TV's over fireplaces/mounted high

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Feb 25, 2011
Ours is wall mounted, but as low as possible over one of those fake fireplace console things. Just enough room that we can get the lid on the record player open. Plenty of space above it.

Sitting position can vary wildly between homes, depending on the furniture involved, which means optimal TV mount height can vary also.

Most people are reclining at least slightly in the living room, which means that if they have a neutral head/neck position, they're looking slightly upwards, so the further they are from the TV, the higher the TV can/should be.

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
Here is a pic of what a properly height mounted TV looks like. Mine.

img]
Oh man don't mean to be a creeper but is that you on the horse and sipping on a Mai Tai? Your pretty buff dude......for a normal guy anyway not like ATOT buff or anything like that.

Nov 20, 2009
Great, so the TV has to cool itself by sucking in nice hot fireplace heated air. Seems like a smart move.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Oh man don't mean to be a creeper but is that you on the horse and sipping on a Mai Tai? Your pretty buff dude......for a normal guy anyway not like ATOT buff or anything like that.
Look at his username. He's not beast for nothing!

He's no alky but who is? ;)

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
That is not a mai tai its a pitcher of rum punch thank you very much!

That was at Da Conch Shack in Turks and Caicos.

• Love
Reactions: ponyo and bbhaag

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011

Haha my bad it was hard to make out with that bag in the way. I saw beach, puffy clouds, and blue water so just thought mia tia....
Anyway, looks like it was a fun trip with your SO and you got a pretty sweet setup in your living room. Just keep in mind now we know you ain't as buff as the rest of us.7G3zITG.png

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002

Da Conch Shack. Now that brought back some memories! Sat on the beach and ate dinner there one evening. It was fun seeing all the conch shells in the water. Turks and Caicos had the clearest water and gorgeous beaches.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Haha my bad it was hard to make out with that bag in the way. I saw beach, puffy clouds, and blue water so just thought mia tia....
Anyway, looks like it was a fun trip with your SO and you got a pretty sweet setup in your living room. Just keep in mind now we know you ain't as buff as the rest of us.View attachment 34364
Thanks! But that setup is childs play compared to my basement lol.

Da Conch Shack. Now that brought back some memories! Sat on the beach and ate dinner there one evening. It was fun seeing all the conch shells in the water. Turks and Caicos had the clearest water and gorgeous beaches.
Diving there was pretty awesome. You have to take a nice 45 minute boat ride towards West Caicos to hit the shelf dropoff. The water is comparable to Grand Cayman. I'd say GC is maybe a bit clearer if I had to pick.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
That's an April Fool's joke, right? lol

Anyway, pretty obvious that a lot of dingbats that buy this thing are going to torch their TVs because they need their fireplace active while watching TV, and then they will blame Monoprice.

It pulls out far enough that heat isn't an issue.

I can't stand TV's mounted high above the fireplace.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
The simple solution is to remove the fireplace. I pulled mine out and built an entertainment center across the entire wall. Looks trick, works well, not a wire to be seen anywhere.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I find my house is warmer without the fireplace now too. The fireplace just acted as a big heat loss since the brickwork basically extended into the garage and the firewall extends all the way up into the attic. It's a giant hole in the thermal envelope of the house, basically. Even once I fixed all the draft issues with foam it was still cold just because of no insulation. Not sure what the R value of brick is but I don't imagine it's high up there. That whole part of the house is still not great though and cooler than my basement, as original builders never taped the vapour barrier or used acoustic sealant. Big messy job to fix that though.

I had toyed with the idea of putting a wood stove insert in it, but it was just a bad spot anyway so I opted to remove it. Also bought me lot of extra space in the garage because I took out the whole chimney.

If I built a house I would want to design the living room layout to properly be setup for TV watching, but also have room for a wood stove. They are more efficient than fireplaces and wood heat is nice, and practically free to run.

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
Ask and ye shall receive.
Be honest how many boxes of fall decorations does your wife have? It pails in comparison to the amount of Christmas doesn't it? Be honest....:D

Anyway, just messing around man. It looks nice and you did a good job. Your cable management is top notch to.

Last edited:

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
Be honest how many boxes of fall decorations does your wife? It pails in comparison to the amount of Christmas doesn't it? Be honest....:D

Anyway, just messing around man. It looks nice and you did a good job. Your cable management is top notch to.
That isn't even half of her Halloween crap. It's all gone now and the thanks giving stuff is out. Next week she'll dig out the Christmas stuff and do some serious decorating, everything up until Christmas is just warmup.

• Love
Reactions: ch33zw1z and bbhaag

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
Does this really cause neck issues for those who mount their TV's high off the ground? Just wanted to ask after seeing this picture of local house listing...the tv is pretty much at the ceiling...
View attachment 34266
I have a screen mounted above a fireplace because its the only wall that worked given the position of the couch. In the beginning it felt awkward but didn’t cause neck issues.

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
For real, here's mine. The area behind the TV is framed for a gas fireplace (was an option but I didn't want it).

I've been thinking about turning the entire wall into built-ins with an oversized-space for the TV (I'd love to have a projector at some point... probably around 100-110"). I've had the TV stand for 12 years; the TV is a few inches too high, but I like it. The TV is a 61" LED DLP which I've also had for 12 years, and I've had those speakers and receiver for... 15 years. Maybe it's time to upgrade...

1606059079085.png