Two AWESOME recepies, a wine paring and one impressed lady!

fonzinator

Nov 5, 2002
So, here's what I made for my wife this Valentine's Day :heart:. I thought I would share them with the ATOT hood. This salmon recepie is not mine, but it is absolutely KILLER!

Salmon with Honey-mustard, Ginger and Chianti glaze
Tip: Use the best salmon you can get your hands on - preferrably sockeye, coho or silver.

Honey-mustard Ginger Chianti Glaze:
Mix together:
4 Tbsp (that's TABLE spoons) Honey
2 Tbsp Chianti (or any other white wine; or dry vermouth)
2 Tbsp Dijon Mustard
1-1/2 Tsp (that's TEA spoons) Freshly grated/peeled ginger
1/4 Tsp salt
1/4 Tsp Freshly ground black pepper

Place salmon, skin side down, on a piece of aluminum foil (do not cover fish). Baste with glaze and place under broiler. Cook for 8-10 minutes basting frequently with remaining glaze. The honey in the glaze will blacken slightly and burn (yum!). Keep a close eye on the salmon as to not undercook or totally char the glaze. Salmon flesh should flake easily when finished. Use a flimsy spatula to separate the fish from the skin. The skin will conveniently stick to the foil.

Presentation tip: Dribble glaze onto the dinner plate before placing the fish. Add a few thin slices of ginger on top of salmon for a simple presentation.

Portabello Mushroom salad with Stilton Blue Cheese and tomatoes in Basil Vinegrette
My creation, although it's nothing new under the sun. :)

Mix together in a medium/large bowl (you will be tossing this so use a big enough bowl! :) ):
Caveat: Amounts specified are very generalized. Put on your thinking cap and adjust amounts relative to amount of mushrooms you have.

2 Tbsp Dried Basil to start (use more if you use fresh basil) - Crush basil (intensifies flavor) with the back of a spoon or use mortar and pestil if you have one.
Add 4-5 Tbsps of Extra Virgin Olive Oil to start.
Salt to taste - start with very little since you can't take it out once you put it in!
Freshly ground pepper to taste

Add a small quantity of sliced Portabello Mushrooms to bowl and toss until lightly coated. Continue adding mushrooms and toss until lightly coated. Add more olive oil as needed. *Note: You don't want the mushrooms sopping wet with the oil mixture!*

Add mushrooms on to a bed of Romaine lettuce or spinach. Add sliced tomatoes. Crumble about 0.2 oz. of Stilton Blue Cheese onto salads. LIGHTLY dress salads with balsalmic vinegar.

Wine Paring: 2001 Cabernet Sauvignon - Marques de Casa Concha (from Concha y Toro winery in Chile)
I selected this wine based on it's affordability and complimenting pallate to these two dishes. Shelf price was <$16 and Wine Enthusiast rated this guy at 91. It is light on the tannis but rich with flavors of black cherry and plum with tones of coffee and vanilla on the finish. GOOD STUFF!! :)

Total Bill: Right around $40 for two people with a fantastic bottle of wine. This meal would cost 3x that in a nice restaurant. Enjoy!

Mar 22, 2002
Originally posted by: fonzinator

Portabello Mushroom salad with Stilton Blue Cheese and tomatoes in Basil Vinegrette
My creation, although it's nothing new under the sun. :)

Mix together in a medium/large bowl (you will be tossing this so use a big enough bowl! :) ):
Caveat: Amounts specified are very generalized. Put on your thinking cap and adjust amounts relative to amount of mushrooms you have.

2 Tbsp Dried Basil to start (use more if you use fresh basil) - Crush basil (intensifies flavor) with the back of a spoon or use mortar and pestil if you have one.
Add 4-5 Tbsps of Extra Virgin Olive Oil to start.
Salt to taste - start with very little since you can't take it out once you put it in!
Freshly ground pepper to taste

Add a small quantity of sliced Portabello Mushrooms to bowl and toss until lightly coated. Continue adding mushrooms and toss until lightly coated. Add more olive oil as needed. *Note: You don't want the mushrooms sopping wet with the oil mixture!*

Add mushrooms on to a bed of Romaine lettuce or spinach. Add sliced tomatoes. Crumble about 0.2 oz. of Stilton Blue Cheese onto salads. LIGHTLY dress salads with balsalmic vinegar.

Make that all the time - it's pretty good.