U.S. economy loses about 1,340,000 jobs for the first half of the year.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: Corbett
Originally posted by: Red Dawn
Originally posted by: WhipperSnapper

[Bush the Black Knight] It's just a flesh wound [/Bush the Black knight]

OMG! EVERYTHING IS BUSH'S FAULT!!!!!!!
Cool, I've got my very own stalker:thumbsup:

Hardly! What you have is a serious case of BDS.
Compared to your RSS?

Corbett

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005

[Bush the Black Knight] It's just a flesh wound [/Bush the Black knight]

OMG! EVERYTHING IS BUSH'S FAULT!!!!!!!
Cool, I've got my very own stalker:thumbsup:

Hardly! What you have is a serious case of BDS.
Compared to your RSS?

Actually, you are the one who posts so much about how bad Bush is that you probably SHOULD start an RSS feed to keep it all in one place.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
[
Actually, you are the one who posts so much about how bad Bush is that you probably SHOULD start an RSS feed to keep it all in one place.
Wait, he's not a bad President?

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001
[

Of course not. He's the great RINO hope!

Corbett

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005
[

The question isn't "Is he a bad president" the questions is "Is everthing his fault?" like you consistently post here.

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001
[

The question isn't "Is he a bad president" the questions is "Is everthing his fault?" like you consistently post here.

Not everything, but almost.

shiner

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
Dammit...why can't I ever find a pen that works? I need to add the OP to my list of P&N nutcases.

Ahh...there we go. Time to update the list.

dmcowen674 - check
Specop 007 - check
Braznor - check
jpeyton - check
techs - check
Perry404 - check
Butterbean - check
ProfJohn - check
WhipperSnapper - check

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
[

Well my post wasn't alluding to it being his fault, it was an analogy where I used a line from Monty Python's Holy Grail where the Black Knight, though losing an arm, was denying that it was a serious problem just like Bush and his followers are denying the steady loss of good jobs are a serious problem.

I will admit that it isn't a serious as the OP states, I think he's gone way off of the deep end , much like the others Shiners listed.

shiner

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
[

Well my post wasn't alluding to it being his fault, it was an analogy where I used a line from Monty Python's Holy Grail where the Black Knight, though losing an arm, was denying that it was a serious problem just like Bush and his followers are denying the steady loss of good jobs are a serious problem.

I will admit that it isn't a serious as the OP states, I think he's gone way off of the deep end , much like the others Shiners listed.

Um, look, if we built this large wooden badger.....

yuppiejr

Golden Member
Jul 31, 2002
I can't believe we've gotten this far in a Bush bashing + Monty Python quoting tangent and nobody has thrown out "..You must return here with a shrubbery. One that looks nice... and not TOOOOO expensive."

shiner

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say ni at will to old ladies. There is a pestilence upon this land, nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress at this period in history.

OokiiNeko

Jun 14, 2003
Anyone who thinks the US will be anything approaching a third world country any time in the conceivable future has never been to a third world country.
So when are moving to Detroit?

Rest of Michigan ain`t far behind. Since all the "fuel efficient" Big Three vehicles are going to be built in brand new plants in Mexico.

:)

Dec 30, 2004
Originally posted by: soccerballtux

That's only 0.33% of our population, so say working population is 100m, that's an increase of 1% in unemployment.

What are we at now? 6%? Not bad. To be expected.

A 1% loss over a six month time period is pretty significant.

As for that 6% number, as has been stated many times in various threads, the reported "unemployment" numbers completely fail to reflect the real status of the job market as a result of not counting a great many people who are unemployed and by completely failing to account for significant underemployment. A much better stat would be one that looked at the percentage of working-aged people employed at various income levels. After all, if 97% of the populace is employed at a third world wage of $3/hour then technically you only have 3% unemployment even though everyone is impoverished.

I agree it is significant, but as I said to be expected during a recession.

As for your latter post, I agree we will be in for some rough times ahead. Maybe. Technology always delivers. Electric cars will solve our woes. Genetically engineered crops can be used to re-fertilize the soil instead of oil-based fertilizer. We've got plenty of oil left though, plenty. Canada has as much as the whole middle east, in their sand beds.

Cutting welfare would be a nice step towards solving population woes.

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000
Sweet. I'm going to start hopping over the border to hire some Michiganites as indentured servants. You got a cute daughter, WhipperSnapper?

neodyn55

Oct 16, 2007
Yes, a 'third world' where poor people are obese, SUVs are still plentiful, and 'slums' are actually houses with plumbing and electricity.

OP needs to spend a month in Bangladesh.

neodyn55

Oct 16, 2007

That's only 0.33% of our population, so say working population is 100m, that's an increase of 1% in unemployment.

As for that 6% number, as has been stated many times in various threads, the reported "unemployment" numbers completely fail to reflect the real status of the job market as a result of not counting a great many people who are unemployed and by completely failing to account for significant underemployment. A much better stat would be one that looked at the percentage of working-aged people employed at various income levels. After all, if 97% of the populace is employed at a third world wage of $3/hour then technically you only have 3% unemployment even though everyone is impoverished.

As for your latter post, I agree we will be in for some rough times ahead. Maybe. Technology always delivers. Electric cars will solve our woes. Genetically engineered crops can be used to re-fertilize the soil instead of oil-based fertilizer. We've got plenty of oil left though, plenty. Canada has as much as the whole middle east, in their sand beds.

Why welfare? why not the Iraq war?

EDIT: Oh, you mentioned 'population woes'

In that case, institute the draft and attack Iran.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
Originally posted by: neodyn55

Why welfare? why not the Iraq war?

The Iraq war is creating a lot of jobs.

Ozoned

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2004
Well, with our newly acquired Iraqi oil fields coming on line, and our goal of acquiring Iran's and our South American friend Hugo's energy resporces, I am pretty sure that we will weather this little squall.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Originally posted by: Pabster
Originally posted by: dmcowen674
There are plans in place for soup lines.

There have been 'soup lines' since the beginning of time, Dave. :roll:

We even had soup lines during Clintons administration. I know, impossible to believe that some people fail to get themselves out of situations!

Jun 27, 2005

There are plans in place for soup lines.

There are no soup lines in third world countries. Just dictators with guns shouting "NO SOUP FOR JOOO!!!"

ultra laser

Banned
Jul 2, 2007
It'll be a few generations at least before America becomes third world. We have simply too many first world people here at the moment. But with rampant illegal immigration and low first world birth rates that will change with time.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: LegendKiller
Originally posted by: PC Surgeon
"Its all cyclical." - LegendKiller

It is. Times get worse, times get better. It's the nature of the numan psyche to not have a level headed POV on the nature of the economy or the capital markets. Insanity, irrationality, greed, and fear, lead to cyclical markets. But you know what? We shouldn't want to have it any other way.

Yep, we need the 1930's Depression cycle.

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001
Originally posted by: LegendKiller
Originally posted by: PC Surgeon
"Its all cyclical." - LegendKiller

It is. Times get worse, times get better. It's the nature of the numan psyche to not have a level headed POV on the nature of the economy or the capital markets. Insanity, irrationality, greed, and fear, lead to cyclical markets. But you know what? We shouldn't want to have it any other way.

Yep, we need the 1930's Depression cycle.

I wouldn't go that far, but I do think we need to return to rationality.