Two WinXP Installs on same partition?

newParadigm

Diamond Member
Jul 30, 2003
I have a lappy I got on temp lone from my office. It has some crucial apps on it that cannot be deleted, but the thing runs dogged slow, has all kinds of weird processes running in the background, and Sys Idle Process is rarley using more than 50% of he resource\s (a problem).

So my question is, as I cannot reformat the thing, can I install a second install of XP on the same partition?

Thanks,

Vince

P.S., the lappy may use a 1.8" drive, in which case I will swap the drive from my iPod (yes, i'm adventurous).

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Originally posted by: newParadime
I have a lappy I got on temp lone from my office. It has some crucial apps on it that cannot be deleted, but the thing runs dogged slow, has all kinds of weird processes running in the background, and Sys Idle Process is rarley using more than 50% of he resource\s (a problem).

So my question is, as I cannot reformat the thing, can I install a second install of XP on the same partition?

Thanks,

Vince

P.S., the lappy may use a 1.8" drive, in which case I will swap the drive from my iPod (yes, i'm adventurous).

Based on Win2K installs - yes.
You will have to assign a new master directory and some files in the root could be over-written.

Best to make an image of the primary partition first just in case something goes wrong.

Then when you do a custom install, specify a different Windows folder.

All apps that were previously installed will not be registered for the new install.

JBT

Lifer
Nov 28, 2001
Can't you just create a different username, that doesn't have those apps running?

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Originally posted by: JBT
Can't you just create a different username, that doesn't have those apps running?

He may feel that the base XP installation has been "comprimised"

Your option should be the first that is tried. If it succeeds, it will save a lot of work.