U.S. shuts down 307 domains ahead of Super Bowl for NFL

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
U.S. shuts down 307 domains ahead of Super Bowl for NFL

You'll notice in the article that the U.S. is now a Guilty until proven Innocent Police State yet at the same time they say it is a "civil" matter.

It also says ICE was empowered to act.

Empowered by who?

2-4-2012

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/technol...-government-seizes-307-domains-230823821.html

Super Bowl bust: U.S. government seizes 307 domains for violating NFL copyrights

U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement agency seized 307 different domains suspected of violating NFL copyrights. Of those, 16 were suspected of illegal streaming. The rest were allegedly selling counterfeit NFL merchandise.

The seizure was conducted under U.S. civil law, not criminal law. That means the affected parties need to prove that the internet domains were not engaging in illegal activity to get them back — an ugly mirror image of the country's usual "innocent until proven guilty" right.

Many of the domains were not being operated by U.S. groups. Because they used U.S. domain suffixes .net, .com, and .org, however, the Immigration and Customs Enforcement agency was empowered to act.

Visitors to any of the seized domains are now greeted by a message from ICE explaining the takedown.

Nemesis 1

Lifer
Dec 30, 2006
They have to . The NFL and all major sports are now gangster controlled . Did you watch the GB. NY game 2 really bad calls . Game changers infact . But GB still took a beating . IN 2010 GB won threee games in same way officals cheating. Ya have the internet check out all the fixed games. Than the gooberment being gangster operated they play well together the Gooberment and major sports . To many people posting plays of NFL Bad calls .

I understand not seeing a foul . But seeing things that never happened = dishonest rigging of games . It can be no other way . If ya seen something that never occurred than your lieing . Or really really bad eyes and your in wrong profession .

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Interesting issue. It sounds like a legitimate need but needing protections against abuse.

I suspect there's no abuse now but 'ban on suspicion' could be abused.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
11 million criminal invaders stroll around freely. Takes 11 years to end a war not even allowed under our current laws. Drugs pour in by the boat load.

Nope, fuck all that, lets regulate the internet, also illegally.

Doppel

Lifer
Feb 5, 2011
Fvckin hell, if anybody had any doubt about SOPA, look at the gov go even without it.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally Posted by JEDIYoda
where the waaaaaahmbulance when you need one...

You don't have a problem with the government shutting down domains, possibly killing legitimate business, without due process?

There are a lot of people like him posting here that hate America mainly of Republican persuasion.

The country is turning in their favor since there are so many of them sadly.

ZaneNBK

Golden Member
Sep 14, 2000
Fvckin hell, if anybody had any doubt about SOPA, look at the gov go even without it.

Perhaps SOPA/PIPA were just sacrificial lambs put there for us to "stop" so we'd think we'd prevented the power grab, when the power grab obviously succeeded long ago.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
11 million criminal invaders stroll around freely. Takes 11 years to end a war not even allowed under our current laws. Drugs pour in by the boat load.

Nope, fuck all that, lets regulate the internet, also illegally.

Free speech is their greatest threat. Their fascists running our gov.

wirednuts

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2007
the nfl is so fucking stupid. the nba and the mlb have it right- let people stream the games for a small fee. now if they could just get rid of blackouts....

Michael

Elite member
Nov 19, 1999
This is not targeted against people living in the USA. The Superbowl is on a free OTA channel and is being streamed officially for free.

This is targeting the overseas market.

In Europe, you pretty much have to be paying for ESPN to get the games.

In Asia (China where I live, for example) it depends. The NFL actually has a very reasonable streaming package you can buy directly from them for the games.

I subscribe to the official NHL package. Unlike people living in the USA that complain about blackouts, my China IP address means no game is blocked.

The law does allow the government to seize assets being for criminal activities and it can be done before a trial. I guess is there was a domain service not based in the USA, then the domains could not be seized.

The streaming sites certainly are breaking US law, does anyone here disagree with that?

Michael

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
the nfl is so fucking stupid. the nba and the mlb have it right- let people stream the games for a small fee. now if they could just get rid of blackouts....

This. I looked at the price to stream games for a season...WOW!!! No thanks!

I only want to stream the games I am not allowed to watch because my area is owned by an out of state team...

Status
Not open for further replies.