Twitter mob goes after girl for cultural appropriation over prom dress

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
That young man did very well for himself

DbZ-FvoUwAAFYiV.jpg

https://nextshark.com/non-asian-wom...assive-cultural-appropriation-debate-twitter/

Here’s her Twitter: https://mobile.twitter.com/daumkeziah/status/988115815068139520

Asian cultures are NOT an aesthetic you can just don for an evening. Your intentions are irrelevant, your poor judgment is cultural appropriation and contributes to the fetishization of Asian women and commercialization of our culture for white gain. Check your privilege.
12:42 PM · Apr 29, 2018

My culture is NOT your goddamn prom dress.

People will find anything to become "offended" about. I highly doubt the sincerity of those offended either sadly, it seems mostly about wanting to be part of some sort of social movement (real or imaginary).

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
So is cultural appropriation something one should be offended over? It seems to keep creeping back up as an issue, is it a legitimate one in yalls opinion?

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
That seems to be trying to sweet it under the rug. I take it you don’t think cultural appropriation is something one should get upset about either?

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Personal opinion. No problem with choice of outfit. I don't care what Twitter has to say about it. The internet allows people to sit back and be armchair warriors about all sorts of nonsense. If they actually physically go harrass her, then it's on them when the legal system gets involved. In short, ignore the Twitter trolls, except the one who idiot Americans voted into office.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
So is cultural appropriation something one should be offended over? It seems to keep creeping back up as an issue, is it a legitimate one in yalls opinion?
I wouldn't put the girl wearing this dress in the same category as Led Zeppelin stealing music from black blues artists.

No outrage found.

Reactions: dank69

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
That seems to be trying to sweet it under the rug. I take it you don’t think cultural appropriation is something one should get upset about either?
As with everything, handle the outrage one at a time, and context matters.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
I don't know what I think about it. Some cases seem obvious and extreme, some seem very marginal. And as east-asian people are not a very visible or active minority in the UK I find it even harder to know how to interpret arguments related to that group in the US, because I am not familiar with what their experience is.

But it does seem obvious that if you've experienced lots of alienating racism it might then stick in your craw if people who appear to be indistinguishable (in terms of race and class and the rest) from those who were racist towards you then start using bits of your culture - while continuing to not appear to have much respect for you as people.

I mean, I've never encountered any (south) asians here being upset at the huge popularity of south-asian cuisine among white people, for example. But white people adopting dreadlocks isn't always received well by Afro-Carribbean people. Clearly there are all sorts of subtleties about how people experience and react to this stuff, and even members of the upset group aren't always going to agree.

We're all trapped by history, unfortunately.

Reactions: JimKiler

interchange

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
I think this story is emblematic of the problems of our youth. Not because of any moral judgment I have on this cultural appropriation thing and whether wearing the dress was right or wrong. But because the assumption is that there is such an absolute right or wrong, and being on the side of right grants license to dehumanize. Social media makes that a whole lot easier.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

I think we should be exactly as upset about it as we are about random idiots saying things on Twitter. How upset that makes you is up to you.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
As with everything, handle the outrage one at a time, and context matters.
I don't think the OP understands context and nuance. There is a reason Eminem and the Beasty Boyz are respected in the rap community and Vanilla Ice isn't.

Reactions: pmv

TheELF

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2012
/s
Yup totally,jeans should only be worn by jewish american Immigrants since they invented them,oh but only the ones that will do hard physical labor,like sailors and such.
Everyone else is just stealing 'muricas culture,sorry "culture" .
/s

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
The people confronting her are as dumb as Flat Earthers. I can't even fathom the logic behind the criticism. Who is being harmed here? It seems to me that such an "appropriation" actually legitimizes and celebrates the culture from which it comes from.

Reactions: amenx and JimKiler