Twitter ,Tiago Sousa (ID software) : gpu occupancy graph, +80% compute

May 11, 2008
Twitter link :
https://twitter.com/idSoftwareTiago/status/913947204146073601/photo/1

Checking our latest gpu occupancy graph, +80% of it is compute ( async and such ). Feels good

DK795pKUQAABgUK.jpg:large

I found this on beyond3d .com
https://forum.beyond3d.com/threads/doom-2016-graphics-study.59627/
Interesting times are coming for vega...

Reactions: Carfax83

Carfax83

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2010
This game is going to be awesome. I already pre-ordered it! :cool:

One thing though, is if Nvidia outperforms AMD in this game, it will be a devastating blow to the putative assumption that AMD is stronger in compute than NVidia, and that NVidia will choke on games where a large percentage of the occupancy is compute.

That said, it seems that ID Tech is firmly on AMD's side these days, a total 180 compared to the John Carmack days when they favored NVidia moreso.

May 11, 2008

One thing though, is if Nvidia outperforms AMD in this game, it will be a devastating blow to the putative assumption that AMD is stronger in compute than NVidia, and that NVidia will choke on games where a large percentage of the occupancy is compute.

That said, it seems that ID Tech is firmly on AMD's side these days, a total 180 compared to the John Carmack days when they favored NVidia moreso.

Be wary of drivers that might give higher fps on release of the game but produce significant stutter and cause annoyance for the gamer. I had to think of prey.
Is the stutter solved by now with current drivers for the game prey ?

http://www.pcgamer.com/nvidia-hotfix-driver-fixes-prey-stuttering/

Carfax83

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2010
Be wary of drivers that might give higher fps on release of the game but produce significant stutter and cause annoyance for the gamer. I had to think of prey.

Doom Vulkan stuttered for the first month or two on NVidia hardware as well, until they worked the drivers out. I expect Wolfenstein 2 to perform well on NVidia and AMD at launch, due to the Vulkan drivers being more mature now; especially for NVidia. Supposedly the game uses DX12 as well, so it will be great to compare the two APIs in an actual game, and not some benchmark.

Is the stutter solved by now with current drivers for the game prey ?

http://www.pcgamer.com/nvidia-hotfix-driver-fixes-prey-stuttering/

I don't know. I'm pretty sure it has been, as the game has been out for a while.

Reactions: gradoman

Despoiler

Golden Member
Nov 10, 2007
I think it will run great on GPUs from both sides. id software are pros and they still want to sell units. AMD is wider than Nvidia as far as compute resources, but it's not like Nvidia can't do compute. However, their compute functionality is most exposed using CUDA, which isn't compatible with graphics APIs. We will see how good they've been with getting extensions added to Vulkan. I'm sure they are on top of it. Nvidia is definitely going to be more driver dependent than AMD. One definite advantage for AMD is they can make a more lightweight driver for games using next gen APIs because they've moved more functions into hardware.

Either way I'm interested in that game and I'd still probably buy it even if I wasn't. I support devs pushing the tech envelope like this.

raghu78

Diamond Member
Aug 23, 2012

ID was in the Nvidia camp because they had the best OpenGL performance. Nvidia were vastly better running id software's games which used the OpenGL API. With Vulkan AMD has now pulled up on even in performance and driver support and are aggressively promoting the API as it allows their GPUs to perform to the best. id has philosophically been in support of open APIs and its no surprise to see them embrace Vulkan in a way like no other game dev studio.

Madpacket

Platinum Member
Nov 15, 2005
In anticipation of Wolfenstein 2, I finally got around to playing Wolfenstein the New Order. It's a great game so far (about half way through) so looking forward to this new game. And I got it for free as it came with my Vega card! /s

Carfax83

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2010
ID was in the Nvidia camp because they had the best OpenGL performance. Nvidia were vastly better running id software's games which used the OpenGL API. With Vulkan AMD has now pulled up on even in performance and driver support and are aggressively promoting the API as it allows their GPUs to perform to the best. id has philosophically been in support of open APIs and its no surprise to see them embrace Vulkan in a way like no other game dev studio.

I really have to commend Id Tech and Bethesda on their rapid embracement of low level APIs. This really puts them back at the forefront of game technology like they were in the old days. Other than a few Microsoft first party studios, I don't think any developer other than Id Tech is currently shipping (or even thinking about doing it) their games with full support for a low level APIs from day one, and no high level API fallback. This is actually a really good solution, because using Vulkan as a primary allows them to target Windows 7 and 8.1 users, and the option to use DX12 for Windows 10 users.

Can't wait to play the game! :D