typing from phone. huge pc issue. wont turn on

4Flat4Life

Dec 10, 2013
Sorry to be brief. And typos on a cell... I was playing black flag, pc started beeping... No idea of codes. Freaked out ctrl alt delete turn off black flag shit down. Restart go to bios menu, nothing out of ordinary, take of panel and decide if must be pc over heating, so I rework the water cooler, just moving fans... Starts beeping again... Ignore. Shuts off... Now when I press the power button the fans get one kick of power spin a little. Leds turn on for a split. Then turns off and power button does nothing... No idea what the beep code was I didnt know it was patterned...

P9x79 mobo
I7 3820k
700w psu
Thermal take water cooler push pull
Gtx 760 triple fan version.
8gb corsair vengeance

Someone please help just spent almost a grand on new parts :'(((

4Flat4Life

Dec 10, 2013
At a school computer so I can try to explain a little better...

I read the beeping codes and I can't remember what the pattern was, going to try and plug in a different power supply and see if it will start, if the other power supply doesn't start it up I am going to just return all the Intel stuff and go back to my AMD set up. This amount of headache for switching to Intel is absolutely insane. This sucks.

Intexity

Jan 10, 2009
ok.... long time away from here but let me take a stab at it.

FOR THE MOST PART codes are a good way to start but I prefer MYSELF to go to the basics in troubleshooting. Start by disconnecting ANYTHING that isnt vital (like your water cooling doohickey), fans, optical drives, etc. ( Then see if you can start the computer and what happens when you try). It could be your PSU, your RAM, your HDD, your MOBO etc.
Nothing is going to help you more that you plugging that MOBO number into the google machine and see what the post codes are for your motherboard. You may only need a bios update for all I know. But your post is vague enough it is difficult to start troubleshooting on speculation.
Good luck and hope you figure it out. Next time please see the rules on posting for tech help.. (i am assuming they are still there its only been a few years...) You will see what others recommend to get the best results for your needs. Panic is NOT your friend right now because it can and may cost you....

4Flat4Life

Dec 10, 2013
ok.... long time away from here but let me take a stab at it.

FOR THE MOST PART codes are a good way to start but I prefer MYSELF to go to the basics in troubleshooting. Start by disconnecting ANYTHING that isnt vital (like your water cooling doohickey), fans, optical drives, etc. ( Then see if you can start the computer and what happens when you try). It could be your PSU, your RAM, your HDD, your MOBO etc.
Nothing is going to help you more that you plugging that MOBO number into the google machine and see what the post codes are for your motherboard. You may only need a bios update for all I know. But your post is vague enough it is difficult to start troubleshooting on speculation.
Good luck and hope you figure it out. Next time please see the rules on posting for tech help.. (i am assuming they are still there its only been a few years...) You will see what others recommend to get the best results for your needs. Panic is NOT your friend right now because it can and may cost you....

Yeah I am trying to calm down but it's sooo much money and it's hard not to panic :(

I am going to be doing a lot of troubleshooting today when I get back, I found a site that looks like it will be helpful... Going to start by switching out the power supply but keep everything plugged in... If that doesn't work then I will try to start it with nothing but the motherboard... Then CPU (And watercooler), Then GPU, then hard drive with the OS on it... Something has got to give by then o_O

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Yea, try to stay calm and break it down to minimum config. Write down the error codes and take a look in the manual.

4Flat4Life

Dec 10, 2013
Ok so update... (on phone again) everything worked with just MoBo and CPU... Turned off, Ram in turned back on. Then GPU and it flicker starts as I'm calling it now... So how do I check of it's the power supply or gpu?

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Have a spare PSU or GPU available?

Check cabling to make sure power to GPU is secure.

Steltek

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2001
Since you are running a Sandy Bridge processor, your system has integrated graphics. If you can get in to the BIOS, you might want to switch over to integrated graphics. This would allow you to then shut down and pull the GPU so you can do some serious diagnostic testing on the other components.

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
Since you are running a Sandy Bridge processor, your system has integrated graphics. If you can get in to the BIOS, you might want to switch over to integrated graphics. This would allow you to then shut down and pull the GPU so you can do some serious diagnostic testing on the other components.

Unfortunately, even though his CPU supports this, the Asus P9X79 does not.

4Flat4Life

Dec 10, 2013
Hey guys! Messaging you from my home PC!
Turns out the GPU is F@#$ED, Using my old Radeon HD 7870...

Newegg is paying for one day shipping for my old GPU and new one under warranty so it's free for me :D All is well <3

Going to be making a for sale post soon for my old components. and start building my custom show computer. As a fun hobby and to put everything I have learned together for something new. (Going with Intel for the new super computer.)

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
Glad you nailed the problem. A failed new video card is definitely an odd occurrence.

Last edited:

4Flat4Life

Dec 10, 2013
Glad you nailed the problem. I failed new video card is definitely an odd occurrence.

It is getting worse.....

Started playing league of legends, and it started beeping again... The beeps are so dang hard to hear pattern wise but I think it was for GPU again!!

WTF is wrong with my computer!?!? o_Oo_O

Why would it be doing this again!? This AMD GPU has run for over a year with EVERYTHING i could throw at it...

There's a professional computer store in my town now, going to take it there when I get home :/

I am military, going home for Xmas.

stinger608

Mar 6, 2009
RMA that OCZ power supply man! I think that was the issue from the start dude. It may be frying your video cards! They are POS power supplies IMO.
About a year ago I built 4 systems with OCZ power supplies and had to RMA 3 of them! Needless to say I sent the fourth one back as well.

Get something like Corsair or Seasonic and stay away from OCZ power supplies.

My two cents worth anyway. I still believe it is the power supply causing the problems.

4Flat4Life

Dec 10, 2013
RMA that OCZ power supply man! I think that was the issue from the start dude. It may be frying your video cards! They are POS power supplies IMO.
About a year ago I built 4 systems with OCZ power supplies and had to RMA 3 of them! Needless to say I sent the fourth one back as well.

My two cents worth anyway. I still believe it is the power supply causing the problems.

Well #$@% :eek:

Can I get a recommendation for the like, top of the line, completely modular PSU?

4Flat4Life

Dec 10, 2013
Took it to a store in town, he thinks I just had bad luck with my gpu, going to try and Olay a few intense games and see if it fries it again.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001

This.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Took it to a store in town, he thinks I just had bad luck with my gpu, going to try and Olay a few intense games and see if it fries it again.

It's good you're having it tested, but you kinda already confirmed that the issue also happened with different GPU's.

If you put a different GPU in (like you did, right?) and the issue still happens, then you're looking at a PSU issue (most likely), or a motherboard issue.

4Flat4Life

Dec 10, 2013
RMA the entire order. Done with all the bull. Selling the Mobo, i7 Cpu and watercooler pretty cheap. It was the pay that was messed up, the Cpu, mobo, and watercooler are 100% perfect. I had them all tested in other computers to be sure. You can find my for sale post in Hot Deals.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
just go bump a few FS threads, I think it was 25 posts before you could list? Make sure you enable the email address too...

PM me with prices on CPU and mobo, you have the air cooler still?

4Flat4Life

Dec 10, 2013
just go bump a few FS threads, I think it was 25 posts before you could list? Make sure you enable the email address too...

PM me with prices on CPU and mobo, you have the air cooler still?

Thread created, selling really cheap go check it out plz