Two stroke oil brand: does it matter?

Joepublic2

Golden Member
Jan 22, 2005
So, my ancient electric string trimmer finally gave up the ghost (shorted out I guess and literally caught on fire) so I fixed up this cheapo Homelite 26ss string trimmer I dug out of the trash a couple months ago (rebuilt and cleaned the carb with an ultrasonic cleaner and carb cleaner). Runs great but its super loud and vibrates so hard it makes your hands go numb after about 20 minutes of use; it's fine for the 5-10 minutes of bi-monthly light duty work I do with it, though. I run 87 octane e0 (ethanol just murders the small pumper carbs on these things) in it with some cheapo super tech 2 stroke oil from Walmart.

I was thinking about getting a nice new echo trimmer since my neighbors have actually called to complain about the noise the homelite makes (yes, it's that loud) and I just want a new toy to be honest.

TL:'DR: Do you think it really makes a difference if I put the super tech vs. their 2x as expensive echo 2 stroke oil in it?

Mandres

Jun 8, 2011
I use the name brand stuff (Echo,Husqvarna,etc.) but only because it supposedly includes fuel stabilizer. I always neglect to empty out the gas and run it dry before putting the tool away and I feel like a little stabilizer probably helps.

Joepublic2

Golden Member
Jan 22, 2005
I use the name brand stuff (Echo,Husqvarna,etc.) but only because it supposedly includes fuel stabilizer. I always neglect to empty out the gas and run it dry before putting the tool away and I feel like a little stabilizer probably helps.

I already use sta-bil storage (supposedly stabilizes fuel for 2 years) in the e0 gas I buy because I have to drive a bit to get it, so I buy 5 gallons at a time. Thanks for the input.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
I reasoned once that all 2 stroke oil is probably equivalent. When I took a (thankfully cheap) couple month old chainsaw into the shop to see if he could get it tuned up better; it ran like crap, he showed me how it was pretty much ready for the garbage. He asked about oil... I'm very careful when mixing - yes, I can mix a little bottle that's made for 1 gallon of gasoline with 1.000 gallons of gasoline, even taking a moment to pour a little gasoline in the empty oil bottle to "rinse" it out to make sure I've gotten it all. He said the damage was probably from the cheap oil. Now, I exclusively use the name brands and have never had a problem since then. Though, I'm not 100% certain the problem from the chain saw necessarily stemmed from the cheap oil; it was one of those cheap Poulan Pro 18" saws, and I used it to cut up a VERY large maple tree (I've posted pictures of one of those trees in the past - most of the trunk was well in excess of 3 feet in diameter.) I think those saws are more intended for average homeowners who take the time to cut up what I just yank out of the ground whole with the tractor.

jaha2000

Jul 28, 2008
i use my super expensive motor cycle stuff. It lasts forevers in the can and smells awsome.

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
I asked at the local outdoor equipment store and they said they used Stihl in everything. I got that answer after asking if I really needed to buy the Toro branded oil when the only Toro equipment I have is a snow blower versus multiple pieces of Stihl equipment.

Feb 4, 2009
I'm a believer that oil is so over engineered now its irrelevant what brand you use with exceptions for stuff like the previously mentioned motorcycle oil its made to run hotter.

cardiac

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
I recently bought a new Stihl MS180 chainsaw (It's freaking awesome!), and at the time of purchase, they showed me a promotion Stihl had going that if you buy a 6-pack of Stihl oil with the saw, (I think it was $9.99) they will double the warranty to 2 years on the saw. Kind of a no-brainer. Stihl has a lot of confidence in their oil.....

Joepublic2

Golden Member
Jan 22, 2005
I recently bought a new Stihl MS180 chainsaw (It's freaking awesome!), and at the time of purchase, they showed me a promotion Stihl had going that if you buy a 6-pack of Stihl oil with the saw, (I think it was $9.99) they will double the warranty to 2 years on the saw. Kind of a no-brainer. Stihl has a lot of confidence in their oil.....

Yeah. I think I'll spring for the echo brand stuff. Stihl probably edges out echo on quality but man their stuff is expensive.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
I'm a believer that oil is so over engineered now its irrelevant what brand you use with exceptions for stuff like the previously mentioned motorcycle oil its made to run hotter.
I propose a test of your theory. To test it, buy your oil at a dollar general type of store. I don't recommend doing this test. Saved me 40 minutes of driving, potentially cost me a chainsaw.

slag

Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
I use quicksilver 2 stroke jetski (TWC-3) oil in my jetskis, but will also use the walmart brand and have been known to get the maxima 2 stroke to see if its any different. I notice no change except in the smell. I tend to use only opti 2 stroke in my small engines like weedeaters though.

Blain

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Go to Walmart...
Find synthetic blend 2-cycle oil...
Buy the cheapest gallon jug of synthetic blend 2-cycle oil.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
I just buy the premixed cans of 40:1 for the weed eater and 50:1 for the Husqvarna chain saw.

edro

Lifer
Apr 5, 2002
Why on earth would you risk cheap oil when the good stuff is cheap and lasts forever?
A 6 pack of Stihl is like $20 from a dealer.
That 6 pack should last you 2-3 seasons, unless you are a professional landscaper.

edro

Lifer
Apr 5, 2002
I just buy the premixed cans of 40:1 for the weed eater and 50:1 for the Husqvarna chain saw.
I used to think this was retarded... but now that I have a small yard, it's starting to make sense.