Twofer thread- Bill Barr tapped for AG and Trump above normal crazy level as Mueller update due today

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I'm so tired of this President.

I don't even think he's the worst president in modern history (unless he starts a war, then starts another totally unnecessary war, then forgets about the first war that he started, then the wars are run so badly that they're basically an unfixable perpetual quagmire).

I'm even burning out on disliking him. I'm just tired of him.
Yeah well I'm tired of Americans letting GOP criminals flat out run amok while any liberal who farts during the national anthem is branded as a terrorist.

Reactions: brycejones

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Yeah well I'm tired of Americans letting GOP criminals flat out run amok while any liberal who farts during the national anthem is branded as a terrorist.

Yeah somehow Nixon, Reagan, Dubya, Cheney, Wolfowitz never saw much-deserved prison time for their egregious crimes against this country and against humanity, yet Hillary is the greatest criminal that ever became a politician.

This is how republicans think. They have been so thoroughly gaslighted that their brains can't make rational comparisons using the actual facts on the table.

Reactions: Indus

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Yeah somehow Nixon, Reagan, Dubya, Cheney, Wolfowitz never saw much-deserved prison time for their egregious crimes against this country and against humanity, yet Hillary is the greatest criminal that ever became a politician.

This is how republicans think. They have been so thoroughly gaslighted that their brains can't make rational comparisons using the actual facts on the table.

This is why the approach to politics need to change. I have been thinking that criminally charging a President is problematic, but then what is having an actual criminal President?

So I'm shifting to "screw the memo", the only reason Trump isn't standing next to Cohen at sentencing, and charge him. "You can't!"- well actually "you can" because this has not happened before and so the Constitutionality is not settled. "BUT!" No buts. "The DOJ can't prosecute!"- again we don't know what can and cannot happen until the only body invested with the power to make a ruling does so, that is the SCOTUS.

In the meantime the House and the investigations do their business, and proper felonies are impeachment worthy. At this point the Republican leadership will have to deal with the ignoble prospect of allowing a criminal becoming a convicted criminal to remain in office and be The Party of Prison Presidents".

We really need to have this before the Supremes as this uncertainty allows for no reasonable actions under current conditions which will work.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

"Crooked Hillary" is the greatest political scam ever perpetrated on the American public. It could only happen after people's brains had been softened by decades of relentless right wing agitprop & disinformation.

Trumpsters? Y'all been bamboozled & chumped by the most amazing con artist in the history of this country. Fox, Breitbart, Gingrich & a host of talking heads have been setting you up for decades. It's time to fess up, fix it & move on.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Latest findings from Mueller
First, the evidence mounts that Trump has committed federal crimes unrelated to Russia. When Michael Cohen pleaded guilty in August to campaign finance violations based on hush money payments to Stephanie Clifford and Karen McDougal, he testified under oath that he had acted "in coordination and at the direction of" Trump. In his sentencing memo filed last week, Cohen reiterated that he committed the campaign finance crimes "in accordance with [Trump's] directives."
Second, it is increasingly clear that Trump had deep financial and political incentives to curry favor from Russia as the 2016 election approached.
Cohen's guilty plea last week, and the sentencing memos that followed, provide the clearest answer we have seen thus far. We now know that, as late as June 2016 -- well into the presidential campaign and after Trump had become the presumptive nominee -- the Trump Organization sought to build a tower in Moscow and needed approvals from the Russian government to make it happen.
Trump repeatedly has denied having financial or other ties to Russia, during and since the 2016 campaign. Cohen's guilty plea last week, and the documents that Mueller cited in the court filings, conclusively prove that Trump's denials were false.

Based on these revelations, we now know that Trump was compromised deep into his run for the White House. Trump needed to curry favor with the Russian government to obtain approvals for the Moscow project. Further complicating matters, while Trump lied to the public about his business dealings with Russia, the Russian government had proof to the contrary -- in the form of written communications with Cohen -- which Russia could have used for leverage over Trump.

Because of his own financial dealings and lies to the public, Trump gave Russia the ability to influence and potentially manipulate him. Given that, it's no wonder Russia tried to help Trump win the election, as Mueller has alleged in the indictment of Russian intelligence agency hackers.
https://www.kimt.com/content/national/502222501.html

Jan 25, 2011

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012
Trump confirms Kelly is out by the end of the year.

Trump didn’t announce Nick Ayers replacing Kelly yet. Source says they’re still negotiating. Ayers told Trump he wants to go back to his home state Georgia at the end of the year, but offered to become COS temporarily. However, Trump wants a two-year commitment."

Ayers is Mike Pence's COS. A fellow religious Fundi. He is the board secretary of Leading the Way, a Georgia-based organization whose goal is to convert Muslims to Christianity.

It's possible that John Kelly is the only thing that kept Trump's approval rating from continuing its decline towards the low-30s. Whether the two are talking or not, Kelly was still serving a strong roll blocking stupid shit from getting to Trump, even if he had limited control of stupid shit coming from Trump.

Unless Ayers has the magic of Trump-whispering, I would expect that we'll start to see a new output of idiocy, and Ayers will learn to appreciate true fear.

I'm curious what John Bolton's strategy is. I assume he just avoids Trump and does his own thing.

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012
If he does Barr won’t be around long. And that description of him is echoed by quite a few non partisan people I’ve seen.

That being said he’s on record bashing the Mueller investigation and toeing the investigate Hillary line so time will tell.

If we needed any more proof that Trump considers the job of the AG to be his personal lawyer, here it is.

White House officials reached out to William P. Barr for position as Trump's top defense lawyer on the Russia probe a year before offering him Attorney General

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Who in their right mind would touch, no less take a job, in the dumpster fire that is the Trump Presidency, ever more so right now? Wanna tank your career? This be your ticket!

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
Who in their right mind would touch, no less take a job, in the dumpster fire that is the Trump Presidency, ever more so right now? Wanna tank your career? This be your ticket!
People woefully unqualified who are willing to bet the farm in the small chance it pays off?

Reactions: cytg111

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Sarah Palin for Chief of Staff! Or maybe Stephen Miller! Or Rudy!

Maybe this whole Deep State thing is actually a good thing. It's harder for the people at the top to really fuck it up...

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Trump didn’t announce Nick Ayers replacing Kelly yet. Source says they’re still negotiating. Ayers told Trump he wants to go back to his home state Georgia at the end of the year, but offered to become COS temporarily. However, Trump wants a two-year commitment."

Ayers is Mike Pence's COS. A fellow religious Fundi. He is the board secretary of Leading the Way, a Georgia-based organization whose goal is to convert Muslims to Christianity.

It's possible that John Kelly is the only thing that kept Trump's approval rating from continuing its decline towards the low-30s. Whether the two are talking or not, Kelly was still serving a strong roll blocking stupid shit from getting to Trump, even if he had limited control of stupid shit coming from Trump.

Unless Ayers has the magic of Trump-whispering, I would expect that we'll start to see a new output of idiocy, and Ayers will learn to appreciate true fear.

I'm curious what John Bolton's strategy is. I assume he just avoids Trump and does his own thing.

Nick Ayers not only turned down the Trump offer but he's resigning as Pence's Chief. He's running while he can get out.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
People woefully unqualified who are willing to bet the farm in the small chance it pays off?

I think there are people like Kelly who would accept the challenge of running Crazytown for the good of the Country.

I figure Nancy & Mitch will have the ammo to put an end to it once the new Congress is seated. Nancy wouldn't even blink. Mitch might be a different story.

Feb 4, 2009

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
I think there are people like Kelly who would accept the challenge of running Crazytown for the good of the Country.

I figure Nancy & Mitch will have the ammo to put an end to it once the new Congress is seated. Nancy wouldn't even blink. Mitch might be a different story.
Mitch can still seat corrupt GOP judges with Pence, so I wouldn't be overly shocked if his support for a trump evaporated.

Reactions: esquared