Twitter labeled Trump tweets with a fact check for the first time..

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Triloby

Mar 18, 2016
And now Snowflake Cheeto passes an Executive Order targeting Twitter and other social media platforms:

https://www.npr.org/2020/05/28/863932758/stung-by-twitter-trump-signs-executive-order-to-weaken-social-media-companies?

So more than 100,000 people are dead from the virus with 40 million or more people unemployed, and he cares very little about that stuff. But Twitter decides to fact check one of his garbage tweets, and he gets so unbelievably triggered that he's screaming at the hills to limit speech on social media.

Considering how poorly thought-out his EO is, I'll be amazed if Twitter uses it as an excuse to start deleting Trump's tweets to cover their asses legally. It could actually make social media usable again, but I'm not gonna hold my breath for that happening anytime soon.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
No. Twitter saw the need to defend our electoral process against scurrilous attack by our own fucking President & did so.

That's what the Press is for, that's what other Twitter Users are for. The Platform Provider should not be weighing in.

Reactions: shortylickens

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
That's what the Press is for, that's what other Twitter Users are for. The Platform Provider should not be weighing in.

A platform shouldn't take interest in whether its users are peddling obvious falsehoods, especially if their reach is large? I'd argue that that gives them all the more interest in ensuring users are not abusing the platform.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
A platform shouldn't take interest in whether its users are peddling obvious falsehoods, especially if their reach is large? I'd argue that that gives them all the more interest in ensuring users are not abusing the platform.

It opens up the possibility for they themselves to become the Abusers. Like I said, there are already People and organizations pointing out the Facts and/or other Opinions.

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
It opens up the possibility for they themselves to become the Abusers. Like I said, there are already People and organizations pointing out the Facts and/or other Opinions.
Exactly, and all Twitter did was to lead people to those facts. Trump can always start his own social-media Co if he wants and remain fact-check-free, not a tear will be shed. Want to know a few places where fact-checking is frowned upon?, Russia, China.

Reactions: Muse and DarthKyrie

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
That's a broad brush, I don't think we've ever had a politician that is even close to the level of Trump on the batshit-liar-o-meter.

Don't think? Trumps the Jodan, Kobe, LeBron, Manning, Brady & Jeter all rolled into 1 of crazy batshit lie tweets. He will never be out done. HIs Tweeter record will stand forever. He's probably said more bullshit lies on Twitter than the next 200 politicians combined. Which is insane as politicians are known for lying. When your professional is known for lying, and Trump still manages makes the rest of the politicians look like honest, good citizens. That's really saying something

Reactions: Muse and DarthKyrie

amenx

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 2004
Even Fox news is appalled at Trumps dick moves vs Twitter. Plain and simple, you cannot have a major world influencer spewing out huge factual inaccuracies and outright lies that have the potential to create upheavals in local and world events, especially with a massive brainless following who actually believe his shit.

UberNeuman

Lifer
Nov 4, 1999
Even Fox news is appalled at Trumps dick moves vs Twitter. Plain and simple, you cannot have a major world influencer spewing out huge factual inaccuracies and outright lies that have the potential to create upheavals in local and world events, especially with a massive brainless following who actually believe his shit.

And in the next breath are back to supporting it and have been a partner in crime all along.

interchange

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
The government will decide what you can and cannot say on the internet. It's the only way to protect your free speech!

outriding

Diamond Member
Feb 20, 2002

Fox "News" is only concern is this may shut them down.

Feb 4, 2009

Why would twitter suppress that video if I just watched that video on the twitter link?
”facebook or twitter supressing/banning” is the new social media term to get you to watch.

sort of like early days of email viruses typically arrived by an email say get rich, meet girls, free nudes then some link marked IMPORTANT!
This is just basic social engineering stuff.

BTW yeah Leningrad Lindsay sucks balls

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
Like I said, they having that power can be abused and likely will be. Just be cautious about it.

The thing is that is free speech, and it is what it has always been. They did not censor him, they used their own free speech to counter his. It is the same power ever private platform has always had, to answer one speech with another. Do you think Twitter is any more powerful than Joseph Pulitzer or William Randolph Hearst had in the late 1800's? The power you talk of being abused is what it means to have freedom of speech. You can't limit Twitters freedom to control it's platform's speech without limiting everyone's.

Reactions: DarthKyrie and Vic

eelw

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 1999
WTF??? Zuckerberg condemns Twitter for warning label but FB has them on Lincoln Project videos. Idiot. Hypocrite. Would say boycott FB. Well at the minimum Adblock ads on FB.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001

That doesn't work because you're suggesting that people that would take the post at face value would actually trust a news outlet that is critical of the messenger. A common theme from the President has been that news outlets that are publishing these critical remarks are biased and untrustworthy. So, why would a supporter of President Trump read one of Trump's tweets and go check CNN to ensure it's accurate?

EDIT:

To add, it would be great if we didn't need markings like this on sites such as Twitter and Facebook, but it seems that it's too common for folks to take these statements at face value.

Last edited:

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010
Lol
Trump adviser Dan Scavino was even more blunt in his description of the social media giant’s conduct, comparing to the lack of action being taken by those fomenting unrest in Minneapolis.

“Twitter is targeting the President of the United States 24/7, while turning their heads to protest organizers who are planning, plotting, and communicating their next moves daily on this very platform,” he tweeted.

Twitter is full of s**t - more and more people are beginning to get it.

interchange

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
The thing is that is free speech, and it is what it has always been. They did not censor him, they used their own free speech to counter his. It is the same power ever private platform has always had, to answer one speech with another. Do you think Twitter is any more powerful than Joseph Pulitzer or William Randolph Hearst had in the late 1800's? The power you talk of being abused is what it means to have freedom of speech. You can't limit Twitters freedom to control it's platform's speech without limiting everyone's.

How dare you censor me by expressing political bias! It is my political OPINION that Scarborough is a murderer and vote by mail will create mass fraud allowing the Democrats to STEAL the election!

Holding YOU liable for MY hate speech is the only way to PROTECT MY FREEDOM OF SPEECH!