Tychoon wants to send married couple on Mars suicide er.. flyby mission. UPDATE

FaaR

Golden Member
Dec 28, 2007
I'm not sure a married couple would be the best candidates for such a journey.

...Come to think of it, I'm pretty damn certain a married couple is NOT the best candidates.

This whole endeavour smacks of superstitious (possibly born-again) christian biblical adam-and-eve-noah's-ark nonsense, dreamt up by a person not just with more money than brains, but actually outright shit for brains.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000

...Come to think of it, I'm pretty damn certain a married couple is NOT the best candidates.

This whole endeavour smacks of superstitious (possibly born-again) christian biblical adam-and-eve-noah's-ark nonsense, dreamt up by a person not just with more money than brains, but actually outright shit for brains.

I'm not sure why a married couple was picked, but considering anyone going is pretty much dead I'm not sure it matters.

Scotteq

Diamond Member
Apr 10, 2008
I'm waiting for the Doritos commercial where she chucks the last bag out the door and slams it shut behind him...

marvdmartian

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2002
Funny, isn't it, how typhoon has an H in it, but tycoon doesn't? ;)

Anyways, they'll never get a married couple to volunteer. What man in his right mind wants to spend a year and a half hearing, "I think we're lost! Why won't you stop and ask for directions??" every day?? :rolleyes:

Nintendesert

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2010

You're pretty ignorant. I recommend you go read up on why there is much talk about picking a married couple over single people. It has nothing to do with religion you clown.

sourn

Dec 26, 2012
Funny, isn't it, how typhoon has an H in it, but tycoon doesn't? ;)

Anyways, they'll never get a married couple to volunteer. What man in his right mind wants to spend a year and a half hearing, "I think we're lost! Why won't you stop and ask for directions??" every day?? :rolleyes:

While that would normally be true..

SEX IN SPACE! enough said.

FaaR

Golden Member
Dec 28, 2007
It has nothing to do with religion you clown.
...Says the person with nintendo in his handle and raccoon mario as his avatar. Yeah, geeks throwing insults are always so credible. ...Not to mention hilarious.

Who pissed in your cornflakes this morning anyway for you to come in swinging this way? Is it how you always talk to strangers? If so, do they keep you in a padded room at all times or do they let you out sometimes to use a computer?

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
What's the point of a flyby? Maybe they just wanted time to have a baby in space.

Brovane

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2001
The question I have is what will be used for the Launch vehicle? The only vehicle that could maybe do this currently in the works is the Falcon Heavy. Usually the basic rule of thumb is you take the launch capability to LEO and times by 25% to determine escape velocity which gives about 13,250 kg for total vehicle mass if launched using a Falcon Heavy. Dry Mass of the Dragon is 4,200kg which gives 9,050kg left over for payload etc. However I suspect the Dragon re-entry shielding would have to be up-rated for increased re-entry speeds that a trip like this would involve.

This kind of reminds me of NASA's plan in the 1960's to use a Saturn V for a manned Venus Flyby. Take a Standard Apollo Command Module and replace the Fuel Cells with batteries and solar panels. The Space in the rocket where the Lunar Module would sit would be replaced with a Mission Module. Increase the Command Module shielding to support re-entry velocities of 45000 fps, normally apollo re-entry was 36,000 fps. You have all the specs of a vehicle supporting a Manned Venus Flyby.

It will be interesting. The last humans to travel BEO (Beyond Low Earth Orbit) was Apollo 17 crew in December 1972.

Nintendesert

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2010
...Says the person with nintendo in his handle and raccoon mario as his avatar. Yeah, geeks throwing insults are always so credible. ...Not to mention hilarious.

Who pissed in your cornflakes this morning anyway for you to come in swinging this way? Is it how you always talk to strangers? If so, do they keep you in a padded room at all times or do they let you out sometimes to use a computer?

Still ignorant and still a clown. Keep up the hard work. :thumbsup:

FaaR

Golden Member
Dec 28, 2007
Did I say geek? Clearly I meant nerd.

Btw, try some decent mouthwash before opening your gob next time. Ugh!

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
The team of space veterans behind the project hasn't quite figured out the technical details of the rocket they will use or the capsule the husband-and-wife astronauts will live in during the 16-month voyage.

ok then, no plan? lol not gonna happen

DucatiMonster696

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2009
Any mission to Mars will be a one way trip.

Did you just fall down and suffer a head injury? To bad the nearest hospital is 18 months away via spaceship.

Last edited:

BudAshes

Lifer
Jul 20, 2003
Did I say geek? Clearly I meant nerd.

Btw, try some decent mouthwash before opening your gob next time. Ugh!

He doesn't have to open his mouth to type.

images

Doppel

Lifer
Feb 5, 2011
I know it's a great technical feat and all that but seriously I am major disappoint that they are not going to deal with landing on mars. Entry and exit wildly increase difficulty, but damn, just flying around doesn't seem so awesome :( I guess it's all they can do in five years.

Brovane

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2001
I know it's a great technical feat and all that but seriously I am major disappoint that they are not going to deal with landing on mars. Entry and exit wildly increase difficulty, but damn, just flying around doesn't seem so awesome :( I guess it's all they can do in five years.

Well considering Humans haven't left low Earth Orbit in over 40 years. I would consider just doing a simple repeat of the Apollo 8 mission would be a step forward. That is right, for human space exploration we have spent the last 40+ years jerking off in Low Earth Orbit studying how frogs mate in zero G. :rolleyes:

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
Well considering Humans haven't left low Earth Orbit in over 40 years. I would consider just doing a simple repeat of the Apollo 8 mission would be a step forward. That is right, for human space exploration we have spent the last 40+ years jerking off in Low Earth Orbit studying how frogs mate in zero G. :rolleyes:

Congress wouldn't even legally let us, (NASA), plan to leave LEO until about six years ago. Needless to say the budgets haven't been there.

Brovane

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2001
Congress wouldn't even legally let us, (NASA), plan to leave LEO until about six years ago. Needless to say the budgets haven't been there.

Yup things have been bad every since they decided to shutdown the Saturn V production line. We can thank Richard Nixon for that one. So now if we want to leave LEO we have to re-do all that development work from the 1960's. At least it looks like the Falcon Heavy will have some type of reasonable payload for a TLI or something beyond LEO.

DominionSeraph

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2009
You're pretty ignorant. I recommend you go read up on why there is much talk about picking a married couple over single people. It has nothing to do with religion you clown.

Doesn't wash.

"As for why a man and a woman will be selected, "this is very symbolic and we really need it to represent humanity," MacCallum said."

Riight, yet: "We called it the Lewis and Clark trip to Mars."
Lewis and Clark were't a married man and woman. They're the classical human explorers: men. If you want it to represent humanity, that's what you send. Only an idiot anchoring on an anti-gay marriage sentiment would come up with a married couple. In a situation like a trip to Mars, you don't need "emotional support," you need someone whose skills you can rely on and who has multiple modes of interpersonal contact they can work through. A married couple is going to have more baggage and heightened emotions. The only thing they have going for them is a reason to reconcile due to history, but that's a very small thing given American self-centeredness: The divorce rate is over 50% when you don't have to spend every waking moment inches away from the other person.

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000
Any mission to Mars will be a one way trip.

Did you just fall down and suffer a head injury? To bad the nearest hospital is 18 months away via spaceship.

What's being missed is that two people are going to be exposed to high levels of radiation for 500+ days. The ISS has some protection due to its proximity to Earth, but nada for this trip. There may be some options for charged particles, but it's a real unsolved and most likely deadly problem.

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000
I hereby patent/copyright/whatever this idea. Identify a small asteroid which will approach Earth and spend money on developing robotics which will hollow out a cavity of sufficient size for a team and necessary supplies. Alter the orbit so it will slingshot towards Mars once a crew boards. You have shielding provided by your "capsule" and much of the momentum needed for travel is already there. Use solar/nuke power to run a mag mass driver and you can change the orbit and excavate at the same time. The benefits are substantial improvements in autonomous robotics and mining, two things which would pay for this trip.