U.S. Army finds Tillman probably killed by friendly fire ...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

GTaudiophile

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
WTF!

POORLY TRAINED??? GO TAKE A HIKE, YOU CANADIAN WUSS!

As I mentioned in my example, Friendly Fire can occur miles away, sitting in an attack helicopter. It's not as simple as you think.

GreasyBurger

Banned
May 25, 2003
In the past 20 years, Canadian, Dutch and Germans have had NO friendly-fire fatalities. I think the British have 1 or 2.

And how many wars they have been in for the last 20 years?
-The more wars you've been in the, the more likely you are going to have more FF.

Are their military constanlty under the microscope of the world's media?
-The press is going to be all over US military if some bad incident happens, but let's say if China has one of their soldier die under FF and let's see if anybody cares.

How many troops they have on the ground?
-When you have over 100,000 people on the ground. More crap going to happen

Honestly, I think you have never been in the military and stop lying.

Horus

Platinum Member
Dec 27, 2003
Yes, poorly trained. As in, "Oh no, my weapon jammed. It's broken, send it off to the techs!"

And I'm sorry, wusses? We were one of the first countries to join you in Afghanistan.

And horray for ignorance! "The more people you have, the more FF you have?" No, not really. It's a simple thing to LOOK WHERE YOU ARE SHOOTING. If they are wearing your uniform, you do not shoot them! If you are in a jetfighter at twenty-thousand feet, and see tiny muzzleflashes, you do not assume that you're being fired at, and dive-bomb people without permission!

U.S. Troops need to get their goddamn fingers off their triggers, and aim at enemies, not friendlies. I'll never do another peacekeeping mission with U.S. troops. I fear for my life.

I'm at work right now, actually. I'm helping to teach a class on Tactical Communications.

Rudee

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
Originally posted by: Horus

Am I the first to be saying, BWAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

I'm sorry, but the American military is taking more casualities FROM THEIR OWN FREAKIN' WEAPONS than from the enemy!

How, in the name of Zeus's butthole, do you SHOOT SOMEONE FIGHTING BESIDE YOU, WEARING THE GODDAMN SAME UNIFORM!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

RRRRGGGH!!@!@!!!!

Nice opening reply you piece of $h|t!!

GreasyBurger

Banned
May 25, 2003
Poorly trained military? When was the last time in the history that the world premiere superpower has a poorly trained military? This is like saying a student has low IQ because he has straight A's in Harvard.

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
Yes, poorly trained. As in, "Oh no, my weapon jammed. It's broken, send it off to the techs!"

And I'm sorry, wusses? We were one of the first countries to join you in Afghanistan.

You're still an idiot. Why?

You. Were. Not. There. Therefore, you are NOT qualified to comment on what happened or why. So shut the fvck up with your goddamned political agenda.

Fiveohhh

Diamond Member
Jan 18, 2002
Originally posted by: ROTC1983

I'm sorry, but the American military is taking more casualities FROM THEIR OWN FREAKIN' WEAPONS than from the enemy!

How, in the name of Zeus's butthole, do you SHOOT SOMEONE FIGHTING BESIDE YOU, WEARING THE GODDAMN SAME UNIFORM!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

RRRRGGGH!!@!@!!!!

I see that you have been out on the battlefield before :roll:

In the past 20 years, Canadian, Dutch and Germans have had NO friendly-fire fatalities. I think the British have 1 or 2.

That statement is fairly pointless. I have no idea the numbers, but I'm pretty sure the US army is quite a bit bigger and gets in more brawls than the Canadians(thats a bad thing:p). If your not fighting and 1/4 the size, I'd hope you'd have way less casualties. And IIRC Germanys army is capped at 100,000.

Isshinryu

May 28, 2004

If you've truly had experience with American soldiers, you know this is not a true statement.

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001

Bwahahahaha! More like, my weapons jammed, get it unjammed quick. You are an idiot and know nothing about the military. I'm not saying that friendly fire is acceptable. One individual screwed up, and its even possible that it was Tillman being somewhere where he shouldn't have. But I wasn't there, so cant comment. And the only "troops" that Canada really sent to Afghanistan was a few sniper teams.

TitanDiddly

Dec 8, 2003

RRRRGGGH!!@!@!!!!

As you can see, the world hates you.

Rudee

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000

In the past 20 years, Canadian, Dutch and Germans have had NO friendly-fire fatalities.

Pretty hard to have friendly-fire casualties when you're rarely involved in international conflict. Let's be fair here.

dc

Diamond Member
Nov 26, 1999

Who says I'm making fun of Pat Tillman? And why should I be banned?

that "BWAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! at a man's tragic death can EASILY taken as making fun/insulting. think before you type.

iamme

Lifer
Jul 21, 2001

RRRRGGGH!!@!@!!!!

I see that you have been out on the battlefield before :roll:

Actually, I have. 4 years service in a Canadian Artillery regiment. Peacekeeping tour in Bosnia. I've been fired on.

Oh, and on a battlefield, you DO line up side to side. It's called a SECTION ATTACK.

Tillman would not have died if American solders knew something called F-I-R-E D-I-S-I-P-L-I-N-E. It means, IDENTIFY YOUR FREAKIN' TARGET BEFORE ENGAGING. It's a standard american problem. Ever wonder why M-16A2-class assault rifles have no fully automatic fire? Because US Army troops are goddamn trigger happy. Woo, I just emptied a magazine on one target, and missed, because I can't hit anything, because my rifle is jumping all over the place! Now I'm dead, because an Iraqi with a 50 year old carbine or AK-47, that knows how to shoot, fired 2 rounds, semi-auto into my head!

American soldiers are very, very poorly trained. Extremely well equiped, but poorly trained. I've had plenty of experience with US soldiers, including 3 weeks in Fort Bragg. I'm envious of their equipment, dozens of M109s just sitting on the lot, HMMVWs, MLRS, Abrams, Bradleys, just sitting there, not used! I'd kill to have some of that hardware. I've unfortuately seen how they train, too. Weapons-handling is, IMHO, pathetic. One weapons-clearing drill? No wonder their weapons turn to crap so fast.

U.S. has somewhere like 25, including 3 Canadians that were bombed.

Who says I'm making fun of Pat Tillman? And why should I be banned? Because I think that your army is a joke? Everyone's like "Oh, he's a hero, he died for his country". He made a sacrifice, and he did a good thing. But he deserves no more respect than the average joe. A soldier is a soldier, no matter what walk of life you're from.

And if there are people bashing me for saying this, you better have served before, otherwise, do the smart thing, and just keep quiet. I don't find it funny...it's sad...very, very sad that you people think Friendly Fire is a normal thing.

If any, and I mean ANY member in the Canadian Forces committed friendly fire, they would be Court Martialed. Immediately. Which is why so many of us are mad that that F-16 driver isn't being charged for killing 3 of our guys.

sad thing is, if you took the time to explain your background you might have gained a little more respect and credibility. instead you chose to spew tactless garbage through a keyboard and got the deserved reaction.

GreasyBurger

Banned
May 25, 2003
Some people like that doucebag Canuck needs to get a life. I can't find any reason to "muahhhhaaaa" at a dead U.S. serviceman or any serviceman in ANY nation for that matter. Why can't you leave Pat Tillman alone? He's dead. Can't the dead at least rest in peace without moron like yourself poking fun at?

Ameesh

Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
why are we even there in the first place? if we werent there we wouldn't have our soliders, our borther and sisters dying for no reason.

GreasyBurger

Banned
May 25, 2003
Originally posted by: Ameesh
why are we even there in the first place? if we werent there we wouldn't have our soliders, our borther and sisters dying for no reason.

Forget 9/11 too quickly? Why do you think we were in Afghanistan?

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
Sure, the M16 is way more accurate in bursts, so we made our weapons better. Ever seen the average ak47 shooter? Like.. holding an ak47 above their head on full auto. Trust me, the average enemy does not know how to shoot. If they did, we'd have to rework our strategies.

I have served and still do, and friendly fire is not normal or acceptable. But neither is warping information or making fun of deceased.

Your an idiot anyways. A F16 doesn't have a driver. Ever hear of a pilot? bwuahahaha

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
Originally posted by: GreasyBurger
Originally posted by: Ameesh

Forget 9/11 too quickly? Why do you think we were in Afghanistan?

Ameesh, don't confuse Afghanistan with Iraq. While our reasons for being in Iraq are dubious AT BEST, the need to be in Afghanistan is clear.

Rudee

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
Originally posted by: TallBill
A F16 doesn't have a driver. Ever hear of a pilot? bwuahahaha

"Driver" is slang for the pilot flying the plane in a two-seater. Also, used as a term for the pilot in a one-seater like the F-16

MoPHo

Platinum Member
Dec 16, 2003
Ok I'm probably gonna get flamed out the rear for this one but people need to stop making a big deal about Tillman. Granted he did give up however much money to go fight, but think about the other soldiers who died out there. They might not have given up X million, but they gave up so much potential. I'm not saying that Tillman died and it's a good thing, but when famous people die, too big of a deal is made about it. Again, not saying Tillman is a bad guy, but there are dozens (possibly hundreds) of soldiers who died from Friendly Fire out there in Iraq.

GreasyBurger

Banned
May 25, 2003
If Horos ever served in the military he should know that M16A1 was the FIRST generation of the M16/M4 in U.S. military. US military got rid of M16A1 and its automatic capability over 10 years ago. Now we are using 3 round burst and single round burst M16A2, M16A3 and M4A1.

By the way, Canadian Forces is using Diemaco C7 / C8 which is a copy of M16A2.

Honestly, I don't think Horos ever served in the military because he doesn't know crap about military and weaponary. How can you don't know about M16 series when your country is using the same thing?

Rudee

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
Here's an interesting tidbit of info...

In 1943 during WWII Clark Gable joined the 351st Bomb Group in and flew operational missions over Europe in B-17's. At that time, the lifespan of a B-17 crewmember was only a matter of a couple weeks at most. Clark Gable engaged in combat missions as a waist gunner at his own request. The airforce bombgroups got a tremendous morale boost from Clark's actions. I believe Pat Tillman also did a lot for morale when he joined the Special Forces.