Typically, how hard is it for a guy to get a girlfriend?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

NikPreviousAcct

No Lifer
Aug 15, 2000

<< Those of us who are shy and humble don't do too well in the &quot;walk up and charm them&quot; department, unfortunately. Looks and brawn I have, just not balls. >>

That's exactly the opposite for me. Eyecandy says that I have nice eyes, and I certain have the brass and the attitude to walk up to women and start a converstation, but my looks generally don't get me any happy looks.

Nik

shiner

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000

<< Don't listen to him. You want to turn a girl on, there's nothing like starting a conversation about the cpu utlilization of hardware RAID in a 4 disk array. I mean, what kind of girl can resist that?!?! >>

Shows what you know....most girls these days aren't impressed unless you are running a multi server clustered enviroment. ;)

NikPreviousAcct

No Lifer
Aug 15, 2000

<<

<< Don't listen to him. You want to turn a girl on, there's nothing like starting a conversation about the cpu utlilization of hardware RAID in a 4 disk array. I mean, what kind of girl can resist that?!?! >>

Shows what you know....most girls these days aren't impressed unless you are running a multi server clustered enviroment. ;)
>>

LMAO

Still... if you're a fumbling idiot, only a select few will still take you -and that's if you have money. :Q

Nik

NikPreviousAcct

No Lifer
Aug 15, 2000
yeah... if you're going for that group that I was talking about earlier... you know, the one who only cares about getting paid

Nik

bonkers325

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000

<< Guys don't get girlfriends. Girls get boyfriends. There's an important difference. Women have all the power in dating. >>

any truth in that :Q

RSI

Diamond Member
May 22, 2000
Well, I'm no fumbling idiot, but I'm not &quot;the conversationalist&quot; either. Of course I am not going to talk about some computer jargon to some girl who knows nothing about computers. If she was a total geek, maybe! It's like talking about animals to someone who's obsessed with nothing but .. I dunno, cars or something.

Well, now (we'll call her) Jess wants to be friends again, after ~1 month of near ignoring. She claims to be sorry about all of it, and that she was starting to miss me, and she felt bad about what she did (I don't know what that is though?). Whatever, I think. I had already assumed the worse and considered her lost, I had had enough with being depressed and stuff over someone who wasn't more than a friend and couldn't be. So I decided to clear my mind of it so I could be at peace. It worked surprisingly well and I felt much better. But a few times throughout the period of &quot;ignoring&quot; phase, I talked to her or had some kind of contact with her briefly, which just resurfaced old feelings.

But finally she's &quot;came back&quot;. I had told her that she could just come back and be friends whenever she wanted, and that I understood (I still am unsure of whether that was true or not) about the whole situation. Apparently her BF just doesn't want to hear about me (because apparently she was talking about me a lot). So that's ifne ..

now she wants to go to a movie or something with friends (me included). I just find it too weird .. I don't know why, if it's just me or whatever.. But I really really liked her, and I she hurt me quite a bit, and now it seems like she's just flicking a switch back on. But I did say she could come back to me whenever she wanted ... but like, right away, lets go to a movie? goddammit..

well I dunno.

RSI

Diamond Member
May 22, 2000
Another thing.

Someone else I talk to (online only so far .. but lives close) .. we had gotten along extremely well and had many coincidences, etc.. both seemed to think meeting would be really cool/fun/whatever. BUT, it could just be me, but after sending my pictures, her attitude has completely changed. Now for a &quot;new randomer&quot; this'd be completely fine and I wuldn't care, but I've already talked and gotten to know this person. And I would have assumed that the person would have developed some sort of similar thing, SIMILAR at least!

eyecandy

Jun 5, 2001
Urinal Mint
Insecure women often are intimidated by smart guys and sometimes women in general are intimidated by males who are way smarter then they are. But for a lot of women, smart guys are a big turn on. I don't think I could date any one who I thought was not on my level ; I like to have intelligent conversations. But maybe that's just me.

eyecandy

Jun 5, 2001
Cobalt, you don't know what you're talking about! You didn't even remember my name, let alone go up and talk to me! Besides, baby, you're gorgeous! If I didn't know you and you came up and talked to me, then that would make my day!

And everyone else, girls are not as intimidating as you think! And not all girls are impressed by money. Maybe you need to cut a few stereotypes out of your head before you can date someone, because most girls don't like being put in a box!

NikPreviousAcct

No Lifer
Aug 15, 2000
heh... I always thought I was too much of a goof to have a deep discussion with someone, but looks like someone showed me that I can.

<edit>

<< You didn't even remember my name >>

Yeah... but I remembered later!

</edit>

Nik