U.S. ambassador to Libya killed in Benghazi attack

Page 12 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Sadly, she is wrong. Islam has allowed itself to be taken over by thugs and killers for too long, to the point that they do actually represent Islam.

It's looking more and more like this was a terrorist cell operation that took advantage of the civil unrest triggered by that movie. By leaping to conclusions we are playing right into the hands of those who want continuous hostility, whether they are that so-called filmmaker or some AQ splinter group.

Theb

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2006
78bbdaf5fc03c1db7e15d7aa270e7c63_600x400.jpeg

"In opinion polling in Eastern Libya, the United States has a 60% favorability rating, while the Salafis or hard line Muslims stand at only 28% favorable."

http://www.juancole.com/

:thumbsup: Excellent Article, thanks.

In other words, this is a non-film and a non-story, a fraud, promoted by the worst people in each culture.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Terrorists keep killing people that speak out against them untill there is no one left willing to speak against anything. The problem is this works if they have no opposition.

When good men do nothing Evil Thrives.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Terrorists keep killing people that speak out against them untill there is no one left willing to speak against anything. The problem is this works if they have no opposition.

When good men do nothing Evil Thrives.

When good men do stupid, stupid is the result. Attacking a population will work as well the Iraq War brought stability and peace through the region.

The answer is to undercut their one hold they have on the world and that is oil. Eliminate the need for that on a large scale and their foundation fails. That means that they will have to deal with others on a more even footing and that in turn means policing their own ranks. They have a motivation to cease these acts, we have a better more self sufficient economy.

chucky2

Lifer
Dec 9, 1999
When good men do stupid, stupid is the result. Attacking a population will work as well the Iraq War brought stability and peace through the region.

The answer is to undercut their one hold they have on the world and that is oil. Eliminate the need for that on a large scale and their foundation fails. That means that they will have to deal with others on a more even footing and that in turn means policing their own ranks. They have a motivation to cease these acts, we have a better more self sufficient economy.

Except they will never be undercut, not to any meaningful (to them) degree. Globalization has made the entire world kick off on a petro usage binge that will not stop until we get stable and sufficient electricity to the RoTW, and then get them converted to using power units that rely on that rather than petro.

Given that we don't even have that remotely close to implemented, let along accomplished, means decades more funding for these countries.

Cutting their funding will accomplish nothing. Look at Iraq (pre-invasion), Iran, and N. Korea as examples.

Chuck

Jun 26, 2007
All of this because an Egyptian coptic christian made a movie...

If it's not the Jews fault it's the US/UK/NATO's fault because that is what Islam teaches.

Emos

Golden Member
Oct 27, 2000
When good men do stupid, stupid is the result. Attacking a population will work as well the Iraq War brought stability and peace through the region

Stupid is as stupid does! ;)
Seriously though, sometimes the desire to do SOMETHING leads to a worse result then doing NOTHING. Instead of "OMG we have to do something" we need to access if the something will actually be effective.

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000
Except they will never be undercut, not to any meaningful (to them) degree. Globalization has made the entire world kick off on a petro usage binge that will not stop until we get stable and sufficient electricity to the RoTW, and then get them converted to using power units that rely on that rather than petro.

Given that we don't even have that remotely close to implemented, let along accomplished, means decades more funding for these countries.

Cutting their funding will accomplish nothing. Look at Iraq (pre-invasion), Iran, and N. Korea as examples.

Chuck

If one pretends there are no alternatives then you are correct, there are none.

How long did it take for the Manhattan Project to create a weapon? What was done to get there?

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000
Stupid is as stupid does! ;)
Seriously though, sometimes the desire to do SOMETHING leads to a worse result then doing NOTHING. Instead of "OMG we have to do something" we need to access if the something will actually be effective.

I think some ought to watch Dr. Strangelove again :D

There is need for a distinction between "something" and "anything". Those terms are often conflated. An analysis of a situation from a broad perspective, then a determination of might be effective while being mindful of unintended consequences, formulating rational means to implement solutions while all the time questioning the initial premises is doing "something". A swift kick in the nuts qualifies as the second in my mind. It's initially more rewarding perhaps, but seldom does much else than to worsen a situation.

chucky2

Lifer
Dec 9, 1999
If one pretends there are no alternatives then you are correct, there are none.

How long did it take for the Manhattan Project to create a weapon? What was done to get there?

I didn't say there are no alternatives. I just said that The Evil West cutting out petro dealings with these countries is not going to do what you're looking to do. That's all...

Chuck

Jun 26, 2007
Ahh yes, "die Endlösung der Judenfrage"

I'm sure you think that the holocaust consisted of willful conversions of Jews but it really didn't. Using the holocaust as a bat in this discussion makes you look about as retarded as Imadinnerjacket.

Note that he said absolutely nothing about using force, just that this world would be better off without religion and i definitely agree with him on that.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
It's looking more and more like this was a terrorist cell operation that took advantage of the civil unrest triggered by that movie. By leaping to conclusions we are playing right into the hands of those who want continuous hostility, whether they are that so-called filmmaker or some AQ splinter group.

I agree, though your statement does nothing to address the problem in that Islam has allowed itself to be taken over by those very same terrorists for so long that the terrorists do, in fact, represent Islam.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
Note that he said absolutely nothing about using force, just that this world would be better off without religion and i definitely agree with him on that.

Religion is a disease on humanity, we won't be free until the last church, mosque, temple, ... is torn down brick by brick, and no believers remain.

...torn down brick by brick until no believers remain...

Sounds like force to me..but I am not afflicted by the "religion is bad for the planet" disease known to addle the brain which is why I can see it and you cannot.

Nov 30, 2006
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/09/13/us-protests-arrests-idUSBRE88C15I20120913

Libya arrests 4 over deadly Benghazi attack: official

(Reuters) - Libyan authorities have made four arrests in the investigation into the attack on the U.S. consulate in Benghazi in which the U.S. ambassador and three embassy staff were killed, the deputy interior minister said on Thursday.

"Four men are in custody and we are interrogating them because they are suspected of helping instigate the events at the U.S. consulate," Wanis Sharif told Reuters.

He gave no more details.

U.S. ambassador to Libya Christopher Stevens and three other Americans died after the gunmen attacked the U.S. consulate and a safe house refuge in the eastern city of Benghazi on Tuesday night. The attackers were part of a mob blaming America for a film they said insulted the Prophet Mohammad.

Demonstrators attacked the U.S. embassies in Yemen and Egypt on Thursday in protests against the film, and American warships were moved closer to Libya.

President Barack Obama has vowed to bring to justice those responsible for the Benghazi attack, which U.S. officials said may have been planned in advance. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton said Washington had nothing to do with the video, which she called "disgusting and reprehensible".

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000
I'm sure you think that the holocaust consisted of willful conversions of Jews but it really didn't. Using the holocaust as a bat in this discussion makes you look about as retarded as Imadinnerjacket.

That's your opinion. Mine is that the effective extermination of all religious including the Jews is not a solution I'm ready to adopt. You don't know what I know about the Holocaust BTW. I suggest that you consider that the person I quoted effectively endorsed the Nazi moral imperative, but expanded to include all of religion and followers, regardless of who they are. Perhaps you endorse "torn down brick by brick", but that's not what I would see. Maybe he'll tell us the limits to which he'd go to see his heart's desire.

chucky2

Lifer
Dec 9, 1999
Mmmmmm...find 4 of their least favorite people, "question them" until they admit doing it, then "try" them. I like where this is going...

peonyu

Platinum Member
Mar 12, 2003
All of this because an Egyptian coptic christian made a movie...

If it's not the Jews fault it's the US/UK/NATO's fault because that is what Islam teaches.

Can you blame him for being spiteful towards Islam ? Muslims kill coptic Christians in mass numbers every year in Egypt, a Muslim killed 30+ people at a Coptic Church last year and this year a entire town hacked apart a Church while chanting Allah Akbar. It sucks to be a second class citizen and killed for not being part of the majority...

I doubt you will find many pro-Nazi Jews around let alone a pro-Islamic Coptic Christian.

Atleast in the US he has freedom of speech and can voice his feelings towards his oppressors, In Egypt he would be killed for insulting the pedo-Prophet [Muhammed].

Last edited:

sunzt

Diamond Member
Nov 27, 2003
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/09/13/us-protests-arrests-idUSBRE88C15I20120913

Libya arrests 4 over deadly Benghazi attack: official

(Reuters) - Libyan authorities have made four arrests in the investigation into the attack on the U.S. consulate in Benghazi in which the U.S. ambassador and three embassy staff were killed, the deputy interior minister said on Thursday.

"Four men are in custody and we are interrogating them because they are suspected of helping instigate the events at the U.S. consulate," Wanis Sharif told Reuters.

He gave no more details.

U.S. ambassador to Libya Christopher Stevens and three other Americans died after the gunmen attacked the U.S. consulate and a safe house refuge in the eastern city of Benghazi on Tuesday night. The attackers were part of a mob blaming America for a film they said insulted the Prophet Mohammad.

Demonstrators attacked the U.S. embassies in Yemen and Egypt on Thursday in protests against the film, and American warships were moved closer to Libya.

President Barack Obama has vowed to bring to justice those responsible for the Benghazi attack, which U.S. officials said may have been planned in advance. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton said Washington had nothing to do with the video, which she called "disgusting and reprehensible".

It's a start. I truly hope they get at least all of the major instigators involved and administer justice. I hope these guys weren't the sacrificial lambs.

PJABBER

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001
We are getting the ID of one of the "other Americans" that were murdered in Benghazi.

American Killed in Libya Was on Intel Mission to Track Weapons

One of the Americans killed alongside Ambassador Christopher Stevens in an attack on a U.S. diplomatic mission in Libya Tuesday told ABC News before his death that he was working with the State Department on an intelligence mission to round up dangerous weapons in the war-torn nation.

In an interview with ABC News last month, Glen Doherty, a 42-year-old former Navy SEAL who worked as a contractor with the State Department, said he personally went into the field to track down so-called MANPADS, shoulder-fired surface-to-air missiles, and destroy them. After the fall of dictator Moammar Gadhafi, the State Department launched a mission to round up thousands of MANPADS that may have been looted from military installations across the country. U.S. officials previously told ABC News they were concerned the MANPADS could fall into the hands of terrorists, creating a threat to commercial airliners.

Doherty said that he traveled throughout Libya chasing reports of the weapons and once they were found, his team would destroy them on the spot by bashing them with hammers or repeatedly running them over with their vehicles. When ABC News spoke to Doherty in late August, he was enjoying a short time off in California before heading back to Libya just days ago.

The State Department declined to comment on Doherty's involvement in the MANPADS program, but pointed to a previous statement from State Assistant Secretary for Political-Military Affairs Andrew Shapiro in which he said the department was looking at "every possible tool to mitigate the threat."

According to military records provided to ABC News, Doherty joined the Navy in 1996 and was a combat medic and a decorated member of the elite SEAL teams by the time he left active duty in 2004. He's described in glowing terms as a top-tier SEAL and better friend in the book "The Red Circle," written by Doherty's longtime friend and SEAL sniper school partner, Brandon Webb.

"Glen was a superb and respected operator, a true quiet professional," Webb told ABC News today. "Don't feel sorry for him, he wouldn't have it. He died serving with men he respected, protecting the freedoms we enjoy as Americans and doing something he loved. He was my best friend and one of the finest human beings I've ever known."

Doherty's mother, Barbara, told ABC News' Boston affiliate WCVB she had been notified of her son's death late Wednesday.

"He was the most wonderful person," she said. "We are all in pain and suffering."

Ambassador Stevens and State Department information management officer Sean Smith were killed in the first wave of attacks in Benghazi when the building they were in was set on fire around 10 p.m. local time Tuesday, a senior administration official told reporters. Doherty was apparently one of two other Americans who were killed in a firefight nearly two hours later, while the facility was still under attack. The fourth victim has not been identified.

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
Haven't been here in awhile, left due to some non-sense. Decided to come back due to these recent attacks to say lol. Seriously these attacks were organized and orchestrated by AQ and/or affiliates, our ally in the nation we took out because like idiots we jumped into a situation without understanding it at all. So we backed those we have been fighting to take down a guy who changed his ways and had been supporting our efforts and our allies in Europe. Re-fucking-tarded.

Also heard in an interview with Michael Lewis last night on KPCC(LA public news station that runs NPR stuff) that the decision to go into Libya was completely Obama's and Biden + other top officials were very much against it. Oh lulz what a mishap, glad there's o so much outrage oh wait lolololol boy do I feel vindicated.

This has very little to do with Islamic spirituality and religion and a whole lot more to do with exploitation and abuses of peoples.