U.S. Study Israel Occupation Tactics

LeadMagnet

Platinum Member
Mar 26, 2003
Article

JERUSALEM -- In an apparent search for pointers on how to police a hostile population, the U.S. military that's trying to bring security to Iraq is showing interest in Israeli software instructing soldiers on how to behave in the West Bank and Gaza, an Israeli military official said Thursday.

Using animated graphics and clips from movies like "Apocalypse Now," the software outlines a "code of conduct" for avoiding abuse of civilians while manning roadblocks, searching homes and conducting other activities, said Lt. Col. Amos Guiora, head of the School of Military Law.

Israeli troops have frequently faced criticism from Palestinian and human rights groups. Two weeks ago, Amnesty International said in a report that Israeli military checkpoints and curfews violate Palestinians' human rights.

U.S. soldiers have also faced criticism in Iraq, where they have been accused of using excessive force.

In a reflection of tensions in Iraq, guerrillas ambushed two U.S. military convoys Thursday, wounding two soldiers. And a nervous American patrol shot at a wedding party late Wednesday, killing a 14-year-old boy and wounding six other people after mistaking celebratory gunfire for an attack, witnesses said.

Guiora told The Associated Press that U.S. military officials had recently seen the software, which was developed this year, and expressed interest. As a result, he said, the military is now working on an English version for them.

A U.S. official with the Embassy in Tel Aviv would say only that American officers have seen the Israeli software and considered it useful.

Guiora said the software was developed after military lawyers found themselves giving dry lectures to disinterested audiences of troops.

"There are complicated issues. The fact that this (software) is so user-friendly, that it has the movie clips, the sounds, the animation -- we felt this was the best way," he said.

Israel's military has set up dozens of roadblocks in the West Bank and Gaza to keep suicide bombers out of Israel. But Palestinians say the travel restrictions unfairly make life a misery for millions. In some cases, sick Palestinians heading to hospitals have died at roadblocks.

Human rights groups have also accused troops of using excessive force and said soldiers are often confused about the rules-of-engagement.

The "code of conduct" includes principles such as not shooting at anyone who is surrendering, showing respect for religious and cultural artifacts and providing medical care to anyone injured -- conditions permitting.

Guiora said the software, which is currently being distributed to junior commanders in military, also includes scenarios often encountered by troops.

In one, he said, two soldiers drive up to a pile of rocks blocking the road and are told it may be mined. What to do -- call mine-clearing experts, remove the rocks themselves, or get some Palestinians to do it? Anyone choosing the last option is disabused by the program.

Article

BaliBabyDoc

Lifer
Jan 20, 2001
I think the British or French would be better tutors than the IDF. If anything Israel can certainly give a lesson on what "not to do".

magomago

Lifer
Sep 28, 2002
So does that mean we plan to actively supress the Iraqis for a few decades?

I'd agree with Balibabydoc on this one

Miramonti

Lifer
Aug 26, 2000
Good idea. We're now going to learn how to pound iraqi cities and neighborhoods into oblivion for every death they cause. That'll ease the tension and we'll soon be getting along like the israeli and palestinian lovebirds.

And god forbid some iraqi kids throw any stones at our troups...

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
Originally posted by: LeadMagnet

No - just till we pump it`s oil dry

rolleye.gif
No, fool. Israel has shown what it can do with its hands tied behind its back. Unleashed, she could do even better, by cleansing the territories of terror. But she is constrained by different variables.

Central Command, on the other hand, isn't really constrained. And it has a political strategy that is parallel to the military one.

BTW, Arafat needs to be liquidated as soon as humanly possible. I have money riding on him (futures) and I'd hate to lose $5.50 over this guy. Any takers?

EDIT: price

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
Great. Perhaps Israel can teach us how to bulldoze old lady's homes, send hellfires into crowded public areas, blast down occupied apartment buildings from helicopter gunships and humiliate the Iraqis to the point where they hate us as much as Palestinians hate Israelis.

Orsorum

Lifer
Dec 26, 2001
Who cares if a few Iraqis die? It's all in the name of Freedom. Besides, as a whole they're still better off than they were under Saddam.

Gotta break a few eggs...

Siwy

Sep 13, 2002
Originally posted by: Dari
Originally posted by: LeadMagnet

No - just till we pump it`s oil dry

rolleye.gif
No, fool. Israel has shown what it can do with its hands tied behind its back. Unleashed, she could do even better, by cleansing the territories of terror. But she is constrained by different variables.

Central Command, on the other hand, isn't really constrained. And it has a political strategy that is parallel to the military one.

What variables? Fear of committing genocide?

BTW, Arafat needs to be liquidated as soon as humanly possible. I have money riding on him (futures) and I'd hate to lose $5.50 over this guy. Any takers?

EDIT: price

So are you in support of "liquidating" democratically elected leaders? Well then I guess you would have no objections when George Bush is liquidated by a country that does not agree with his policies. Lets have a free for all!

People like you give Americans a bad name around the world.

phillyTIM

Golden Member
Jan 12, 2001
Good lord, we know Iraq is doomed now, if Bush is trying to take lessons from Israel!

That country (israel) needs to be wiped out.

lozina

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
Does this mean we are going to build settlements in Iraq and provide a large array of incentives for American settlers to go over there? Maybe after several decades of this we'll have enough population there to justify annexing Iraq!

LilBlinbBlahIce

Golden Member
Dec 31, 2001
And I'm sure these same pro-Israel people, who so unflinchingly love everything about our great Middle Eastern master, will be the first to bivcth 20 years fron now when the Israeli occupation tactics leads to a wave of suicicde bombings, maybe even on our shores. Israel's occupation is based on pure brutality, collective punishment and ruthlessness. If we go down that gutter, America will no longer be a place worth living in. We would have truely given up everything we stand for and would have, in effect, lost the war on terror.

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000
Originally posted by: BaliBabyDoc
I think the British or French would be better tutors than the IDF. If anything Israel can certainly give a lesson on what "not to do".

And the British and French certainly have a much longer history of being oppressive occupiers. They've got the experience!

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000
Originally posted by: phillyTIM
Good lord, we know Iraq is doomed now, if Bush is trying to take lessons from Israel!

Wow I missed this little tidbit. So now you're on the Hamas bandwagon? There was that little political party back in the 30's and 40's that wanted to wipe them out too..

Let's see. You've said the administration needs to be assassinated, you've said that Israel needs to be wiped out.

I'm waiting for BOBDN to give you a high five on this one. Word up brotha?

MAW1082

Jun 17, 2003
I'd like to see the exact ratio of Arabs killed by Israelis: Israelis killed by Arabs. I think that would be something worthwhile to analyze.

burnedout

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999

If memory serves correctly, the Brits were giving instruction to American troops at the start of the occupation. Of course, years in Northern Ireland certainly helps them in this area. Additionally, the AO seems hotter in the north for obvious reasons.

Originally posted by: DealMonkey

Great. Perhaps Israel can teach us how to bulldoze old lady's homes, send hellfires into crowded public areas, blast down occupied apartment buildings from helicopter gunships and humiliate the Iraqis to the point where they hate us as much as Palestinians hate Israelis.

From the report:

"Guiora told The Associated Press that U.S. military officials had recently seen the software, which was developed this year, and expressed interest. As a result, he said, the military is now working on an English version for them."

A U.S. official with the Embassy in Tel Aviv would say only that American officers have seen the Israeli software and considered it useful."

Great. Now where does the report indicate anything about purchasing or integrating the software from an operational perspective? If purchased, will there be modifications? You don't believe an analytical study would be involved before integrating this particular software? Does this software include such features as "bulldoze old lady's homes, send hellfires into crowded public areas, blast down occupied apartment buildings from helicopter gunships and humiliate" <insert denizen of favored cause here>?

Originally posted by: phillyTIM

rolleye.gif
This remark actually deserves no commentary.

Originally posted by: LilBlinbBlahIce

And I'm sure these same pro-Israel people, who so unflinchingly love everything about our great Middle Eastern master, will be the first to bivcth 20 years fron now when the Israeli occupation tactics leads to a wave of suicicde bombings, maybe even on our shores.
So WTF happened on 9/11/01 in NYC and D.C. ? They weren't 'bombing' us? Nope, apparently, 77-ton manned cruise missiles, converted on the fly, doesn't fit such description.

LilBlinbBlahIce

Golden Member
Dec 31, 2001
Originally posted by: burnedout

Originally posted by: LilBlinbBlahIce

And I'm sure these same pro-Israel people, who so unflinchingly love everything about our great Middle Eastern master, will be the first to bivcth 20 years fron now when the Israeli occupation tactics leads to a wave of suicicde bombings, maybe even on our shores.
So WTF happened on 9/11/01 in NYC and D.C. ? They weren't 'bombing' us? Nope, apparently, 77-ton manned cruise missiles, converted on the fly, doesn't fit such description.

I said wave of...

BaliBabyDoc

Lifer
Jan 20, 2001
And the British and French certainly have a much longer history of being oppressive occupiers. They've got the experience!
True . . . and with that experience they've probably gone through every muck up in the book. Hell the Brits have even occupied Iraq.