U.S. on brink of greatest Depression of all time

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000
This was forwarded to me by a friend and of course he said it's all Obama's fault.

Obama has had four years to get us out of this mess. He'll problaby win and get a another four years. When we are still in a mess after eight years is it still going to be someone else's fault?

Pr0d1gy

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2005
Obama has had four years to get us out of this mess. He'll problaby win and get a another four years. When we are still in a mess after eight years is it still going to be someone else's fault?

Yeah, the banks, big business, and politicians who brought our economy to this point in the first place. The same people responsible for it to begin with will still be to blame no matter how long it takes to pull out of it. Obama had almost nothing to do with the current state of our economy.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
We're gonna have a compression, vote for the economy guys! lmfao We've been in a depression since the 08 crash, the right just would never admit it and the media held it up so that they could get them back into office quicker.

The bread lines are just invisible, made possible by electronic bread lines...

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

It's not like he's a dictator. If Repub obstructionism in Congress keeps his feet nailed to the floor, it will be somebody else's fault- theirs.

If they let Dems have their way & that doesn't work, then there would be some legitimacy to it being Dems' fault.

Fat chance of that.

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
Greatest depression of all time is certainlly true, for the future of foxed news.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally Posted by hal2kilo
I give up. I've come to the conclusion that Dave blames his loser life on whoever is president. So he collects information for affirmation of his life status.

I disagree. He blames republicans and corporations. He embraces government even though it was that institution which ruined his life. Cause and effect aren't clear to some.

Where do you get that I "embrace government"?

The only thing I have said on government action is regulation of Corporations.

That is not "embracing government".

That's common sense.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally Posted by dmcowen674
This was forwarded to me by a friend and of course he said it's all Obama's fault.

Negative

If Obama gets another four years and the country is in either the same or worse shape than now then he will clearly be a failure in Economic health.

That does not mean it was his fault however.

He clearly inherited a disaster brought on by previous Republican Administration under Bush that history will show as the downfall of the U.S.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Poor Dave is just a little slow and sad. Honestly don't know why we just don't ban the turd. At least then we could ban their clones (Incorruptible, monovillage, etc.).

I like the deference to free speech, but it's a private forum, time to clean it up.

Who is this we?

You have a mouse in your pocket?

You management?

Perhaps this is a 2nd or 3rd account?

lotus503

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2005
Folks, we're witnessing a First-class meltdown here haha...

...someone is really projecting some inner thoughts online here, and it's not me... :D

It's OK Fai, er, First, let it out, let it out... :D :D

Meltdown is being banned previously on your spidey handle, then logging into chucky account vs taking the time out given by the mods.

Compulsive behavior and the assumption the rules don't apply to you.

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
Who is this we?

You have a mouse in your pocket?

You management?

Perhaps this is a 2nd or 3rd account?

He's pretty much a typical authoritarian/fascist from either party. One that wants to shut up and silence any opposition.
I don't usually agree with you Dave, but at least I read what you say and recognize your right to say it.

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007
He clearly inherited a disaster brought on by previous Republican Administration under Bush that history will show as the downfall of the U.S.

No, because very little evidence actually points to Bush as to why the housing market collapsed and once the Liberals move on to blaming something else we will be left with nothing but the evidence.

Pr0d1gy

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2005
No, because very little evidence actually points to Bush as to why the housing market collapsed and once the Liberals move on to blaming something else we will be left with nothing but the evidence.

Once again, if the Bush admin had taken it's responsibility to provide oversight for the financial industry it would have called out those phony AAA ratings being handed out for high risk securities bundles. That would have prevented most investors from investing in them and almost completely prevented the huge crash it caused when those AAA investments began to falter. The Bush admin was tasked with that job and, instead of doing their jobs, they just looked the other way.

Geee, I wonder why? It's not like someone made trillions of dollars betting against those securities or anything.

Oh wait, yeah they did....

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007
Once again, if the Bush admin had taken it's responsibility to provide oversight for the financial industry it would have called out those phony AAA ratings being handed out for high risk securities bundles. That would have prevented most investors from investing in them and almost completely prevented the huge crash it caused when those AAA investments began to falter. The Bush admin was tasked with that job and, instead of doing their jobs, they just looked the other way.

Geee, I wonder why? It's not like someone made trillions of dollars betting against those securities or anything.

Oh the Republicans tried to get oversight but got stiff resistance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxMInSfanqg&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPSDnGMzIdo&feature=related

Last edited:

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007
The GSE's are not the financial industry.

We've been through this many times, and the one constant to emerge is that you're impervious to facts.

Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac are GSE's and thier regulation wouldn't have prevented this but it sure could have helped it from being as bad as it was. You anly seem to want to acknowledge facts that suit your agenda.

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001
most US states would be better off returning to territory status. Reclaim lost sovereignty and throw out federalism.

MrColin

Platinum Member
May 21, 2003
If the study of economics doesn't give you a sense of doom, you're either not paying attention or you don't have room in your head for anything but rote memorization.

No head of state can fix the underlying problems.

Last edited:

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
most US states would be better off returning to territory status. Reclaim lost sovereignty and throw out federalism.

Heh. Most generous blue states, you mean. Mississippi wouldn't come out ahead, at all.

Pick the winners & losers from this-

individuals-poverty-dp3c167-map.jpg

I do love states' rights small gubmint libertopian drivel- it's like shooting fish in a barrel.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006

So how are Obama's guys doing at providing oversight to the financial industry? How many cases of fraud (among MANY other crimes committed) has his justice department pursued against the big banksters? How about all of the blatant frontrunning and insider trading that is obvious to EVERYONE except "Obama's" regulators?

Basically, what is he doing different?

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
It's not like he's a dictator. If Repub obstructionism in Congress keeps his feet nailed to the floor, it will be somebody else's fault- theirs.

If they let Dems have their way & that doesn't work, then there would be some legitimacy to it being Dems' fault.

Fat chance of that.

Obama can do a TON with zero help from Congress. He has not and will not because he is bought and paid for by the exact same people. Hell, Obama could give one hell of a big reason for the bansters to not pull something like this again with a single phone call.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Obama can do a TON with zero help from Congress. He has not and will not because he is bought and paid for by the exact same people. Hell, Obama could give one hell of a big reason for the bansters to not pull something like this again with a single phone call.

Alleging fraud and proving it, particularly against well insulated deep pockets defendants are entirely different matters.

It's mostly a waste of time. We need to look to the future, to preventing these things from damaging us even more deeply down the road. In that regard, Repubs have been utter obstructionists, something we all need to recognize.

Dodd-Frank is really a rather modest move in the direction of honesty & stability, hated desperately & vilified by all the free market self regulated banking politicos & talking heads of the Right, cock-blocked every millimeter of the way whenever possible.

Obama's recess appointment of Cordray as head is a case in point. It's the only way he got to put leadership in place.

Repub apologists are so tedious.

HamburgerBoy

Lifer
Apr 12, 2004
Heh. Most generous blue states, you mean. Mississippi wouldn't come out ahead, at all.

Pick the winners & losers from this-

individuals-poverty-dp3c167-map.jpg

I do love states' rights small gubmint libertopian drivel- it's like shooting fish in a barrel.

What is your point with this figure? Many of the most impoverished counties (along the Mexican border, the Mississippi river, etc) coincide with the blue counties of red states.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/5d/2000prescountymap2.PNG
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c0/2004prescountymap2.PNG
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/9a/2008prescountymap.PNG

Of course, IGBT's post is retarded as usual, and there are certainly blue states and counties that fall on the good side of the poverty line (see: a lot of the Northeast as well as Wisconsin and Minnesota) but that doesn't really address your claim.

OBLAMA2009

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2008
well its a fact that the us has an unpayable amount of debt and in addition no will to do anything about it. our system of governance just doesnt work, its just a matter of time before this country implodes