U.S. budget deficit down 37.6 percent

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
http://www.irs.gov/uac/Medical-Device-Excise-Tax:-Frequently-Asked-Questions

you did not look very hard... plus there are quite a few other taxes related to obamacare that are new laws but some have not kicked in.

As for the Obamacare stuff, I specifically asked for taxes up to this point (i.e. in effect NOW). You have shown one...any more?

I've searched for this before so this is not he first time. I want to know what all of these huge tax hikes are that have killed us since Obama took office? Obama is a cut tax and spend more President from what I can tell. Sure, taxes might go up next year after Obamacare kicks in but his record up to now as been far from raising taxes on the majority of people in this country (but you guys knew that).

Nov 30, 2006
So he posts one tax and that's it? Seriously...you guys act like Obama has came in and raised taxes through the roof for EVERYONE. My taxes have a net cut if you factor in the 2 years that my SS was reduced (letting me take 2% more of my income home).

If one medical excise tax is all you've got, you don't have a leg to stand on when spouting your bullshit.
LOL troll. Go away...I'm not going to feed you.

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
LOL troll. Go away...I'm not going to feed you.

Then stop spouting your shit about Obama raising taxes then. Simple as that.

Edit: Oh, and you attack my ability as an engineer (which you don't have a clue about - but of course, you knew that) because I (and from the looks - you) cannot find all of the tax hikes that Obama has thrown upon us. As they say, if you can't attack the message, attack the messenger.

Last edited:

classy

Lifer
Oct 12, 1999
Republican: Great, only $670B more in cuts until the budget is balanced!

Democrat: Great, that gives us the headspace for at least $400B or so in new spending!

LOL

I gotta admit, it is probably along those lines

:)

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
LOL

I gotta admit, it is probably along those lines

:)
This:
Democrat: Great, that gives us the headspace for at least $400B or so in new spending!

Plus:
Republican: Great, that gives us the headspace for at least $400B or so in new spending once we have a Republican President!
Democrat: Great, only $670B more in tax increases until we declare the budget is balanced - ignoring that $400B or so in new spending, of course!

At least for the leadership, second verse, same as the first.

chucky2

Lifer
Dec 9, 1999
This:

Plus:
Republican: Great, that gives us the headspace for at least $400B or so in new spending once we have a Republican President!
Democrat: Great, only $670B more in tax increases until we declare the budget is balanced - ignoring that $400B or so in new spending, of course!

At least for the leadership, second verse, same as the first.

Yes, this times infinity.

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
So he posts one tax and that's it? Seriously...you guys act like Obama has came in and raised taxes through the roof for EVERYONE. My taxes have a net cut if you factor in the 2 years that my SS was reduced (letting me take 2% more of my income home).

If one medical excise tax is all you've got, you don't have a leg to stand on when spouting your bullshit.

Since you're the one who claimed that Obama has raised taxes, you show me that he has...otherwise, you're full of shit (will retract that AND apologize when you produce the goods to backup your keyboard).

I only posted one because really.... You would refuse to believe what I showed you.

But if you are curious:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=List+of+new+Obama+taxes

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
I only posted one because really.... You would refuse to believe what I showed you.

But if you are curious:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=List+of+new+Obama+taxes

No, I wouldn't refuse. I see many Obamacare taxes "upcoming" but not so much on the "up to this point" view. I'll look and see if these are in effect now or will be in effect in the future.

Edit: I saw some "suggestions" for new taxes (Vodka, Ciggs, etc), but nothing showing that they actually passed. I saw the bracket rates were "supposed" to go up (10 to 15, etc) but that was "headed off at the pass" and stopped.

Short of Obamacare stuff, I just don't see these massive tax increases that is spouted all the time. Might see them in the near future but not currently (and yes, I understand that just because my taxes didn't go up (actually went down) doesn't mean that other's didn't go up).

If you (or anyone else) are talking about local governments and state government raising tax rates, I can say that's probably true. Many have received less federal funding as well as a lower tax base (as incomes stagnated and people lost jobs) so they have raised taxes (property, etc) to make up for it. Up to "now" though, the federal tax burden is as low as it has been for the past 5 years (or lower for those of us who get to take advantage of the extended college credits and other credits that were extended by the Obama administration).

Last edited:

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
No, I wouldn't refuse. I see many Obamacare taxes "upcoming" but not so much on the "up to this point" view. I'll look and see if these are in effect now or will be in effect in the future.

Edit: I saw some "suggestions" for new taxes (Vodka, Ciggs, etc), but nothing showing that they actually passed. I saw the bracket rates were "supposed" to go up (10 to 15, etc) but that was "headed off at the pass" and stopped.

Short of Obamacare stuff, I just don't see these massive tax increases that is spouted all the time. Might see them in the near future but not currently (and yes, I understand that just because my taxes didn't go up (actually went down) doesn't mean that other's didn't go up).

Cig taxes did go up. It was right after his first election.

2013 brought a tax increase. It was primarily for those with AGI above $200,000.

Obamacare adds something like 20 new or increased taxes.

Now he's talking a new cellphone tax.

Fern

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
I personally think it is a combination of the ending of the Bush tax cuts (after one or two extensions on it) for people making more than 250k or 300k (not sure which bracket they decided on) and the reduction of spending.

Going forward, I'd suggest keeping the taxes at the same level and some of the foreign aid and military spending should be shifted to infrastructure improvements which are indeed very much needed.

Here is a report on the U.S. infrastructure.
http://www.infrastructurereportcard.org/

if you don't like that source here is an earlier report

http://www.reuters.com/article/2009/01/28/us-usa-infrastructure-grade-idUSTRE50R0UL20090128

Setting those links aside. When a bridge collapses while people are driving over it.
http://www.popularmechanics.com/tec...nesota-bridge-collapse-5-years-later-11254114
On August 1, 2007, an old, blandly ominous truism—America’s infrastructure is crumbling—turned deadly real. The I-35W bridge in Minneapolis buckled. Rush-hour traffic that was stalled on the bridge went into free fall; as dozens of vehicles plummeted into the Mississippi River. Thirteen people died, and 145 were hurt.
there might be a problem

Our infrastructure is a problem and questionable spending should be redirected toward much needed maintenance of it.

Remember better roads also leads to reduced maintenance costs on the vehicles that drive over those roads as well.

First

Lifer
Jun 3, 2002
You're spoon-feeding an engineer who specializes in high-order problem solving? Either he's a really bad engineer or he's just pretending to be stupid imo.

For someone who criticizes another person's problem solving skills, you sure do seem scant on the details of federal tax increases since Obama came into office. I see a tax increase on $400K earning families, 99% of whom won't feel that hit, this past January. I see SS payroll taxes decreased from 6% to 4% and then back again between 2011-2013.

Annnnd that's all she wrote.

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
For someone who criticizes another person's problem solving skills, you sure do seem scant on the details of federal tax increases since Obama came into office. I see a tax increase on $400K earning families, 99% of whom won't feel that hit, this past January. I see SS payroll taxes decreased from 6% to 4% and then back again between 2011-2013.

Annnnd that's all she wrote.

Even Romney agrees.....(again, up to this point as I said).

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2012/09/romney-obama-did-not-raise-taxes/