Two year old killed by a pack of pit bulls

woolfe9999

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2005
Sad story, happened yesterday just 30 miles from where I live, and is all over the local news:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/wor...h-FIVE-pit-bull-terriers-horrific-attack.html

On the same Google search, I found another story of a 2-year old killed by a pit bull, just 2 months before, and also in California:

http://cbs5.com/local/toddler.mauled.pit.2.1721142.html

Some statistics on dog bites in America:

http://www.dog-bite-law-center.com/pgs/stats.html

Salient excerpt:

Pit bulls cause one-third of dog-bite related fatalities while only make up less than 2% of the dog population.

Should pit bulls be banned as pets?

Should their owners be criminally prosecuted when their dogs kill?

I don't have much of an opinion about this yet, but this morning on the local radio lots of people were calling for the banning of pit bulls, so I thought I'd throw this one out for the peanut gallery.

- wolf

Last edited:

nick1985

Lifer
Dec 29, 2002
The illegals around me LOVE pitbulls. It must be some sort of status symbol amongst these people. I dont get it.

xj0hnx

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2007
Their popularly is strange given their homicidal history and aggressive in-bred traits, but that is seemingly part of the appeal.

Whoever runs that site is a fucking moron, and an idiot.

Linflas

Lifer
Jan 30, 2001
Sad story, happened yesterday just 30 miles from where I live, and is all over the local news:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/wor...h-FIVE-pit-bull-terriers-horrific-attack.html

On the same Google search, I found another story of a 2-year old killed by a pit bull, just 2 months before, and also in California:

http://cbs5.com/local/toddler.mauled.pit.2.1721142.html

Some statistics on dog bites in America:

http://www.dog-bite-law-center.com/pgs/stats.html

Salient excerpt:

Should their owners be criminally prosecuted when their dogs kill?

I don't have much of an opinion about this yet, but this morning on the local radio lots of people were calling for the banning of pit bulls, so I thought I'd throw this one out for the peanut gallery.

- wolf

Too bad those statistics don't include what percentage of those bites come from pit bulls owned by wanna be thugs in the "projects".

Mursilis

Diamond Member
Mar 11, 2001

No. An aggressive dog is merely a reflection of poor training by the owner. One of my mutts is part pit bull terrier, and is as non-aggressive and submissive as any dog you'll ever meet. Our other mutt (some sort of husky/shepherd mix) is the same way. It's all about proper training.

nick1985

Lifer
Dec 29, 2002
just wondering, how do you know they are illegal?

8 cars parked in the street in front of their house. There has to be at least 15 people living there. I'm not entirely sure some are, but there are some red flags. The latinos I know that are here legally do not live like that.

woolfe9999

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2005
No. An aggressive dog is merely a reflection of poor training by the owner. One of my mutts is part pit bull terrier, and is as non-aggressive and submissive as any dog you'll ever meet. Our other mutt (some sort of husky/shepherd mix) is the same way. It's all about proper training.

That's what some of the people on the radio call in show said. It was pointed out, however, that while responsible ownership can greatly reduce the risk of fatal or highly injurious attacks, that sometimes it happens even with responsible ownership, and apparently more so with this breed than others.

- wolf

DesiPower

Lifer
Nov 22, 2008

I hope some pitbull bites your balls off some day. I wish it upon you

Jmman

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 1999
It does come down to the training of the owners, but no matter how badly the owner trains it, a poodle isn't gonna kill someone. Pit bulls are somewhat inherently more dangerous than some other breeds......

classy

Lifer
Oct 12, 1999
They are just like any other dog. No more violent or aggressive, but their bite is many times more powerful than almost all other dogs. I have had several friends who have owned them for many years and never had a problem. My one friend said his dog did go through the front window after a guy. He said his dog just didn't like him and he had to lock Melazar away everytime the dude would come over. He said he would just go bezerk. I used to play with him all the time. Was never ever aggressive and loved to play with kids.

DesiPower

Lifer
Nov 22, 2008
It does come down to the training of the owners, but no matter how badly the owner trains it, a poodle isn't gonna kill someone. Pit bulls are somewhat inherently more dangerous than some other breeds.... to put it mildly

Fixed

Last edited:

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
Of course pit bulls and other similar dog breeds are going to have a much higher rate of killing due to dog bites, if you look up overall statistics though you are much safer having a pit bull than a cockerspanial. There is NOTHING WRONG WITH THE PIT BULL BREED ONLY OWNERS. Pit bulls are amazing dogs and it's a goddamn shame so many people think they're evil. Pit bulls were bred as an American family dog.

classy

Lifer
Oct 12, 1999
The illegals around me LOVE pitbulls. It must be some sort of status symbol amongst these people. I dont get it.

You are such a fvcking tool. You don't know if they are illegal or not and quite frankly it has not got jack to do with this kid getting mauled.

Last edited:

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
They are just like any other dog. No more violent or aggressive, but their bite is many times more powerful than almost all other dogs. I have had several friends who have owned them for many years and never had a problem. My oen friend said his dog did go through the front window after a guy. He said his dog just didn't like hima nd he had to lock Melazar away everytime the dude would come over. He said he would just go bezerk. I used to play with him all the time. Was never ever aggressive and loved to play with kids.

You would actually be surprised to learn that Pit Bulls do not have the hardest bite of all the dog species. German Shepards have a bite just as strong or stronger and both are blown away by the amount of force a Rott bite can have.

Rotties and Pit Bulls are great family dogs, they just have to be raised and treated properly. I would not trade a loyal well trained Rott or Pit for anything. BTW fuck PETA and their want of extinction to these large work breeds.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
if the child was poor then good riddance. Less sucking on the welfare teet of the country. If it was of a wealthy family then this is truly bad news and my condolences go out to the family.

woolfe9999

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2005
Anyone know how to edit your thread title? I used to know how to do it, but I forgot.

- wolf

Elfear

Diamond Member
May 30, 2004
I have mixed feeling on the issue. As others have mentioned I don't think there is anything inherently wrong with the breed. I have met some very docile and friendly
Pits. Problem is they are just so strong and the potential for bodily harm from a Pit is higher than other breeds. First time I saw a Pit Bull up close I was amazed at how muscular they are and the size of their massive jaws.

Maybe ownership could be limited to those persons with a permit. To get a permit you must prove that you would be a competent owner. Something like a gun background check.

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
I would also like to point out that these numbers are misleading because when they count bite statistics they are including pit bulls and pit bull like breeds, whereas the population % of pit bulls is more likely that of just pit bulls and not pit bulls and pit bull like breeds.

Mursilis

Diamond Member
Mar 11, 2001
It does come down to the training of the owners, but no matter how badly the owner trains it, a poodle isn't gonna kill someone. Pit bulls are somewhat inherently more dangerous than some other breeds......

Any large dog can be dangerous, but doesn't have to be. I bet my husky mix (~75 pounds) could do some damage (he's got some serious teeth), but he's completely docile, and no threat to anyone.

DesiPower

Lifer
Nov 22, 2008
if the child was poor then good riddance. Less sucking on the welfare teet of the country. If it was of a wealthy family then this is truly bad news and my condolences go out to the family.

lol, well said my friend

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
Ok, it seems like some of you guys don't realize wtf pit bulls were bred for. Pit bulls were bred to NOT be human aggressive, but large animal aggressive. There is a big difference there and yes dogs can tell the difference. Pits were used by frontier families crossing the planes across America. They were used as protection from animals and as a family pet. They are, when trained properly, probably one of the best dogs you could possibly have as a family pet and would most likely sooner die for you than kill you.

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
Any large dog can be dangerous, but doesn't have to be. I bet my husky mix (~75 pounds) could do some damage (he's got some serious teeth), but he's completely docile, and no threat to anyone.

Any dog is dangerous, not just large breeds. You are more likely to be hurt tripping over a small dog or a dog toy or a dog bowl than be hurt by an attacking dog.