Twilight of the GPU

Tempered81

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2007
interesting looks like the future will be dx-less, opengl-less, Ray tracing, Cuda, Havock, X86 gpus, etc...

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
i see a great future for the GPU; sweeny is talking about writing programming in another new language - bypassing microsoft, i guess
- he thinks you could do it in CUDA on a Tesla now

intel is just trying to get in on it with their Larrabeast.

rose.gif

the more the merrier

we are going to see huge leaps in graphics and 3D not so long from now

shangshang

May 17, 2008
I see that gaming is heading towards the console world, and then ported back to the PC. That's what I see. Why? Because throughout the whole article, the emphasis that TS seems to be making is how to be able to produce games at the cheapest price for the largest common denominator, and he appears to think it'll be console. There was one single instance while TS linked gaming to the PC. I'm actually all for this, as this will perhaps make upgrading to a new $200-$300 card every 6-12 months on the PC obsolete!

Lonyo

Lifer
Aug 10, 2002
Originally posted by: shangshang
I see that gaming is heading towards the console world, and then ported back to the PC. That's what I see. Why? Because throughout the whole article, the emphasis that TS seems to be making is how to be able to produce games at the cheapest price for the largest common denominator, and he appears to think it'll be console. There was one single instance while TS linked gaming to the PC. I'm actually all for this, as this will perhaps make upgrading to a new $200-$300 card every 6-12 months on the PC obsolete!

When discussing the future there is one reason to focus on consoles. They are easier to make a huge change on, because they are standardised.

Nemesis 1

Lifer
Dec 30, 2006
I think the point everyone is trying to make is this. If you render in software porting from Consol to PC is nothing. Hugh hardware upgrades are gone. Once we can do things in real time I am done buying . I can't improve on real time and its so close . Once its here everthing changes. Except for what the platform looks like. Both NV and ATIs present cards have enough power right now if it was software render. As it is to many wasted transitors in differant game enginesbecause of wasted logic hardware. No software render is efficiency. No wasted costly transistors.

minmaster

Platinum Member
Oct 22, 2006
huh but software rendering on Q3A and UT looked so bad compared to the openGL. why should it eventually replace those APIs?

Nemesis 1

Lifer
Dec 30, 2006
APis as we know them are dieing. Software render has the same IQ as hardware. IQ will improve with software render alot. With fewer wasted transitors which= cost.

Once your doing everthing in software you really have no use for restrictive APIs'

Apple computers will play games as = to pc's. It opens up many oppertunities for many companies and people. Read the link.