U.S. checking possibility of pumping oil from northern Iraq to Haifa, via Jordan

GrGr

Diamond Member
Sep 25, 2003

U.S. checking possibility of pumping oil from northern Iraq to Haifa, via Jordan
By Amiram Cohen Haaretz

The United States has asked Israel to check the possibility of pumping oil from Iraq to the oil refineries in Haifa. The request came in a telegram last week from a senior Pentagon official to a top Foreign Ministry official in Jerusalem.

The Prime Minister's Office, which views the pipeline to Haifa as a "bonus" the U.S. could give to Israel in return for its unequivocal support for the American-led campaign in Iraq, had asked the Americans for the official telegram.

The new pipeline would take oil from the Kirkuk area, where some 40 percent of Iraqi oil is produced, and transport it via Mosul, and then across Jordan to Israel. The U.S. telegram included a request for a cost estimate for repairing the Mosul-Haifa pipeline that was in use prior to 1948. During the War of Independence, the Iraqis stopped the flow of oil to Haifa and the pipeline fell into disrepair over the years.

The National Infrastructure Ministry has recently conducted research indicating that construction of a 42-inch diameter pipeline between Kirkuk and Haifa would cost about $400,000 per kilometer. The old Mosul-Haifa pipeline was only 8 inches in diameter.

National Infrastructure Minister Yosef Paritzky said yesterday that the port of Haifa is an attractive destination for Iraqi oil and that he plans to discuss this matter with the U.S. secretary of energy during his planned visit to Washington next month. Paritzky added that the plan depends on Jordan's consent and that Jordan would receive a transit fee for allowing the oil to piped through its territory. The minister noted, however, that "due to pan-Arab concerns, it will be hard for the Jordanians to agree to the flow of Iraqi oil via Jordan and Israel."

Sources in Jerusalem confirmed yesterday that the Americans are looking into the possibility of laying a new pipeline via Jordan and Israel. (There is also a pipeline running via Syria that has not been used in some three decades.)

Iraqi oil is now being transported via Turkey to a small Mediterranean port near the Syrian border. The transit fee collected by Turkey is an important source of revenue for the country. This line has been damaged by sabotage twice in recent weeks and is presently out of service.

In response to rumors about the possible Kirkuk-Mosul-Haifa pipeline, Turkey has warned Israel that it would regard this development as a serious blow to Turkish-Israeli relations.

Sources in Jerusalem suggest that the American hints about the alternative pipeline are part of an attempt to apply pressure on Turkey.

Iraq is one of the world's largest oil producers, with the potential of reaching about 2.5 million barrels a day. Oil exports were halted after the Gulf War in 1991 and then were allowed again on a limited basis (1.5 million barrels per day) to finance the import of food and medicines. Iraq is currently exporting several hundred thousand barrels of oil per day.

During his visit to Washington in about two weeks, Paritzky also plans to discuss the possibility of U.S. and international assistance for joint Israeli-Palestinian projects in the areas of energy and infrastructure, natural gas, desalination and electricity.

The US already has advanced plans for the Iraqi people's oil looks like.

mfs378

May 19, 2003
Israel needs to be rewarded? As though Israel would be against any sort of military action by the US in the middle east.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
Yes, thats a great idea. It is sure to increase the Iraqi insurgents and basically end any hope of peace in Iraq.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: GrGr
By Amiram Cohen Haaretz

The United States has asked Israel to check the possibility of pumping oil from Iraq to the oil refineries in Haifa. The request came in a telegram last week from a senior Pentagon official to a top Foreign Ministry official in Jerusalem.

The Prime Minister's Office, which views the pipeline to Haifa as a "bonus" the U.S. could give to Israel in return for its unequivocal support for the American-led campaign in Iraq, had asked the Americans for the official telegram.

The new pipeline would take oil from the Kirkuk area, where some 40 percent of Iraqi oil is produced, and transport it via Mosul, and then across Jordan to Israel.

The U.S. telegram included a request for a cost estimate for repairing the Mosul-Haifa pipeline that was in use prior to 1948.

During the War of Independence, the Iraqis stopped the flow of oil to Haifa and the pipeline fell into disrepair over the years.

The National Infrastructure Ministry has recently conducted research indicating that construction of a 42-inch diameter pipeline between Kirkuk and Haifa would cost about $400,000 per kilometer. The old Mosul-Haifa pipeline was only 8 inches in diameter.

Paritzky added that the plan depends on Jordan's consent and that Jordan would receive a transit fee for allowing the oil to piped through its territory.

The minister noted, however, that "due to pan-Arab concerns, it will be hard for the Jordanians to agree to the flow of Iraqi oil via Jordan and Israel."

Sources in Jerusalem confirmed yesterday that the Americans are looking into the possibility of laying a new pipeline via Jordan and Israel. (There is also a pipeline running via Syria that has not been used in some three decades.)

Iraqi oil is now being transported via Turkey to a small Mediterranean port near the Syrian border. The transit fee collected by Turkey is an important source of revenue for the country.

This line has been damaged by sabotage twice in recent weeks and is presently out of service.

In response to rumors about the possible Kirkuk-Mosul-Haifa pipeline, Turkey has warned Israel that it would regard this development as a serious blow to Turkish-Israeli relations.

Sources in Jerusalem suggest that the American hints about the alternative pipeline are part of an attempt to apply pressure on Turkey.

Iraq is one of the world's largest oil producers, with the potential of reaching about 2.5 million barrels a day.

The REAL reason for the false war in Iraq

Drift3r

Jun 3, 2003
You know Israel will then try to claim Iraqi Oil as their own and us it as another reason to wage war or have the US do it via proxy.

chucky2

Lifer
Dec 9, 1999
Very nice move by someone up there pulling strings.

Puts pressure on Turkey for messing around too harshly with the Kurds in Iraq, puts pressure on Iraqi Leadership to get on with their sh1t else others will start making their decisions for them.

Running a new pipeline will take years probably, but the real threat of this should work very well...

A Harvey trifecta Emoticon for whoever thought this up!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Chuck

magomago

Lifer
Sep 28, 2002
that pipeline will be [------one of-----] the most attacked lines in this world if this happens - and in this instance, I would COMPLETELY support the continued destruction of that pipeline. Normalization of Arab countries with Israel should occur all at once - not this bit by piece aspect where it waters down the bargaining power of Arab nations.

edit:

after thinking about it, I changed my mind about being one of the most attacked lines. It will be THE most attacked lines ~ and any sectarian violence will easily evaporate and unite the Iraqis.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Could build a pipeline underground that is harder to find and under a hardened Shell. If you can not find it you can not blow it up.

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
An oil pipeline from Iraq to Israel will have a bullseye the size of China painted on it.

And you thought insurgents enjoyed blowing up pipelines serving Iraqis; wait till they get wind of this.

:laugh:

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
You guys are clueless. Who you think arms the Kurds? Kurds are great friends with Israelis both sharing a kinship being victims of Arab Genocide so they wont blow the pipe in their region and wont let Arabs do it either. And I mean wont let like kill any Arab man woman or child getting near pipe. I'm not understanding the Jordan flow though simply cant get though.

DarkThinker

Platinum Member
Mar 17, 2007
Originally posted by: Zebo
You guys are clueless. Who you think arms the Kurds? Kurds are great friends with Israelis both sharing a kinship being victims of Arab Genocide so they wont blow the pipe in their region and wont let Arabs do it either. And I mean wont let like kill any Arab man woman or child getting near pipe. I'm not understanding the Jordan flow though simply cant get though.

Stop right there, I want proof showing that the Israelis are victims of Arab genocide ASAP!

I'll be damned, didn't the Israelis just like kill a thousand helpless civilians in my country last Summer? I didn't hear anything about a genocide against Arabs to be honest, but that's just me!

Plus, how are the Kurds victims of Arab genocide? They had political issues with Saddam in Iraq yes, they got something which they didn't deserve out of it yes, but again that's Saddam and that's how he ruled his countrymen why is it a pan Arab guilt trip now?

Get your facts right Mr Biased Poster.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Originally posted by: DarkThinker
You guys are clueless. Who you think arms the Kurds? Kurds are great friends with Israelis <both sharing a kinship being victims of Arab Genocide so they wont blow the pipe in their region and wont let Arabs do it either. And I mean wont let like kill any Arab man woman or child getting near pipe. I'm not understanding the Jordan flow though simply cant get though.

Stop right there, I want proof showing that the Israelis are victims of Arab genocide ASAP!

I'll be damned, didn't the Israelis just like kill a thousand helpless civilians in my country last Summer? I didn't hear anything about a genocide against Arabs to be honest, but that's just me!

Plus, how are the Kurds victims of Arab genocide? They had political issues with Saddam in Iraq yes, they got something which they didn't deserve out of it yes, but again that's Saddam and that's how he ruled his countrymen why is it a pan Arab guilt trip now?

You are sadly mistaken.....
You mean didn`t the citizens of your country allow the enemy to use there homes and neighborhoods to atack the Israeli`s and then cry because the israeli`s were going after the enemy who were being aided by your people.....hmmmm

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
Originally posted by: JEDIYoda
You guys are clueless. Who you think arms the Kurds? Kurds are great friends with Israelis <<both sharing a kinship being victims of Arab Genocide so they wont blow the pipe in their region and wont let Arabs do it either. And I mean wont let like kill any Arab man woman or child getting near pipe. I'm not understanding the Jordan flow though simply cant get though.

You mean didn`t the citizens of your country allow the enemy to use there homes and neighborhoods to atack the Israeli`s and then cry because the israeli`s were going after the enemy who were being aided by your people.....hmmmm

Exactly. There were no innocents killed in the Summer war in Lebanon. The lebanese were sheltering terrorists, and those killed via "collateral damage" got what they had coming.

I fully endorse the idea of this pipeline. This is really sticking it to them. :D

DarkThinker

Platinum Member
Mar 17, 2007
Originally posted by: Nebor
You guys are clueless. Who you think arms the Kurds? Kurds are great friends with Israelis <<<<<<both sharing a kinship being victims of Arab Genocide so they wont blow the pipe in their region and wont let Arabs do it either. And I mean wont let like kill any Arab man woman or child getting near pipe. I'm not understanding the Jordan flow though simply cant get though.

Exactly. There were no innocents killed in the Summer war in Lebanon. The lebanese were sheltering terrorists, <<<and those killed via "collateral damage" got what they had coming.

You sir are a blood thirsty terrorist either you believe it or not, what a hypocrite IMO.

I fully endorse the idea of this pipeline. This is really sticking it to them. :D

TBH, after you revealed your identity to me, I hope they stick the pipeline up your ass, not the old 8" one, tst tst tst, you deserve the 42incher treatment.

Enjoy.

DarkThinker

Platinum Member
Mar 17, 2007
You guys are clueless. Who you think arms the Kurds? Kurds are great friends with Israelis <<both sharing a kinship being victims of Arab Genocide so they wont blow the pipe in their region and wont let Arabs do it either. And I mean wont let like kill any Arab man woman or child getting near pipe. I'm not understanding the Jordan flow though simply cant get though.

Man, that was amazing... NO sarcasm there, I just really admire the way our pro-Israeli members can clean Israel hands of any innocent civilian blood! Amaaazing, so let me see if I am following the algorithm correctly here, just say that all those who got killed were supporting Hizbollah / sheltered Hizbollah fighters one way or the other, supported party comes out with a clean sheet and everyone will applaud you for being a fcking hero for using all what's in your high tech US tax payer funded arsenal on a bunch of defenseless civilians that don't have as much of a powerful army to defend them. Fckn incredible, I need to observe you guys technique closer next time, I could learn a thing or two you know? You never know when the tables would turn around and my country starts receiving $30bn military packages we would need to have a pre-compiled list of excuses before we get to have our way with the Israelis *<rubs hands*>

Let me tell you what I think straight from the heart here all kidding aside, had it been a 1000 Israelis in the same situation, it would have been declared as the second holocaust and every Lebanese participant or not, supporter or not, would be labeled in the most horrific of ways and would have to carry a mark of shame on their faces wherever they go till the rest of time pretty much. Tell me that's not true?

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
My personal feeling is that Israel destroyed Lebanon, not so much because of Hezbollah, but because they were close to becoming an economic competitor.

magomago

Lifer
Sep 28, 2002
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
My personal feeling is that Israel destroyed Lebanon, not so much because of Hezbollah, but because they were close to becoming an economic competitor.

:thumbsup: Ding Ding! So as long as the region AROUND Israel remains sh|t - the only economically viable place to invest IS Israel in the Middle East. Dubai maybe taking that financial mantle, but Dubai is also ridiculously expensive and envisions itself more as a center for banking and tourism - which leaves out many other industries.

Why else do you think places like a CIVILIAN AIRPORT would be bombed?

Darkthinker- just ignore Nebor ~ he is a radical to the core and doesn't care about any people at all as seen here:

Originally posted by: Nebor
Do you really think I care? I would directly translate foreign peoples' lives into dollars if there was an exchange to do it.

5to1baby1in5

Golden Member
Apr 27, 2001
Originally posted by: piasabird
Could build a pipeline underground that is harder to find and under a hardened Shell. If you can not find it you can not blow it up.

You have to come up above ground for pump stations and isolation valve every so often. Plus if the terrain is not flat, then you have to come up to cross rivers, and go up mountains.

I'm sure the columbians know how hard it is to keep a pipeline together. Maybe we could hire the drug cartells as consultants.:p

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Woot - the neocon looting plan sees tremendous progress

Define tremendous. 4 years and this is all the potential looting they can muster?
I am thinking our definitions are different.

magomago

Lifer
Sep 28, 2002
Originally posted by: Genx87
Woot - the neocon looting plan sees tremendous progress

Define tremendous. 4 years and this is all the potential looting they can muster?
I am thinking our definitions are different.

Well it was obvious from the start that even with the most ideal conditions - it would take a few years to rebuild infrastructure for oil drilling since sanctions hurt the maintenence of the facilities. Only a sheep would have really thought that oil would immediately be pumped in plentiful quantities and Iraqis would pay for their own reconstruaction.

And the Iraqis have not helped at all considering how many oil pipelines are being bombed and will continue to be bombed so as long as they are not running their own country without our military interference.

Oh - and watch Iraq for sale if you want to see REAL looting of money...especially American Taxpayers

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
the neocon looting plan sees tremendous progress

How do you think that the Neocons (I guess the USA) is going to benefit from this?

I don't readily see any benefit to USA from this. Jordan and Israel, yeah. But the USA?

While I can see security problems refining oil in Iraq (maybe not the northern part, but otherwise), I don't see where Israel is any safer. I didn't know they had a refinery there, kinda of surprised it hasn't already been hit by a rocket attack.

This reminds me how little I know about global refinery capacity. I understand ours are at full capacity, but don't know who else has (excess) capacity. (Iran doesn't from what I understand). Anybody here know?

Fern