Twin Tips Skiis...what the difference?

AMCRambler

Diamond Member
Jan 23, 2001
I'm thinking about buying a new pair of skiis. This is my first new pair. All my previous ones have been handmedowns or purchased at a ski swap. Its been about 5 or 6 years since I got my last pair, and they've lasted me a while, but last season the binding broke on one of them and finding a replacement part for the Tyrolia that's as old as these are isn't possible. I could get a new set of bindings, but the skiis are pretty worn, so I may as well treat myself and get a new pair.
I'll be going cheap, whatever is on sale. I was looking around and I see they have twin tip skiis now, which I guess means both ends are turned up. Is this just for doing tricks and that sort of thing? Going backwards down the hill? I can't see any other advantage to them really.
The other question I have is sizing. never really paid too much attention to the length on the skiis in the past. I have heard that the taller you are, the longer the ski you should use. I'm 6' 2", suggestions? Thanks.

axia55

Platinum Member
May 22, 2001
Most TT skis have a more balanced binding (IE it is more in the middle of the ski rather than towards the back). For your size you should be looking for about a 174-178cm. I have 168cm and I am 5'9".

AMCRambler

Diamond Member
Jan 23, 2001
Gotcha. Looks like twin tips are a bit more expensive, so I'll probably just go with the regular downhill skiis. The new single tip skiis I've noticed have rounded rear tips, which I'm guessing helps with cornering. I don't need anything super slick. Just something to get me down the mountain and will pop off when a eat a mogul, lol. Thanks!

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
Never seen them but I can ski backwards just fine on standard skis.

illusion88

Lifer
Oct 2, 2001
Your height is related to the size of your skies, but more important is your skill level. I ski on 171 and I am 5'6, they are as tall as me when I am standing in my ski boots. I don't recomend getting large skies if you aren't really good. Shorter skies are easier to control and more forgiving.

You sound like someone who goes up less then 10 times a year. I bet you ski the whole mountain, but stay out of the park correct? The advantage to twin tips is in the park. That's it. That beign said, don't worry if it has twin tips or not. Think more aobut what you are buying the ski for. Where and what do you ski? Bumps, Groomers, off piest, powder, crud, ice... etc. The best all around ski I have ever skied on is the K2 Public Enemy (I can find them for $230 w/o bindings in Utah). It's not great at anything (well you could say it's great at the bumps), but it does everything very well.

I am not sure how great they will be on the east coast, because they are a bit soft for ice/hard snow. But then again, I don't really know what it's like over there as I have never skied on the east coast. I would pick up Ski Magazines gear guide for 2006/7 and go from there.

sohcrates

Diamond Member
Sep 19, 2000
I got some last year Rossi Scratch Sprayers for $230 w/out bindings this year. Twin Tip, 88mm underfoot in the center. Work great in powder but also hold pretty well East coast stuff.

I'm 6'4" and ride about a 180 length.

These are my second pair of twin tips, i really like the all around feel versus more traditional shaped skis, but it's just personal preference i guess