U.S. Army finds Tillman probably killed by friendly fire ...

Turkish

Lifer
May 26, 2003
CNN Story

(CNN) -- U.S. Army Cpl. Pat Tillman, the former professional football player killed last month in Afghanistan, was probably killed by gunfire from his own unit during an intense firefight, the U.S. Army said Saturday.

"While there was no one specific finding of fault, the investigation indicated that Cpl. Tillman probably died of friendly fire while his unit was in combat with enemy forces," Lt. Gen. Philip Kensington Jr., of the Army's Special Operations Command ,said at a news conference at Ft. Bragg, North Carolina.

"The results of this investigation in no way diminish the bravery and sacrifice of Cpl. Tillman," Kensington said. "Cpl. Tillman was shot and killed while responding to enemy fire without regard to his personal safety."

Tillman, who walked away from a $3.6 million contract with the Arizona Cardinals two years ago to serve in the military, was posthumously awarded a Silver Star on April 30.

"There is an inherent danger of confusion in any firefight particularly when a unit is ambushed, especially under difficult light and terrain environment," Kensington said.

Tillman, 27, was shot and killed April 22 during a ground convoy assault not far from Khowst, Afghanistan, near the eastern border with Pakistan. Two other coalition soldiers were wounded in the ambush and an Afghan militia force soldier was killed.

The firefight in which Tillman died began about 7:30 p.m. when 10 to 20 ambushers attacked the convoy with mortars and small arms. Tillman's team had already passed the point of attack, but turned back to help, diving into an intensive battle that lasted about 20 minutes.

A statement announcing the Silver Star said that Tillman directed his team to return fire against the fighters, who had attacked from higher ground.

It said that because of Tillman's leadership and his team's efforts, the trail section of the convoy "was able to maneuver through the ambush to positions of safety without a single casualty."

Tillman was a member of A Company, 2nd Battalion, 75th Ranger Regiment based at Fort Lewis, Washington.

His brother, Kevin, trained with him and served in the same unit.

Horus

Platinum Member
Dec 27, 2003

Am I the first to be saying, BWAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

I'm sorry, but the American military is taking more casualities FROM THEIR OWN FREAKIN' WEAPONS than from the enemy!

How, in the name of Zeus's butthole, do you SHOOT SOMEONE FIGHTING BESIDE YOU, WEARING THE GODDAMN SAME UNIFORM!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

RRRRGGGH!!@!@!!!!

Metalloid

Diamond Member
Jan 18, 2002
Originally posted by: Horus

I'm sorry, but the American military is taking more casualities FROM THEIR OWN FREAKIN' WEAPONS than from the enemy!

How, in the name of Zeus's butthole, do you SHOOT SOMEONE FIGHTING BESIDE YOU, WEARING THE GODDAMN SAME UNIFORM!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

RRRRGGGH!!@!@!!!!

Well, believe it or not, when you are in a firefight you don't exactly line up side by side and shoot. It's not like the guy next to him made a 90 degree turn and shot him.

Especially since they doulbed back to help in the firefight. I'm not saying that it was an easy mistake to make, but it does happen.

Mookow

Lifer
Apr 24, 2001

RRRRGGGH!!@!@!!!!

I see it didnt take long for ignorance to rear its head in this thread.

GasX

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001

RRRRGGGH!!@!@!!!!
Go take your two brain cells and piss off. He died serving his country and you a just some loser on the internet.

ROTC1983

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2002

RRRRGGGH!!@!@!!!!

I see that you have been out on the battlefield before :roll:

MaxDSP

Lifer
May 15, 2001
Originally posted by: Mookow

RRRRGGGH!!@!@!!!!

I see it didnt take long for ignorance to rear its head in this thread.

It's not his head he's talking out of...altho it could be mistaken as such

erikistired

Diamond Member
Sep 27, 2000

RRRRGGGH!!@!@!!!!

i only wish i could be the first to say:

Enjoy your week off.

but alas i cannot.

oniq

Banned
Feb 17, 2002

RRRRGGGH!!@!@!!!!

Ban?

GreasyBurger

Banned
May 25, 2003

RRRRGGGH!!@!@!!!!

And you made fun of Pat Tillman because..................?

911paramedic

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2002

RRRRGGGH!!@!@!!!!

This coming from somebody that probably isn't old enough to shave yet. I imagine you shoot friendlies in freaking computer games when they have friendly tags floating over their freaking heads.

You need to grow up and show some respect. (yes I am a vet, and this pisses me off even more because of Memorial Day)

GTaudiophile

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000

RRRRGGGH!!@!@!!!!

WTF! A friend of my dad's accidentally killed some 20 Army soldiers on the ground from an Apache in Gulf War I. He was given the wrong coordinates. There is not much you can see from some 10 miles away, hovering in a helicopter.

Are you like 12 or something? Get away from the computer and go find out what Memorial Day weekend is all about.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000

RRRRGGGH!!@!@!!!!

motion for ban

iamme

Lifer
Jul 21, 2001
Originally posted by: GreasyBurger

RRRRGGGH!!@!@!!!!

And you made fun of Pat Tillman because..................?

....he can hide behind the anonymity of the internet.

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999
Come on guys, can't you keep this in P&N?

dartworth

Lifer
Jul 29, 2001

RRRRGGGH!!@!@!!!!

:thumbsdown:

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
Originally posted by: ElFenix

RRRRGGGH!!@!@!!!!

motion for ban

ditto, cuz theres not much else you can say.

Sepen

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999

RRRRGGGH!!@!@!!!!

Damn, you just can't comprehend, can you? :(:disgust:

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001

RRRRGGGH!!@!@!!!!

Please let me add to the growing and resounding chorus that you are a fvcking idiot.

Horus

Platinum Member
Dec 27, 2003
Originally posted by: ROTC1983

RRRRGGGH!!@!@!!!!

I see that you have been out on the battlefield before :roll:

Actually, I have. 4 years service in a Canadian Artillery regiment. Peacekeeping tour in Bosnia. I've been fired on.

Oh, and on a battlefield, you DO line up side to side. It's called a SECTION ATTACK.

Tillman would not have died if American solders knew something called F-I-R-E D-I-S-I-P-L-I-N-E. It means, IDENTIFY YOUR FREAKIN' TARGET BEFORE ENGAGING. It's a standard american problem. Ever wonder why M-16A2-class assault rifles have no fully automatic fire? Because US Army troops are goddamn trigger happy. Woo, I just emptied a magazine on one target, and missed, because I can't hit anything, because my rifle is jumping all over the place! Now I'm dead, because an Iraqi with a 50 year old carbine or AK-47, that knows how to shoot, fired 2 rounds, semi-auto into my head!

American soldiers are very, very poorly trained. Extremely well equiped, but poorly trained. I've had plenty of experience with US soldiers, including 3 weeks in Fort Bragg. I'm envious of their equipment, dozens of M109s just sitting on the lot, HMMVWs, MLRS, Abrams, Bradleys, just sitting there, not used! I'd kill to have some of that hardware. I've unfortuately seen how they train, too. Weapons-handling is, IMHO, pathetic. One weapons-clearing drill? No wonder their weapons turn to crap so fast.

In the past 20 years, Canadian, Dutch and Germans have had NO friendly-fire fatalities. I think the British have 1 or 2.

U.S. has somewhere like 25, including 3 Canadians that were bombed.

Who says I'm making fun of Pat Tillman? And why should I be banned? Because I think that your army is a joke? Everyone's like "Oh, he's a hero, he died for his country". He made a sacrifice, and he did a good thing. But he deserves no more respect than the average joe. A soldier is a soldier, no matter what walk of life you're from.

And if there are people bashing me for saying this, you better have served before, otherwise, do the smart thing, and just keep quiet. I don't find it funny...it's sad...very, very sad that you people think Friendly Fire is a normal thing.

If any, and I mean ANY member in the Canadian Forces committed friendly fire, they would be Court Martialed. Immediately. Which is why so many of us are mad that that F-16 driver isn't being charged for killing 3 of our guys.