Two Samsung 840 Pro's & 1 840 have failed, 4 at [H]ardOCP (Early review sample SSD's)

Discussion in 'Memory and Storage' started by videoclone, Nov 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jwilliams4200

jwilliams4200 Senior member

2. videoclone

videoclone Golden Member

sorry i quoted the wrong person. I clicked below the wrong box.
    It was a reply to what "davewolfs" said about Anandtech being an unreliable source for information and to take the two failed drives with a grain of salt

#102 videoclone, Nov 15, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2012
  3. davewolfs

davewolfs Junior Member

I really don't care about what Anandtech said. Seriously. The drive works for me so far and I will report otherwise if it dies.

What I do find dodgy is the timing in which they reported the drive failing.

I mean really, the tester woke up Tuesday morning and the drive just failed? Get real.

4. videoclone

videoclone Golden Member

That is strange yes. It could also be a coincidence.. either way i would still make sure you have your files backed up just to be safe :) ( As for the drive itself, it comes with warranty so no worries )

5. rgallant

rgallant Golden Member

dang where I live they just came in stock in all the stores around me ,must resist after a 4 out of 4 fail rate and a 2 out of 2 ,
    - but it would be nice if the the failed drives could be linked to a batch or date ,ser #. -reporting dead drives and no infro seems lacking in that regard.

6. Hellhammer

Hellhammer AnandTech Emeritus

All SSDs I have in use are review samples and have been put through the same testing (i.e. the tests that are used for our consumer SSD reviews). Additional testing, such as endurance and enterprise tests, are run on some drives when it makes sense and of course, if there is something out of the ordinary, I will run more tests and try to figure out what's going on. So far I haven't managed to kill a drive but a drive can fail even under light workload, so it's not necessarily our workload that kills the drive (think about most consumers with failed SSDs, their usage is often very light).

I don't understand what's your problem here. We can only base our recommendations on our experience, which has so far been terrible. Your mileage may vary and just because two of our samples have died doesn't mean that all drives will fail within weeks. However, it's likely that there is a problem and the failure rate is above normal.

Think about what would happen if we still recommended buying the SSD 840 Pro and it would fail on dozens of buyers. We would get blamed for hiding the issue and being a pet of Samsung, which would result in a massive loss of credibility.

We reported the failure when the SSD died, it wasn't planned. Anand was running our new enterprise tests on the sample for the Intel DC3700 review, hence the timing.

The first sample died at even worse timing. I woke up in Korea, checked my email and Anand had sent me a note that our 840 Pro just died. Great, the NDA was about to be lifted in less than 12 hours. That's the worst possible timing. What makes it even worse is that Samsung spent a lot of time talking about how their SSDs are more reliable and durable than many of the competitors' offerings. I even spoke with the vice president of Samsung's memory business branch who also emphasized Samsung's attention to reliability and it sure was awkward when I told him that our review sample had actually died last night.

Seriously, we have no reason to smudge Samsung's or anyone's imago, all we do is report our findings and then base our recommendations on those.

7. geofelt

geofelt Member

@Hellhammer:
    Will you post the resolution here first?

8. Hellhammer

It will probably go to the main site first when we can talk about it.

On a related note, my 250GB SSD 840 is now officially dead as well.

9. jwilliams4200

Ouch! What was the last reading you had of attribute 177 raw value before it died?

10. Hellhammer

11. GPz1100

GPz1100 Senior member

Decided to bite the bullet. Amazon's extended holiday return period ends 1/31/2012. Figure if it's going to fail, it'll hopefully happen in that time frame, and/or some light may be shed on these failures.

12. Coup27

Coup27 Platinum Member

I didn't think you had managed to write enough to kill the drive through writes? Does that mean that is just died?

If so, Samsung have a major problem on their hands. Intel are on a major PR event with their new SSD and now have a 6Gbps controller with enterprise roots which can be adapted to consumers. I can't believe Samsung have managed to go backwards from the 830 which is a bulletproof and very fast drive.

13. Remobz

Remobz Platinum Member

You mean the Intel 520 series? Other?

I am not buying Samsung for my first SSD unless I can get hold of a 830 series.

14. Coup27

Coup27 Platinum Member

The DC S3700.

There are still plenty of 830's about. The 830 was one of the fastest SSDs of its generation and the 840 series is one of the first of the next generation and as its not looking good on that front you aren't losing anything getting an 830.

#114 Coup27, Nov 16, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2012
  15. yefi

yefi Member

They didn't say that all bugs had been worked out. I also believe this site's recommendation for anyone who wants a reliable drive is to not buy one on the day of its release, but to wait several months, so that it has a proven track record.

16. Elixer

Elixer Diamond Member

Don't those statements conflict with each other ?
    I assume Sammy told you not to tell people something, which is why you wrote "...when we can talk about it" ?

You still have lots of readers that have no idea there are potential issues with the 840 Pro, and they don't frequent every thread in the forums, so it should be made clear on the front page (not tacked on as a 'update' on the first review) that all your samples(?) have died.

True, could have been a bad batch, but this really should be made clear on the main site, just like when the OCZ reliability issues turned up.

17. davewolfs

davewolfs Junior Member

Avoid Intel 520 at all costs. It's a blue screening nightmare.

18. Zap

Zap Elite Member

Good for you.

I personally have had a number of OCZ SSDs over the years starting from an Indilinx Barefoot based Agility 60GB. Still have that drive and it still works (albeit slower than more modern drives). Does this mean I should call shens on everyone who reports their OCZ drive as having died?

Are you claiming that they are purely making this up, like 60 Minutes did about Audi having unintended acceleration?

What possible reason would AnandTech have that would make them invent such a lie?

And if the drives did indeed die, would you rather they kept silent about it?

I'd say this also goes for motherboards as well. :thumbsup: Basically, any category of product that has a history of firmware/BIOS updates.

Fixed for ya. No need to thank me. :p

19. GlacierFreeze

GlacierFreeze Golden Member

And we don't care what you say. Seriously. The drive has failed 2 out of 2 on this review site and 4 of 4 on another site and they will report otherwise if it works.

20. zod96

zod96 Platinum Member

Had my 840 Pro for about 2 weeks now. Rock solid not a single problem...256GB version

21. Burner27

Burner27 Diamond Member

I have had mine for a week now. Had my OS/Apps on it and now i don't after reading this thread and the one on [H]. Hoping to see a resolution from Samsung on this.

22. m.alkhalel

m.alkhalel Member

Now I get why it hasn't been released yet here in Germany.

23. rgallant

rgallant Golden Member

-no one is giving ser#, dates so don't loose sleep over it, if it was a 40.00 cpu they would give batch #'s, could be pre release batch being handed out like candy .
    -but as a buyer I'll wait for the out come of this.

24. jwilliams4200

There is no manufacture date printed on the box or the SSD label. If the date is coded into the serial number, then it is a very good code because I cannot decipher it.

25. rgallant

rgallant Golden Member

ok ,I won't mention it again.
    thanks BTW for the heads up on the 840pro .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.