Two Samsung 840 Pro's & 1 840 have failed, 4 at [H]ardOCP (Early review sample SSD's)

Page 9 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
I do hope you redo all the tests, specially the power usages tests.

It was terribly wrong of Samsung to send to the reviewers a drive that has a different firmware from the one sold at retailers, when different firmwares could have different performance or have different issues.

True enough.
I guess the only way to make sure is to buy the SSD (or whatever) from a retailer, so then, you know that the company in question can't pull any fast ones.

videoclone

Golden Member
Jun 5, 2003
The suspense is killing me...lol!!

For all these people worried about filling up an 840 to then have it fail. Information on a retail drive failing is on everyone's radar.. and now with Anandtech repeating the benchmarks on a retail drive they will soon know. I still think you cant go wrong with a samsung 830... not only should the drive last longer with the 27nm VS 22nm nand(on the 840) but its proven to be solid as a rock from day one.

Last edited:

hardcode

Nov 22, 2012
I ordered one of the Samsung 840 Pro 256GB yesterday. After going through this forum I'm bit scared :eek:. Do you think future firmware upgrade will solve this issue or it's hardware based issue?

Coup27

Platinum Member
Jul 17, 2010
I ordered one of the Samsung 840 Pro 256GB yesterday. After going through this forum I'm bit scared :eek:. Do you think future firmware upgrade will solve this issue or it's hardware based issue?
If you had read all of this thread then you will have read that review samples or advanced units were shipped with firmware DXM02B0Q which was prone to failure.

Retail units have shipped with DXM03B0Q and there have been no reports yet of any issues. Samsung claim to have fixed the bug causing the drives to die in DXM03B0Q and so far there have been no claims to the contrary.

Coup27

Platinum Member
Jul 17, 2010
Are there any Intel SSDs that compare to the 840 Pro?
Depends how you view it. In generation terms, no. The 830 and the 520 were of the same generation. The 840 Pro is the first "next generation" SSD.

In reality, you would not be able to tell the difference outside of benchmarks between an 830, an 840 Pro or a 520.

kevinsbane

Jun 16, 2010
Depends how you view it. In generation terms, no. The 830 and the 520 were of the same generation. The 840 Pro is the first "next generation" SSD.

In reality, you would not be able to tell the difference outside of benchmarks between an 830, an 840 Pro or a 520.
There's the just released Intel S3700.

BrightCandle

Diamond Member
Mar 15, 2007
I still think you cant go wrong with a samsung 830... not only should the drive last longer with the 27nm VS 22nm nand(on the 840) but its proven to be solid as a rock from day one.

Not quite right. The Samsung 830 still has issues with sleep on a variety of platforms. If you S3 sleep your machine when you next reboot the hard drive will disappear. Only fix seems to be a complete pull the cable power down. Its quite scary the first time it happens as it looks like your disk is dead. There have been power down issues since day 1 and the firmwares have changed the situation somewhat but haven't yet repaired the problem. We shall see how it fairs over the long term, but its not perfect.

Remobz

Platinum Member
Jun 9, 2005
Not quite right. The Samsung 830 still has issues with sleep on a variety of platforms. If you S3 sleep your machine when you next reboot the hard drive will disappear. Only fix seems to be a complete pull the cable power down. Its quite scary the first time it happens as it looks like your disk is dead. There have been power down issues since day 1 and the firmwares have changed the situation somewhat but haven't yet repaired the problem. We shall see how it fairs over the long term, but its not perfect.

What about Corsair or Plextor then?

We need other reliable options now.

Coup27

Platinum Member
Jul 17, 2010
I have seen many of these issues but everyone I have seen and advised on was found to be on a 3rd party SATA port. When connected to an Intel native SATA port the sleep issue went away. 3rd party SATA ports are notorious for being wishy washy.

Do the cases you know about definitely use native Intel SATA ports?

videoclone

Golden Member
Jun 5, 2003
I had allot of issues with a normal 1TB Hard drive on a 3rd party SATA port.. i moved to an intel port and all my problems were fixed..

This is not only for SSD's ... all non native stat ports 'CAN BE Buddy" for any storage drives are best to be avoided if you can, especially for the Operating Systems Drive.

videoclone

Golden Member
Jun 5, 2003
There have been power down issues since day 1 and the firmwares have changed the situation somewhat but haven't yet repaired the problem. We shall see how it fairs over the long term, but its not perfect.

The 830 problems are 100% related to the motherboards and SATA Controllers.. have nothing to do with the drive itself..

Amatures not knowing how to install an SSD and then running into issues, YES
But no wide spread failures like the other brands...

zod96

Platinum Member
May 28, 2007
I've had my 840 Pro now about 3 weeks. Not a single problem rock solid....

AbRASiON

Oct 10, 1999
Both of our 840 Pros had the firmware DXM02B0Q in them, just got a confirmation from Anand. That's not to say that the retail units are issue-free, but they do have a newer firmware that supposedly fixes the issues we've been having.

We now have an 840 Pro with the new firmware as well, lets see if we can kill that one...

Snap to it! Looking forward to some feedback :)

Nov 26, 2005
Thanks. I will. I'm not too worried though. I currently have a primary SSD where I could unplug it until something happens and if so just put it right back in and i'm good to go. The warranty and the extra 10$ off over New Egg pushed me into buying it.

hardcode

Nov 22, 2012
I got my drive on last Friday 23rd and I installed windows 8 on it. So far I don't see any issue. Only thing is I couldn't install the Samsung Magician on windows 8. I tried to set the compatibility to windows 7, still gives me error on installation.

Remobz

Platinum Member
Jun 9, 2005
I got my drive on last Friday 23rd and I installed windows 8 on it. So far I don't see any issue. Only thing is I couldn't install the Samsung Magician on windows 8. I tried to set the compatibility to windows 7, still gives me error on installation.

What is your firmware version please?

Coup27

Platinum Member
Jul 17, 2010
Go into device manager, open disk drives and open your SSD. Go into the details tab and change the property to hardware Ids. The last values on the end of the strings will be the firmware.

The above is how is works on Windows 7, I haven't used Windows 8 yet so don't know where device manager is or whether it even looks the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.