Tweakboys Windows 8 desktop. soo sexy!

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by tweakboy, Nov 12, 2012.

1. tweakboy

tweakboy Diamond Member

love this OS . sick so clean interface such a nice skin,,,,, and soo much enhanchments ,, soo much better and nicer looking then 7. Metro is cool on my other screen running same time ...... as explorer , with free app 8mb adds start menu and different options like how many apps or frequent, etc,, its all differeent,, now Chrome and Firefox have new options ,,, you can launch chrome in windows 8 mode lol it opens it up full screen metro interface.

Best OS once people relax and get beyond metro.

Microsoft worked their tails off on the interface and everything is different and new and soo many ways to get things done,,, amazing......

DEFRAG built into OS recognizes SSD , and has optimization for it. for those who dont want to use sammys or for those who dont have a app for their ssd... very good ,,,,, I feel things are faster after it optimized the ssd,, just kidding,,,, LOLOL

[​IMG]

I didn't resize I want yall to see the exact resolution. how crisp Win 8 is wow.

:whiste:

#1 tweakboy, Nov 12, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2012
  2. postmortemIA

postmortemIA Diamond Member

if it is so good as is, then get rid of the classic start that you installed...

3. bbhaag

bbhaag Platinum Member

They can't. It has been an institution since Win95. We grew up with it, learned it, can't live with out it....
    That is why they hate Win8 because it is unfamiliar.

#3 bbhaag, Nov 13, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2012
  4. Dulanic

Dulanic Diamond Member

Actually I got used to no start almost right away... still hated it. The monochrome look and forced fullscreen apps is what did it in for me. I multitask, I don't need or want all my apps to be full screen. This is especially important in the business world where I think windows 8 is going to fall on it's face.

5. blurredvision

Such a tired argument. You post as if there's no such thing as a regular desktop in W8. That's fine if you don't like W8, but don't gloss over the fact that there's a completely different side of W8 that I'm guessing most of us spend 95%+ of our time in.

6. Dulanic

Dulanic Diamond Member

Which part of my argument even talked about the desktop? Oh wait that's right...none of it. Your must have copied and pasted your argument? Anyways... off topic. Sorry tweakboy. It looks nice, but why add the start button?

#6 Dulanic, Nov 13, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2012
  7. KeypoX

KeypoX Diamond Member

YOU may have grew up with it, and can't live without it. I did not and have spent a lot of time outside of windows.

The reason, reasonable people I should say, don't want it is because its so inefficient. Full screen apps is such a bad step backwards, on top of multistep processes to do such simple tasks.

I use Win8 its great with start8, sucks not to have gadgets but there is a hack for that...

8. pmv

pmv Golden Member

That's a very patronising thing to say, I must say.

Maybe those who dislike Win8 do so becuase in one small but crucial way it is inferior to its predecessors for desktop users? Namely, in having a flat, non-nested, multi-screen list of applications instead of a nested, cascading menu. The latter is simply a much better way to organise shortcuts on a desktop. Its not 'unfamiliar' its just less good.

I mean, some of us have used computers for decades before GUIs became commonplace (windows 95 itself being rather a late-comer), so 'unfamiliarity' is hardly the issue. A remember when a mouse was 'unfamiliar', but I didn't hate it. (Hell, I remember programming using punched cards and was very happy to move on from that)

The start screen seems more "retro" than unfamiliar, its reminiscent of windows 3.1

9. Unheard

Unheard Diamond Member

You realize you can pull the app to the side and not have it take up the full screen right?

10. Pr0d1gy

Pr0d1gy Diamond Member

I just built a new PC with Windows 8 last night and I have to say that while I am still figuring out some changes made I really do not see why everyone is so hardcore against this OS. It looks great, flows well when you figure it out, and it seems to move very fast from what I have seen of it and I don't have a top end system. Count me as a satisfied customer. Now I just need to find a really solid tutorial on Win8 and figure out how to do all the stuff I used to do in my sleep...lol

11. hhhd1

hhhd1 Senior member

Agreed.

12. cboath

cboath Senior member

You also realize that ALL the win 7 apps are still there, right? The only thing missing, i think, is sidebar (gadgets). You're not forced to use the app versions of anything. Use the file explorer, find a file, right click and choose a new default app to launch it with. Don't like the music and video apps? Media Player is still there. Don't like the gallery app? The previous choices of image viewers are still there. IE? You've got the old version and the tablet version.

Don't like the apps? Just don't use them. It's not rocket science and you're not forced to use the apps. It takes a few seconds to swap around the associations and less time to remove the tiles from the start screen.

I'd agree that desktop versions with cascading, minimizing, user resizing, etc, are vastly superior to the app versions. But none of that is gone.
    The start screen doesn't replace icons on the desktop, it replaces the all programs list from the old start menu. The start screen is easier to work with than the all programs list frankly.

13. pmv

pmv Golden Member

The Apps aren't the issue - as you say, one can just ignore them. The only issue - and its a single detail but an annoyingly central one - is the start menu. A start menu with, as I said, nested cascading menus, is an easier way to access programs than the flat, non-cascading, tile-based start screen. The third-party fixes for that may be sufficient to make win8 tolerable, however. It still seems a bit of a shame that so much of MS's effort has gone into an interface that is irrelevant to desktop users.

14. Dannar26

Dannar26 Senior member

+ 1

15. cboath

cboath Senior member

I guess it's a case of 'to each his own' as I prefer the organization of the start screen. I can zoom out to see it all at once, and slide it back and forth and still see the contents of all folders, so to speak. In the old method you'd have to go down 2-3 levels, back, down 2 more levels, back, etc, when search for something.

I'm sure you know you can make your own columns on the start screen and title them. I'm also sure that once Win8 versions of software are released, developers will create and organizer their own columns as well. This, too, makes it easier to get around. As it is now, install 4-5 different programs and you'll simply get 50 icons dumped into the start screen with little to no organization, and that isn't good. I'd have thought in their conversion they'd figure a way to respect the folders created in the old menu by making them columns in the new one. That's not happening - at least that I saw. Then again, i've mainly installed packages from one vendor so far, so that could also have something to do with it.

I can see what some people could prefer the old way, but at the same time, for those who hate the new way, I have to honestly wonder how much of a chance they gave it. I tried the CP version in the late spring and didn't like the start screen much at all or the start button less task bar. I dove back in in August with the RTM and haven't really had any issues. One thing I think would have been better, though, and fit in with win8, is to have put an 'all programs' in the charms bar that functioned similarly to the win7 version, just not with cascading menu's that literally sat on top one another, but simply moved up and down to stay in the bar. That seems a much more metro-ish way of dealing with it in the desktop to me.

16. dawks

dawks Diamond Member

"sooo sexy!" errm nope. It looks like a dumbed down VGA version of Windows XP.

I'm good with Windows 7, or even better, OS/X.

17. zokudu

zokudu Diamond Member

Wait you're telling me you actually click within the start menu on Windows 7? I haven't clicked on a non-pinned item in the start menu since vista. Windows Key and start typing is easier and faster than digging through nested folders. I also genuinely like how the start screen acts. I have all my programs sorted in separate columns on there. One for Office, one for games, one for misc internet apps such as ftp and putty. Ctrl + Scroll wheel to zoom in or out if you really like icons and searching for what you need or you could just sort them in a non obtuse way.

18. corkyg

corkyg Elite Member<br>Super Moderator <br>Peripherals
    Super Moderator

Win 8 has some good things, but, unfortunately, it is designed more for Internet entertainment than for actual work. I have my Win 7 organized exactly as I want it - all apps are one click direct - no intermediate layers to wade through.

So, after playing with Win8, I opted to spend $5 and get Start8 as a boot to desktop. Works great - this provides Win8 added security and speed with Win 7's operational convenience. I tried all of Win 8's "Metro" tiles, and none of them took me anywhere useful. They are an added layer designed for swiping and wiping - not my thing.

So, I have found that the Start8 desktop in Win 8 is the best of both worlds. One click access to all the things I use - no intermediate layers. This is the result - note, I customize all my desktop icons, and restrict labels to one line - I like uniformity and balance. The apps are all alphabetical after the system ones.

[​IMG]

19. Tom

Tom Lifer

as to style..the new look of W8 Metro strikes me as a style with no staying power. It looks modern and fresh right now, but in the long run its like platform shoes or parachute pants.

Windows 7 isn't flashy, but with Aero it looks pretty nice. And its a style that's very functional, it won't ever look terribly dated.

And why do away with the Sidebar ? Can I get a weather app on W8 desktop ?(not metro)

#19 Tom, Nov 14, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2012
  20. destrekor

destrekor Lifer

Desktop gadgets were something they were doing away with due to security flaws. The way they had them coded into the system, they discovered the potential for some devious activities without any sign.

I cannot remember, but I think they were talking about doing away with them even on older versions of Windows (Vista, 7) through a security release.
    They may not have figured out how to bake them into the OS in a different fashion, so they didn't include them.
    It's possible that if they do figure out a permanent solution (as opposed to the quick-fix of removing them entirely), they'll push it out for Win8 in a Service Pack or something. But they might have decided it's just something that's not needed anymore (especially with them pushing live tiles).

I admit, I kind of like the idea - want an update on something you'd have in a gadget? Press the Windows key, see the info you want in a tile, move on. It'll help when there are better apps with quality live tiles.

Though, are Large Tiles limited to two horizontal square spaces? Or is that just what apps have stuck to so far?

21. dmoney1980

dmoney1980 Platinum Member

why do you have "windows 8 pro start 8" splattered in the middle of your desktop?

22. happysmiles

happysmiles Senior member

I agree with everyone.

23. corkyg

corkyg Elite Member<br>Super Moderator <br>Peripherals
    Super Moderator

I have three OS's in that machine . . . XP Pro/SP3, Win 7 Ultimate, and now Win 8 Pro. The desktops are almost identical - that's how I know which one I am using. I didn't think it was splattered - but neatly placed top center. That's where I want it - you don't have to do it. :)

Shortest answer is, because I like it that way! LOL

24. BonzaiDuck

BonzaiDuck Lifer

Hmm. Interesting. See -- these days, I don't make "impulse purchases." More specifically, I try and wait for a service pack release before adopting a new OS version. Yet, years ago, I'd pounce on every new OS release. I'd struggle with the driver availability and bug problems. I actually imagine that premature "adoption" (of an OS version) cost me several weekends-worth of time. And effort.

But the fact that corkyg and tweakboy can customize the desktop to the extent they have -- it's encouraging.

I have a recycled Gigabyte EP45-UD3R and E8400 processor, and I might be able to scrape up a 4GB 2x2 DDR2 kit. If I get an OEM OS license/install, it will be stuck with that old hardware; if I get retail, I can replace the hardware as convenient.

Maybe I'll just buy the basic Windows 8 version. Isn't there a "Pro" version upgrade package for the former?

25. Raduque

Raduque Lifer

No, it's because it's clunky and cumbersome to use with a mouse, verses the touch-screen it was designed for. On the desktop, there should be an option to disable it.