Two Questions I've been wondering

Cogman

Lifer
Sep 19, 2000
Well, I tried to search for it, but in vain. So I'm posting what I believe to be a definite repost. Anyways here are my two questions.

1. Where the heck are AMD's EE Processors? I have looked around and can never seam to find one (a 65 watter here and there, but none with the EE tag) I thought they looked pretty promising for my needs and wanted to get my hands on one (can I just under volt and get the same results?)

2. How goes multiplier unlocking? is it possible, although messy? or is this something that you can do without reconstructing the CPU? With this question I was specifically thinking of the Core 2 Duo as I know that different chips require different methods to unlock.

Anyways Thanks for the time.

Cogman

Lifer
Sep 19, 2000
? what, has this been asked a lot? Seriously I cant find anything about the two using the search button (though I guess I could wikipedia it)

Accord99

Platinum Member
Jul 2, 2001
1) 65W AMD chips are considered EE, the 35W SFF EEs have basically never been available other than in a few HP models. But you can undervolt most CPUs and get equivalent power consumption (the SFF EE 3800+ is just an 3800+ running at 1.075v).

2) Only the Core 2 Extremes have fully unlocked multipliers. Other Core 2 Duos are only unlocked downwards and nobody has been able to break Intel's locking method. Generally the MBs and memory have enough headroom that you can still reach sizeable overclocks without the higher multipliers. There's also the E4300 which has a 9x multiplier, which combined with DDR2-800 allows you to reach the practical limits of the C2D under air.

keeleysam

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2005
Originally posted by: Accord99
1) 65W AMD chips are considered EE, the 35W SFF EEs have basically never been available other than in a few HP models. But you can undervolt most CPUs and get equivalent power consumption (the SFF EE 3800+ is just an 3800+ running at 1.075v).

2) Only the Core 2 Extremes have fully unlocked multipliers. Other Core 2 Duos are only unlocked downwards and nobody has been able to break Intel's locking method. Generally the MBs and memory have enough headroom that you can still reach sizeable overclocks without the higher multipliers. There's also the E4300 which has a 9x multiplier, which combined with DDR2-800 allows you to reach the practical limits of the C2D under air.

Actually, the ASUS P5B unlocks all Core 2 Duos.

http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2822