Two Samsung 840 Pro's & 1 840 have failed, 4 at [H]ardOCP (Early review sample SSD's)

Discussion in 'Memory and Storage' started by videoclone, Nov 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zap

Zap Elite Member

Hmmm, maybe pricing changed.

2. katkah

katkah Junior Member

I purchased mine a couple of days ago and received today. I think it EXTREMELY ironic that the 2 failed exactly coinciding with their release to the public. :sneaky: I purchased the US version and both posters seem to be posting from elsewhere. :rolleyes: I didn't open waiting for some real life reviews but based on the previous version and the additional year of research I can't wait to see what consumer level users have to say. It is reported to come with a game (assasin III), but I'd rather have lower prices. ;) I guess that they are trying to hook gamers on the SSD experience. :cool:

3. Puffnstuff

Puffnstuff Diamond Member

I cloned my boot drive the my 840 pro this afternoon but haven't installed it yet. I didn't receive any games with my drive.

4. tweakboy

tweakboy Diamond Member

I hear you Corky, But the 840 Pro just came out. I will bet my life they will eventually release a firmware promising faster boot times or faster performance and blah fixes. But as I said I hear you...

5. katkah

katkah Junior Member

It's being reported everywhere:

http://www.engadget.com/2012/11/07/samsung-bundles-assassins-creed-iii-with-ssd-840-pro/

Look through your paperwork as it is just a code and a link to download the product.

I'm going from a 7200 to the ssd so I am doing a clean install to ensure proper settings, but will definitely wait before I open it. Not actually scared but I want to hear others experiences with everything. :)

6. Puffnstuff

Puffnstuff Diamond Member

Getting back on topic this is the only place that I see reporting a failure of this drive. I'll swap mine in soon. I also double checked the the contents of my drive and no game code or reference to a free game.

7. videoclone

videoclone Golden Member

Im in Metro, Sydney, Australia.. Cheapest i've seen it for is $195AU ... its not as good as $149.99US but its not bad either. Sandisk's can be had for $170

The exchange rate is $1 AU buys $1 US so pretty much the same apart from tax and larger market making the cost cheaper for the US

#32 videoclone, Nov 9, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2012
  8. tweakboy

tweakboy Diamond Member

613 dollars for a 840 pro 512GB

The 830 512GB came out at 1100k then price went to 700 dollars, while M4 512GB was 400 to the door. saved 300 bones,,,,,,, and I love Crucial , especially firmware 010G heehhe

9. videoclone

videoclone Golden Member

He sent the drives back to samsung :)

10. jwilliams4200

jwilliams4200 Senior member

Obviously. Did you have a point?

11. Coup27

Coup27 Platinum Member

Would you care to expand these comments? They suggest that Anandtech has purposely given Samsung some bad publicity at the same time as a product release.

The second statement is just thick. Do you think Samsung makes US and non-US versions of their SSDs? Also you said "both posters" - this thread is about the 2 review drives which both failed on Kristian Vatto.

12. Hellhammer

Hellhammer AnandTech Emeritus

Anand had both of the drives so I'm not sure if he did that kind of testing. He told me he's suspecting that it's the power delivery circuit but without a confirmation from Samsung, it's just a guess.

As far as I know, yes, it just died. No longer being detected by BIOS or the system at all.

It was one of the newer enterprise tests, so not the same test as with the earlier sample. Not sure which test exactly.

Actually, Anand killed both of the samples. I only have the regular 840, Anand has (well, had) the Pro.

13. jwilliams4200

Can you try to find out which test was running when it died? I'd like to try it (or as close as I can replicate Anand's test with IOMeter or fio) on my 840 Pro to see if the same workload will also kill my unit.

14. hhhd1

hhhd1 Senior member

Both drives where from the same batch that were being sent to reviewers and available to samsung officials, and both drives had the same issue.

I wonder if the same tests would be ran on a drive from a different source would it have the same issues or not.

15. katkah

katkah Junior Member

Sure this site is the only one reporting a failure and at the exact same time as the release. They didn't fail last week or a week prior or even next week but within days of being released. :confused: Plextor M5P would be the next best drive NOT Crucial. :D

#40 katkah, Nov 9, 2012
  16. tweakboy

tweakboy Diamond Member

Ya, as long as you have Windows Image on your external your safe. But always turn off that external, on only when you need to. Make sure that doesnt die ya know.

But this is scary story. I feel for you to have to install OS then apps and data and games and pooof. So you go that wasn't cool its ok,, I have no choice RMA , then you get another one and pooof again. Can this be from a bad batch ????? That is the question, or shouldn't matter what batch it comes out with....

Reminds me I gotta do one now with my new sick OS ,, but used mobos eSATA dont work neither does firewire,, their enabled in BIOS, overall its a disaster motherboard... I can shell 100 buck buy a new one but thats 100 less for Haswell in 2013 ,,,, hmmmmm

I know Im defintely going to Haswell 6 core 12 thread monster the highest model, which will be 1.1k dollars while the lower versions will be 500 and 300 respectively lets per say..

17. taltamir

taltamir Lifer

What does NAND lifespan have to do with an SSD failing within a few days of testing?
    That would be a defect in the drive. Firmware, power circuitry, controller... there are so many places where this kind of failure is far more plausible.

Now, I am actually concerned about the new intel SSD showcasing new shrunk NAND eating up lifespan when tested by anandtech. Waiting on the conclusion of the investigation they and intel are making into it

18. jwilliams4200

What are you talking about? You make it sound like two samples failed this week.

The first review sample failed weeks ago (in September, I believe). Then Samsung sent a replacement (I'm not sure exactly when that was received by anandtech) and that one failed, too.

Samsung really should have gotten back to anandtech with a failure report on the first unit weeks ago. I think Samsung has handled the situation very badly. Although Anand could have handled it better -- he should be printing all of the details about the two failures, such as exactly what the drives were doing when they failed, the symptoms of the failures, and any post-mortem analysis he did on the failed units.

#43 jwilliams4200, Nov 9, 2012
  19. rgallant

rgallant Golden Member

-what a mess
    -the 840pro was to be the replacement for my g2 raid 0
    -eta in Canada nov.16
    -no firmware version listed by users or Anand that I noticed ,so I'll wait and see.
    -maybe peeps with 840pro 256 can list their firmware in any comments about the 840pro 256 to compare.

20. Anteaus

Anteaus Platinum Member

It went from 1.1 million to 700? thats a hella crazy price drop lmao. I'm just messing with you its a funny type though.

21. Coup27

Coup27 Platinum Member

You obviously have no idea how stupid you sound so I think we'll just leave it there.

22. hhhd1

hhhd1 Senior member

I really hope that samsung can get back on their feet in this problem, if they don't, the SSDs market is going to be affected badly, and price wars might not be as aggressive, specially when the 830 is being taken of the market.

23. m.alkhalel

m.alkhalel Member

Any 1 knows where I can find the eta to Europe ?

#48 m.alkhalel, Nov 10, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2012
  24. katkah

katkah Junior Member

You are mouthy so I pretty much ignore you, but if it failed last month when they were tested and then sent back that should/would have been reported at the time. It wasn't reported until after the release. :colbert::p

25. katkah

katkah Junior Member

I don't sound stupid I made a typo! The same as many other people except I was fixing it whilst YOU were sounding stupid! :cool::rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.