U.S. Park Service allows parks to raises fees, some as high as $50 for annual pass

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

CaptainGoodnight

Golden Member
Oct 13, 2000
Sadly even the parks will only be for the rich.

What's maddening is that taxpayer money of the 99% is what pays for the parks to begin with and now many will no longer be able to afford go to a park. Me being one of them.

This is the government you wanted Dave. It's funny that you don't want to pay for it either.

runzwithsizorz

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2002
You know, my dad has this and uses it, and it's a bunch of bullshit. I mean really, it's so far out of whack from the normal pass price as to be insulting. How in the hell do you go from $80 a year, to $10 for life, just by being old? Fuck old people and their lobby groups.

So, after working a lifetime, paying into the government far more than he will ever receive back, your dad, in his final years on this earth gets a discount to *perhaps* see the wonders of nature, and you have a problem with that?
YES, let the butt hurt flow through you.

Last edited:

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
This is the government you wanted Dave. It's funny that you don't want to pay for it either.

Dave is all for other people spending their money or not getting raises when he has to directly pay for it, but if you ask him to work for free or without a raise, he'll be in here with one of his usual illogical, retarded rants.

Don't like it Dave? You're free to move out of the US! I'm sure a few of us will be more than happy to pay for a one-way flight for you.

Last edited:

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
Don't like it Dave? You're free to move out of the US! I'm sure a few of us will be more than happy to pay for a one-way flight for you.

I think I am going to start posting retarded crap about the rich in the US. That way, when I go on vacation, I'll only have to buy my return ticket. >_>

cabri

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 2012
Dave is all for other people spending their money or not getting raises when he has to directly pay for it, but if you ask him to work for free or without a raise, he'll be in here with one of his usual illogical, retarded rants.

such was pointed out previously and he conveniently ignored the question - like most questions asked of him.

Both for the reduction in pay (if corps need income cut, he should also) and the ticket out of the US to a place where it will not be complainable to live at.

Sinsear

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2007
Sadly even the parks will only be for the rich.

What's maddening is that taxpayer money of the 99% is what pays for the parks to begin with and now many will no longer be able to afford go to a park. Me being one of them.

Good news. I can head out to the parks now and there will be less riff raff.

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
such was pointed out previously and he conveniently ignored the question - like most questions asked of him.

Both for the reduction in pay (if corps need income cut, he should also) and the ticket out of the US to a place where it will not be complainable to live at.

Several years ago, Shiner and I offered to buy McOWNED a one-way ticket to Somalia since he seemed so miserable here and mentioned Somalia was better than the US. He wouldn't respond to us (like the coward he is) and kept posting his usual crap. Of course, he always tells people to "leave" if they don't like it, apparently not being smart enough to realize that he is, by far, the biggest complainer here.

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
Several years ago, Shiner and I offered to buy McOWNED a one-way ticket to Somalia since he seemed so miserable here and mentioned Somalia was better than the US. He wouldn't respond to us (like the coward he is) and kept posting his usual crap. Of course, he always tells people to "leave" if they don't like it, apparently not being smart enough to realize that he is, by far, the biggest complainer here.

Maybe if we threw in a house on a Somali beach.... an excellent idea for a gofundme campaign.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
It is already 60 for an annual pass in Florida. Nothing huge for us. However I think that parks should be free or borderline free and that destroying park property should carry serious penalties. It kills me when I see people leave trash on trails.

Thanks for not being one of those.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
It is already 60 for an annual pass in Florida. Nothing huge for us. However I think that parks should be free or borderline free and that destroying park property should carry serious penalties. It kills me when I see people leave trash on trails.
I agree. Parks are supposedly for everyone - one of the few forms of entertainment that is. Well, some people have no disposable income. Should these people now be banned from parks as well?

Frankly, I'd prefer to pay a bit more income tax and see the parks adequately funded, with the caveat that some parks are too heavily patronized and could stand a bit of cost reducing the crowds to keep the parks undamaged.

Sinsear

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2007
I agree. Parks are supposedly for everyone - one of the few forms of entertainment that is. Well, some people have no disposable income. Should these people now be banned from parks as well?

Frankly, I'd prefer to pay a bit more income tax and see the parks adequately funded, with the caveat that some parks are too heavily patronized and could stand a bit of cost reducing the crowds to keep the parks undamaged.

I prefer less riff raff. Imagine having your kids with you and up walks mcowen. Yeah, no thanks.

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
So, how many of the folks who are complaining about the increase in annual passes have actually visited the National Parks more than a couple times since they were adults?

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Plenty of rustic state parks that are just fine. Usually they all have a store and sell firewood and have a camping fee.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
I prefer less riff raff. Imagine having your kids with you and up walks mcowen. Yeah, no thanks.
I've actually had lunch with Dave and his lovely bride. He's a great guy. He's just had some rather unique life experiences that left him less than reasonable about a certain class of people. I figure we all have subjects about which we aren't reasonable; it's part of the human experience.

alzan

Diamond Member
May 21, 2003
Well worth it even with the fee hike. We've gotten lot of enjoyment and relaxation from visiting state parks. Hell our trip to Yellowstone last year was a bargain compared to other vacation options.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
You know, my dad has this and uses it, and it's a bunch of bullshit. I mean really, it's so far out of whack from the normal pass price as to be insulting. How in the hell do you go from $80 a year, to $10 for life, just by being old? Fuck old people and their lobby groups.

Then you'll really ass-plode when you find out us handicapped people get FREE access passes for life...(and at some parks/national monuments, I've been allowed to drive to places where most people have to walk...now if they'll just build roads all over the wilderness so I can see things that currently, only hikers get to see........) :p

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
I've actually had lunch with Dave and his lovely bride. He's a great guy. He's just had some rather unique life experiences that left him less than reasonable about a certain class of people. I figure we all have subjects about which we aren't reasonable; it's part of the human experience.

Dave is a moron with the logical thinking skills of a turnip. It's one thing to have certain views, but it is quite another to lie, distort, and refuse to engage in discussion because you know you're wrong. People would be a little more sympathetic if he weren't such a dishonest, illogical troll and simply said "You're right, I was wrong." He is the laughingstock of AT.

Triumph

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
So, after working a lifetime, paying into the government far more than he will ever receive back, your dad, in his final years on this earth gets a discount to *perhaps* see the wonders of nature, and you have a problem with that?
YES, let the butt hurt flow through you.

Ah yes, the "I deserve it simply for not dying all of these years," argument. My dad ain't hurting for money, and lets be realistic here, if the NPS needs money, then they are losing a LOT of it with this 10/life deal because they could charge 10/year or 20/year or 50/life or some other number and it would STILL be a good deal. The NPS is basically throwing money away yet their operating costs remain static: so who is picking up the tab?

Then you'll really ass-plode when you find out us handicapped people get FREE access passes for life...(and at some parks/national monuments, I've been allowed to drive to places where most people have to walk...now if they'll just build roads all over the wilderness so I can see things that currently, only hikers get to see........) :p

Well I'm ok with that, because I want everyone to enjoy the national parks, and given that many of them are wilderness, that does severly hamper a handicapped person's enjoyment of them. Now on the other hand, an $80/year annual pass or a 50% increase in the entrance fee for a single visit COULD inhibit people of lower economic means from enjoying the parks. All the while the old people are enjoying a ridiculously low cost of entry. I mean RIDICULOUSLY low. It's complete out of step with reality. But some people like scissors man up there think that old people deserve anything they can suck out of the rest of us before they die.

MagickMan

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2008
Something tells me that McOwned has never been to any Theme Parks as their one day admission is more than the annual park service pass in the his OP.

He's an idiot, he doesn't stop to think about anything, really. :\