Two Journalists Sentenced to Death in Iran

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
these two guys must have written something really really bad about Iran. I wonder what the Iranian government is afraid of?

TEHRAN, Iran ? The Iranian judiciary confirmed that two journalist from the country's Kurdish minority have been sentenced to death, a rare verdict against media people here, the official Islamic Republic News Agency reported on Tuesday.

"Adnan Hassanpour and Hiva Boutimar have been sentenced to execution on the charge of Moharebeh," the agency quoted Ali Reza Jamshidi, spokesman of judiciary, as saying. Moharebeh, which literally means "fighting" in classical Arabic, is used in Iran's Sharia law to describe a major crime against the religion and the Islamic state.

The official new agency did not specify what crime the two Kurdish journalists were precisely accused of.

The journalists were also seen as activists in Sanandaj, the capital of the western Iranian province of Kurdistan, bordering Iraq.

They have been detained after Kurds protested in Sanandaj in 2005.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
When you can run a Fascist State that supports terrorism, you can do anything you want. Non-muslims have no rights under Muslim law and are not considered innocent.

Gneisenau

May 30, 2007
Most likely they spoke out against the government. Often, the truer your statement is, the worse the punishment.

palehorse

Lifer
Dec 21, 2005
The quote above does not indicate whether or not the accused were Muslims themselves - only that they were kurds. I'll need to look at more info. Any hints to real links would be swell...

Not that this surprises me at all. How the Iranian people put up with their system, and how fundamentalists around the world prefer a similar system, is beyond me...

Aimster

Lifer
Jan 5, 2003
They probably talked about the regime of Iran being horrible.

You've got to be an idiot to do that.

and to the guy above me who said "how the iranian people put up with their system". Iran is a young state. People don't care about politics. More likely sex and parties.

magomago

Lifer
Sep 28, 2002
Originally posted by: piasabird
When you can run a Fascist State that supports terrorism, you can do anything you want. Non-muslims have no rights under Muslim law and are not considered innocent.

Well to be fair - under their government, not even muslims have that many rights...