Two different CPU temperature readings: BIOS vs. PC Probe

openmike

Jul 2, 2003
I am getting two different temperature readings for my Pentium 4 2.40c GHz CPU on my P4P800 Deluxe motherboard. The hardware monitor in the BIOS says that it is running at around 39 Degrees Celcius, but ASUS PC Probe says it is running at 87 Degrees Celcius. Why am I getting two different readings, and which one is correct?:confused:

stardust

Golden Member
May 17, 2003
87 celcius?? are u sure?!?! anyways...many ppl think the PC-Probe is inaccurate but actually its perfectly fine. When your in BIOS, you CPU seems like its working 100% and when u are in windows, your CPU is at "idle" state. I can prove this because i have a TT Spark 7+ HSF and it has a thermal controller that revs up when the CPU gets hot. During BIOS configuration, my HSF is roughly 4000-4200rpms and 39C judging by the sound it makes, and in windows its 2900rpms according to PC Probe, SiSandra, PC wizard ect.. and 30C

toeng

Jun 18, 2003
Maybe it's reading two different thing, the CPU core and the CPU surface? could that be it?

openmike

Jul 2, 2003
I figured it out. I had previously installed Motherboard Monitor and was having the same problem. That is why I installed PC Probe to see whether it was Motherboard Monitor or the hardware. When PC Probe gave me the same reading, I assumed it was the hardware. However, I kept playing around with the Motherboard Monitor settings and found that when I changed the CPU temp sensor from Winbond 2 to Winbond 2 Diode I received an accurate reading. Then I checked PC Probe and believe it or not it was now providing and accurate reading as well. Why a Motherboard Monitor setting would affect PC Probe at all I do not know. I'm just glad it's working now.