Two 101st AB US Black Hawk Helicopters Down in Northern Iraq; at least 17 dead, RPG Attack Suspected

Miramonti

Lifer
Aug 26, 2000
I heard they may have collided.

One witness reported seeing two helicopters in trouble. ?I was watching TV when I heard a large explosion,? said local man Mohammad Badran. ?I looked outside the window and saw two helicopters. ?One was flying low and was on fire. The other was higher up. The first one climbed and hit the higher one. They crashed in separate areas,? he said.
msnbc

tnitsuj

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003
BTW: Mosul has been a stunning success story. The 101st airborne established excellent ralationships with the locals and it has been one of the most prosperous, secure areas in occupied Iraq. General Petraeus has done a terrific job, although the security situation has been getting more difficult in recent weeks.

Hopefully, he wasn't on one of those helicopters.

Aimster

Lifer
Jan 5, 2003
The attacks are increasing. 400 dead now since the start of combat and thousands wounded. It hasn't been a year yet. If it continues to increase with the rate it has this month we will most likely see close to 1,000 dead at the 1-year peak.
:(

MrYogi

Platinum Member
Mar 15, 2003
Originally posted by: Aimster
The attacks are increasing. 400 dead now since the start of combat and thousands wounded. It hasn't been a year yet. If it continues to increase with the rate it has this month we will most likely see close to 1,000 dead at the 1-year peak.

I hope you are worried about the 55,000 iraqis dead too.

Aimster

Lifer
Jan 5, 2003
Originally posted by: MrYogi

I just stated the 1,000 dead because I was thinking of Bush's re-election. Yes, I am upset about the 55,000 dead iraqis. I never supported this war and I do not agree with what is happening there. I know plenty of innocent Iraqi civilians die daily (not stopping for a roadblock, failure to understand the Americans, wrong place at the wrong time, soldiers firing at terrorist spraying the area with bullets , bombs dropping on them..etc). The situation in Iraq will never look good, at least not for a couple more years. These 55,000 people have families that are pissed off and want their revenge.

LilBlinbBlahIce

Golden Member
Dec 31, 2001
Once again, more blood on the hands of Bush and his gang of rabid warmongerers (Wolfowitz, Rumsfeld, Fife, Perle et al). Pointless waste of human life on both sides. Sad.

VioletAura

Banned
Aug 28, 2003
Military officials believe one helicopter may have climbed to avoid gunfire and collided with a second Black Hawk, causing them both to crash.
If this is the case, then this cloud may have a silver lining for the US... they can follow the sounds of hysterical laughter to the insurgents who fired on the helicopter.

Take a hike Troll

tnitsuj

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003
Originally posted by: VioletAura
Military officials believe one helicopter may have climbed to avoid gunfire and collided with a second Black Hawk, causing them both to crash.
If this is the case, then this cloud may have a silver lining for the US... they can follow the sounds of hysterical laughter to the insurgents who fired on the helicopter.
I know you aren't on our side and that is valid. But you could just try and be somewhat civil in a forum dominated by Americans.

Pepsei

Lifer
Dec 14, 2001
I was just reading about how we're still occupying Korea since the Korean war.

We'll probably in Iraq for a long time. if there are no protesters.

tnitsuj

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003
Originally posted by: Pepsei
I was just reading about how we're still occupying Korea since the Korean war.

We'll probably in Iraq for a long time. if there are no protesters.
We are not by any measn "occupying Korea". We have almost 37k troops there as a deterent to NK attacking. South Korea is a soveriegn independant nation.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
"Seventeen soldiers died when guerrillas downed two U.S. helicopters in Iraq."

Whew... am I glad the war was over months ago.

edit: that statement was not meant to be in any derogatory of our valiant Armed Forces, but of our President and his military advisors/leaders who can't seem to get their sh!t together.

And VioletAura, I hope whatever country you live in is next on our list... and that we aren't so gentle there as we are in Iraq.

daniel1113

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2003
Originally posted by: Vic

edit: that statement was not meant to be in any derogatory of our valiant Armed Forces, but of our President and his military advisors/leaders who can't seem to get their sh!t together.

And VioletAura, I hope whatever country you live in is next on our list... and that we aren't so gentle there as we are in Iraq.
"Major combat operations in Iraq have ended."

Where did you read that the war ended?

Martin

Lifer
Jan 15, 2000
Don't listen to the liberal media. Everything is peachy, soldiers are busy painting schools and helping kids cross the streets safely.

Insane3D

Elite Member
May 24, 2000
Originally posted by: MartyTheManiak
Don't listen to the liberal media. Everything is peachy, soldiers are busy painting schools and helping kids cross the streets safely.
Yep. The damn liberal media is trying to ruin this country with their negative coverage of the Iraq situation. They are all evil and need to be rounded up, shot, and replaced with proper conservative approved media.

PainTrain

Jun 22, 2003
Originally posted by: Vic

What violet said definately made me bristle, those are American's who are fulfilling their oath to protect our nation. Unfortunately, no one is protecting them from those who would complacently toss these soldiers lives away in the pursuit of some political goal.

Here's an idea, before we allow our government to do this again (preemptive, non-defensive, ideological, unpopular warfare) why not create a new branch of the military created specifically for those who wish to die for the democratizaiton of our world. That way soldiers can know what they're signing their lives away for. And btw, it would be mandatory for all political office holders to spend a tour in this branch before thay can be elected to office. Now wouldn't that be nice?

Mrburns2007

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2001

Why can they vote in November ?

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002

don't use the inflated numbers from a highly questionable unaccountable source. which had the absurd range of 20-55k. and for all you know they included all the militants and soldiers in their numbers:p

ASK THE COMMUNITY