U.S. Apologizes for Friendly Fire in Iraq - Iraqi's say enough is enough.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Pers

Golden Member
Jan 12, 2001
Originally posted by: XZeroII
Of course they want us out. We liberated them, now that our job is done, GOOD BYE!

OMG you are so dumb. i can only hope you don't really believe that.

yeah, now that their wives are being raped...goodbye, eh?

i actually know people in iraq - and if they hated us before - they want to rid us of this planet now.

Do you really think marching into a sovereign nation, and removing their government - w/o having

any say in the matter improved their opinion of Americans?!?!

c'mon - get out of your fantasy world and realize they wouldn't trust us if we fed them day and night.

and it's not because they are brainwashed. NOpe..it's because they know we're aiding the Israelis in killing

arabs a few thousand miles away. They're not stupid. they know americans don't really give a sh!t about them.

hence they want us the fvck out of their country...can you blame them? would you want france to inforce regime change here?

as stupid as you think arabs are - they don't hate freedom....and they know what the fvck is going on in this world.

maybe more than your Fox news brainwashed self.

ogmios

Jul 28, 2003
Originally posted by: tcsenter

All dictatorships and oppressive regimes have their aristocracy who are rewarded for loyalty and support. Why do you think they're so pissed off? They were Iraq's well-to-do aristocracy who profited from murder and oppression, that status is being taken from them.

Sadam is gone forever already whether he is still alive or not. I don't think that if there is any resistance (organized or spontaneous) in Iraq, it is out of loyalty to their fallen dictator or it is just because of lost social/economic status of some portion of the population. In most cases I witnessed or read about, it is those very people with most previleges in previous regime that are quickest in recognizing new masters. Those prestigious people have education, resourses, management skills, and they are well connected to one another. There is no reason they would not continue to thrive under new dominant alpha, in this case, the US, once they figure out the way to adapt, and generally they do. I admit my argument is based upon gross generalization because I don't have specific knowledge about current Iraq situation, but if Sadam is able to garner such loyalty after he was dethroned, he was truely a great dictator.

To make a potentially long story short, I don't agree with you. I don't think Iraq's former aristocracy are resisting because their status is taken away. If that is their main concern, there is no reason to. The US can't directly rule Iraq forever. Americans need some Iraqi to govern themselves, and guess who would be recruited for that? Poor farmers, shepherds, or blue color workers who immensely suffered under Sadam's brutality? No, those same former ruling class people will do the job again and retain the status, to the great dismay of general public.

I think the resistance stems more from nationalism or religious principle.

Tab

Lifer
Sep 15, 2002
Originally posted by: phillyTIM
Those links are clearly grouped away from the other reliable news sources; so they provided a well-rounded balance of hard-news and humor? Everyone needs a dash of humor to get through this mess.

Funny attempt at your right-wing spin, yet again, but it falls as limp as your un-Viagarated dicks.

If you really READ the blog, it appears to be one of the most common-sens op-ed logs available anywhere regarding the situation right there in iraq. It's surprising no national/international news sources have picked that up.

Did you eve notice Al-Jazeera was on the website? They are so more unbiased than CNN
rolleye.gif

phillyTIM

Golden Member
Jan 12, 2001
That still doesn't discount it.

I run a website, with some links from all types of different sites; yet having them there doesn't mean that my website material draws from them.

jeezus, nit picky you guys are

tcsenter

Lifer
Sep 7, 2001
To make a potentially long story short, I don't agree with you. I don't think Iraq's former aristocracy are resisting because their status is taken away. If that is their main concern, there is no reason to.
An aristocracy which owes its existance to a dictator is never more inclined to accept a change of power that would disfavor them than the disenfranchised groups who have no power at all and therefore have no choice but to acquiesce to any faction that is in power.

We're not talking about doctors and scholars and engineers in a moderate political climate who could be said to have achieved their aristocratic status by some degree of merit absent any relationship to the dictatorial regime. These are Hussein's tribal brothren - Sunnis - in a region that forms the most ardent support base for Hussein and the Baathist Party. They do not enjoy their status because of what they do, but who they are.

This aristocracy literally enjoyed their status at the expense of the oppression of other disenfranchised Iraqis. The majority of Iraq is not Sunni - its Shiite.

Now what do you suppose would happen if the oppressive regime you profited from and supported is overthrown, and the new government not only threatens to be disproportionately represented by THE VICTIMS of the oppression from which you profited, but to exclude all ardent supporters (like yourself) of the old regime from a seat at the new government?

What would happen is that you would fear for your life if such a government became a reality, because a lot of people are going to want to talk to you about why their families had to disappear in the middle of the night just to keep you in a BMW.

That post-WWII thing worked out really well for Hitler's stongest support base, don't you think?
I think the resistance stems more from nationalism or religious principle.
In other regions of Iraq, perhaps, but not in that region.

As long as you don't let any facts stand in your way, you're free to 'think' whatever you wish.

Crimson

Banned
Oct 11, 1999
Maybe the Iraqi's should stop their own people from KILLING Americans and this type of thing wouldn't happen.. STOP SHOOTING AT US YOU STUPID A-HOLES! It tends to get us a little uptight..