U.S. Embassy in Cairo, Egypt has been stormed

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

chucky2

Lifer
Dec 9, 1999
No, but excellent strawman!!!! :\

Why you would say what you did in response to him, and then say this in response to me, is.....mystifying. This person is an American releasing his movie in the US. He can make whatever kind of movie he wants, he doesn't need to think about how other countries are going to receive it, that's their problem, not his.

404 Strawman not found.

Chuck

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
I wonder why NO US Marines guarding the diplomats in Egypt and Libya?

Cost cutting measures to hire foreign security guards?
My understanding, and it's what I heard on the radio this morning, is that they are responsible for security inside the compound. Outside, the local authorities are responsible.

Schmide

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2002
The video was bad, but if you gloss over the religious dogma, it was quite good in an Uni-vision Mexican Soap Opera way. The beginning almost had a Naked Gun feel to it.

Remobz

Platinum Member
Jun 9, 2005
They blew it all on really, really good catering.

Let's hope. Ironically, our greatest hope in this may be that the Islamists continue to behave exactly true to form, overreach... not be patient enough. I have no doubt, if they were patient enough they could conquer the world. I hold out hope that they will prematurely flex their power in Europe, make power plays too early... their men will continue to gang-rape European women on too wide a scale... and incidents like this in Libya and Cairo will continue to happen, and I hope that at some point eyes will open due to this.

And some long dormant will to survive and fight back will awaken in those who currently slumber in the warm blanket of liberal eutopian thinking. Or that at least, they will shut up and get out of the way of what needs to be done being done.

Muslims are known to overreact to the simplest of things. I hate dealing with them on many levels.

Islam is one Religion I would rather slit my throat than convert.

Geosurface

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2012
Muslims are known to overreact to the simplest of things. I hate dealing with them on many levels.

Islam is one Religion I would rather slit my throat than convert.

They offend very easily, yes.

I actually think it is key to offend them. To deliberately, continually offend them.

The end result will be one of two things:

1.) Remove the mystique of awe and respect from their religion, helping them to eventually give it up as superstition. The same way most Christians have learned to water down their stupid religion and take it far less seriously.

2.) Provoke them into showing just how dangerous and out of step with the modern world they are, justifying their wide scale destruction in response.

Either way is a win. It can also be a combination.

I'm perfectly fine with Islam surviving in some form, a watered down, neutered form devoid of any passion, much like Christianity has become. That Islam is acceptable, though no religion worldwide would be preferable.

Islam in it's current, passionate, high-blooded state MUST end.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000

As prviously stated, the local authorities are responsible for securign outside the walls.

the Marines are responsible for inside the walls.

w/respect to Egypt; the story is the SoS told the people to bug out rather than stay and defend our national interest/property. She felt that there ws no need for a confrontatino

W/ respect to Libya; one story is that the locals arrived at the embassy and were told that the people they were looking for were not there. The local authorities provided information on where they were. Then the consulate (no security other than locals) was attacked, taken and the ambassador along with 3 others killed.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003

Movies tend to misrepresent what (assigned) Marines actually do at the embassy. Their primary mission is to safeguard classified materials from falling into the wrong hands.

ichy

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2006

The killings in Libya took place the consulate in Benghazi. In general there's only a Marine security detachment at the embassy. Consulates have always been protected by local security.

Also some stories are saying that the two unidentified dead Americans were Marines. Who knows what really happened.

ichy

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2006
Movies tend to misrepresent what (assigned) Marines actually do at the embassy. Their primary mission is to safeguard classified materials from falling into the wrong hands.

The Marine detachments at embassies are also quite small. Not much they could do against a really big mob.

Vic Vega

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2010
The black flag, which hangs atop a ladder inside the compound, is adorned with white characters that read, "There is no God but Allah and Mohammad is his messenger," an emblem often used in al Qaeda propaganda.

Bat shit insane.

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
Why you would say what you did in response to him, and then say this in response to me, is.....mystifying. This person is an American releasing his movie in the US. He can make whatever kind of movie he wants, he doesn't need to think about how other countries are going to receive it, that's their problem, not his.

404 Strawman not found.

Chuck

If you can't grasp the concept that freedom of speech isn't absolute, then I don't think we have anything more to talk about.

EagleKeeper

Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Egyptian government is two faced.
Link

Praises the protesters in Arabic and condemns them in English.

Which is Obama supporting?

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
The Egyptian government is playing a dangerous game right now...they have to walk a fine line to prevent anarchy.

EagleKeeper

Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
The Egyptian government is playing a dangerous game right now...they have to walk a fine line to prevent anarchy.

I do not think the line is anarchy;

It is to present a positive (aka false) face to the Western world ($$ aid) at the same time cement their position in the Arab world (political influence)

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
I do not think the line is anarchy;

It is to present a positive (aka false) face to the Western world ($$ aid) at the same time cement their position in the Arab world (political influence)

That is too simplified. They have a huge population base which is demanding Islamic rule. They also have another group that makes the Muslim Brotherhood look like boyscouts trying to gain power...and that group appears to many of the population base.

The government cannot alienate those people - thereby giving the other group more strength - so they have to play a dangerous version of politics.

chucky2

Lifer
Dec 9, 1999
If you can't grasp the concept that freedom of speech isn't absolute, then I don't think we have anything more to talk about.

If you can't grasp the concept that people are free in America to make movies without fear of someone killing them for it, and without fear of others killing others over the movie, then I don't think we have anything more to talk about.

In response you can explain why you think women who dress risque in the US are at fault for ME people raping women over in the ME specifically because of the US women dressing like that in the US.

Where's that eating popcorn emoticon, this'll be good (since it's exactly the same thing)...

Chuck