TV Tuner Cards

ibex333

Diamond Member
Mar 26, 2005
Hello.

I am building an HTPC and I have some questions about TV Tuner cards.

First, some details:

I have Cablevision IO service in NYC, and my Cable Box is Scientific Atlanta Explorer 4200HD.

What I want to be able to do:

Record or view any/most channels I'm subscribed to in both analog AND digital.

I did some research and I see many people recommending this tuner. http://www.digitalconnection.c...s/Video/fusion7usb.asp

However I cant see a clear answer anywhere saying whether I will or will not be able to record cable only channels such as Discovery, History, Cartoon Network, etc. (yes I am subscribed to these)

Can anyone confirm that this is indeed possible?

Binky

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Look at the HDhomerun. If you check their website, they do have a list of channels for each area that are unencrypted QAM.

Missingremote has decent reviews of various TV tuners.

YMMV on the digital channels available to you. Don't get your hopes uo too high.

heyheybooboo

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2007
You will be able to record the analog versions of the channels only. You will be able to record unencrypted QAM digital channels.

An OEM cablecard computer may allow you to record cable HD digital if your provider offers the service and doesn't go encryption-crazy.

deadken

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2004
FWIW: I live on Long Island NY and have Cablevision also. I recently bought my daughter a Hauppauge HVR-1600 and split the cable into both analog and digital tuners (I wasn't having too much luck with the antenna I bought and the Hauppauge tech suggested I split the cable into both). I get all the local channels in HD, but no others that I get in my cable package (no Discovery, National Geographic, etc...). Since I only wanted my Daughter to be able to watch American Idol in HD on her PC (ch. 5), the card did what I expected. I wish it would get the 'other' digital channels, but it doesn't.

-Good luck, Ken

BTW: My daughter takes screenshots of AI while she watches it and posts them to the AI forums during the commercial breaks. She DOESN'T even watch AI in HD since whenever she takes a screenshot the show stutters for 1-2 seconds. What a waste of time and effort.:brokenheart:

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
When people talk of capturing off cable or satellite I usually recommend just using Svideo with L+R audio. Its simpler and allows you to capture any channel the box can display.

Its what I do with dish network and the 722 box.
It has a dual output for 2 tv. The second tv output I have connected to my pc.
It also comes with 2 remotes, one is IR, the other UHF, so I can change the pc channels anywhere in the house, independent of the main tv.

Its not in HD though of course.

deadken

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2004
I could get another cable box (that would be #3) and put it under her desk with the outputs running into the TV Tuner card, but I really don't think that it'd be worth the $5-$7 a month for the number of times she'd use a channel that she doesn't already get.

I also wouild have to take another look in the box for what kind of inputs I could put into the TV Tuner card. IIRC the HD boxes don't put out anything less then component. I can't remember if this Tuner card has a Component 'dongle'.

ibex333

Diamond Member
Mar 26, 2005
Originally posted by: deadken
FWIW: I live on Long Island NY and have Cablevision also. I recently bought my daughter a Hauppauge HVR-1600 and split the cable into both analog and digital tuners (I wasn't having too much luck with the antenna I bought and the Hauppauge tech suggested I split the cable into both). I get all the local channels in HD, but no others that I get in my cable package (no Discovery, National Geographic, etc...). Since I only wanted my Daughter to be able to watch American Idol in HD on her PC (ch. 5), the card did what I expected. I wish it would get the 'other' digital channels, but it doesn't.

-Good luck, Ken

BTW: My daughter takes screenshots of AI while she watches it and posts them to the AI forums during the commercial breaks. She DOESN'T even watch AI in HD since whenever she takes a screenshot the show stutters for 1-2 seconds. What a waste of time and effort.:brokenheart:

Thank you. This is what I expected... I wonder why do people even bother with HTPCs then... If they want to watch local channels on their PC, that's hardly a reason to build a whole new PC, and if they want to watch blu/ray they can buy a Blu-Ray player... If they want to watch Divx, avi etc on their TV, many DVD players have a usb input... The only good reason I saw for building an HTPC is to record cable programming with good quality AND do all of the above.. Apparently that's not possible yet. :(

Binky

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
The only thing you can't do (reliably) is record cable or satellite HD channels. You can record off-air HD content with almost no problems.