TV with full keyboard mouse and browser

DesiPower

Lifer
Nov 22, 2008
Is there one? I looked around on internet and couldn't find one. Time to buy new TV and one with full keyboard mouse and browser would be a winner. No other real requirement I have, although would like to stick with Sony or Samsung and preferred size is 55.

Moved from OT to AV
-ViRGE

Last edited by a moderator:

Wyndru

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2009
I have a Samsung that has 2 usb ports, but they don't work with a keyboard/mouse. They are meant for the wireless dongle and to view media on your flash drive.

Supposedly their newer models support this though. But, it's still a Samsung lol. Good luck with that...

Markbnj

Elite Member <br>Moderator Emeritus
Sep 16, 2005
www.markbetz.net
My wife plugged a wireless keyboard into our LG 55". I didn't pay much attention, but I assume she just plugged the wireless receiver into the TVs USB port. I imagine most "smart" TVs now will support keyboard/mouse via USB.

drinkmorejava

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
The new Smart TVs support dongles for wireless keyboard and mouse combos. Some of their TVs also have bluetooth.

Look up the logitech K400 keyboard for a starting point. It's pretty cheap and plasticy, but works well.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Or just buy a Google TV. It's going to get an update to the latest version of Android soon. I don't own one so can't comment on if it's good or not but that means you can get whatever TV you want because I'm sure the built-in browsers in TV's would suck bad.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
A couple third-party options to look at:

Chromebox: http://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome/devices/chromebox.html

Vizio Co-star: http://www.vizio.com/costar/overview

Just remember that if you buy something built into a TV, it's going to become outdated. If you buy a box, you can always just swap the box out and get a newer processor, more features, and more up-to-date software. The Vizio unit is only $99.

I use a Logitech K400 wireless keyboard + trackpad. It's nice & compact, and relatively inexpensive - Amazon has it for $30 right now:

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Wirel.../dp/B005DKZTMG

If you want a separate mouse (I hate trackpads, but the K400 is convenient - but sometimes I want to game or something, so a mouse is easier), the Logitech M515 "Couch Mouse" is hands-down the winner in my book. The bottom basically has a tinted piece of plastic that covers the hole where the LED usually is, so you can use it on an armrest or pants without hiccups. $22 on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Couch.../dp/B004HIN8N2

DesiPower

Lifer
Nov 22, 2008
My wife plugged a wireless keyboard into our LG 55". I didn't pay much attention, but I assume she just plugged the wireless receiver into the TVs USB port. I imagine most "smart" TVs now will support keyboard/mouse via USB.

I assume you mean she plugged it and it works, what's you TV's model?

DesiPower

Lifer
Nov 22, 2008
as many pointed out I want to use RF wireless keyboard, plug the dongle into the TV. I had Logitech Google TV in the past which came with Logitech K400 type keyboard. I do not want stand alone devices, that's basically what I am trying to avoid, I already have redneck HDTV connected to TV.
while Logitech K400 is a nice device, I am currently using Logitech N5902 and absolutely loving it, have 2 of those and that's what I want to connect to my next TV.

One more thing, the browser, do all latest smart TVs have full blown browsers?

Wyndru

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2009
Thanks this is helpful, btw, which brand is non-lol in your view?

I've always been a Samsung man, but I've been buying Panosonics lately, I haven't had any issues with them. 4 out of 5 of my Samsung's have died shortly after the 3 year warranties expired.

Luckily I was part of the capacitor class action lawsuits for 2 of them, but even my newest TV had an overheating issue that eventually ruined the screen. Apparently Samsung knew about that issue, and all they told me was to buy computer fans and mount them to the back of the TV after the screen was replaced. I was exclusively a Samsung TV person in the past, I was done after that.

If you go with Samsung, search for the model in their forums before you buy, just to be sure there aren't pages of issues with it. It's hard to tell with new models though.

Sorry, more info than required haha. I just rant about Samsung whenever I get the chance, hopefully it will save someone some frustration.

DesiPower

Lifer
Nov 22, 2008
I mean that's like every brand right, all of them have problems down the line. I have owned Samsung and I am not a fan, but what are the options? all other brands are even worse. If I could I would blindly pickup Sony but unfortunately their technology is like 2 years behind... all other makes, they all have similar issues like you mentioned above.

Wyndru

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2009
I mean that's like every brand right, all of them have problems down the line. I have owned Samsung and I am not a fan, but what are the options? all other brands are even worse. If I could I would blindly pickup Sony but unfortunately their technology is like 2 years behind... all other makes, they all have similar issues like you mentioned above.

True, basically anything you buy now mysteriously dies after warranty expiration. It's like they are designed to do this.

I still have a tube TV that works great from 1993. It's on in my house practically all day everyday.

The flat screens have been replace numerous times though. Pretty sad.

drinkmorejava

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
Yes, they have a real browser, but you're going to be disappointed. The processors are all underpowered and the browsers are bound to be missing some feature you want. Google/Apple TV will make you happier and be cheaper than getting a "smart" tv with everything built in and will be obsolete in 3 years anyway.

Murloc

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2008
I think you want a computer.
I like my TV bare, these integrated things are usually half-hassed and ultimately less useable than a nearby computer.

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
I have a Samsung Plasma, bought last year, and it works immediately using a wireless Logitech kb/mouse. I played with it a little with the built-in web browser, hulu/Netflix apps/etc, and promply plugged in a HTPC and never used the 'smart' tv apps again.

They're certainly better than nothing, but I don't think they're all that useful. The mouse made it easier, but it was still not as good as a real HTPC. Google TVs from LG are a little more responsive, but still not good enough imho.

Markbnj

Elite Member <br>Moderator Emeritus
Sep 16, 2005
www.markbetz.net
I like my TV bare, these integrated things are usually half-hassed and ultimately less useable than a nearby computer.

For my wife and kids it was, basically, make it easy to search on Netflix and click the movie we want. They don't do any real browsing.

DesiPower

Lifer
Nov 22, 2008

A I mentioned earlier, I do have PC connected to TV but sometimes I wish I did not have to turn on PC for small things...

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007
True, basically anything you buy now mysteriously dies after warranty expiration. It's like they are designed to do this.

I still have a tube TV that works great from 1993. It's on in my house practically all day everyday.

The flat screens have been replace numerous times though. Pretty sad.

Same here. I have a 27" I got in 1996. I set the timer and watch it every night while falling asleep. Convergence is a little off but that is to be expected.