TV Tuner Card Suggestion... Compatible w/Nvidia GPU

vikingblade

Sep 20, 2005
Hey guys, im currently running an ati radeon 9700 all in wonder pro. its old for games, but the tv tuner features are nice. unfortunately, there really arnt any ati all in wonder, pci express cards available yet... especially that can compare to a geforce 7800 GT performance wise.

so, im looking at a 7800gt for gaming and possibly a 2nd TV Tuner card for TV Viewing/Video editing-recording.

Any suggestions for a really good TV Tuner card that will be compatible with a geforce 7800gt? the ati wonder elite looks decent but... worry bout conflict with nvidia 7800.

vikingblade

Sep 20, 2005
Any idea if i can run my ati all in wonder pro 9700 in an agp slot for my tv tuner and a nvidia geforce 7800 gt in a pci express slot for my main graphics card???

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
Originally posted by: vikingblade
Any idea if i can run my ati all in wonder pro 9700 in an agp slot for my tv tuner and a nvidia geforce 7800 gt in a pci express slot for my main graphics card???

to my knowledge, there are no motherboards with both AGP and PCI-E x 16 slots.

that being said, check out the PVR150.

vikingblade

Sep 20, 2005
bummer..

the pvr 150 looks nice, is it a philips tuner or... how does it compare to the theatre 550 boards.

rise

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2004
i just got one of the 550s and i think it blows away my old pvr-150. the software is somewhat weak but i also haven't had alot of time to play with it.

but the picture quality is great. reasonably priced too, ~80 from the egg with a remote and fm tuner.

vikingblade

Sep 20, 2005
what 550 did you get... is the picture quality better than the 150??

the 150 comes with that remote blaster..looks cool. does the 550 come with it too

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
I've heard good things about the Hauppage PVR cards. Also heard good things about the MyDVD cards.

I've got an ATI HDTV Wonder myself, for the love of god, do not buy that card. Until ATI gets off their lazy butt and fixes the many software issues. Took my months to get the thing working with my Nvidia 6800GT.

Peter

Elite Member
Oct 15, 1999
Er, yes there are mainboards that have proper AGP 8x and PCIE 16x side by side. Lately, that even shows up in the desktop arena. ASRock 939dualsomething for example.

However, keep in mind that AIW TV and video features only work when the AIW is the primary card.

PCI TV tuners? Go with something that uses a recent Philips main chip and a Philips "Silicon" tuner (no tin shielding box on card) for best feature set and quality. KWorld has cards from $30, IIRC.

vikingblade

Sep 20, 2005
how do i find out which cards use a new philips chip.

what is difference in quality between the 550 pro and the philips

do all the ati 550 chips have software problems..

Traire

Feb 4, 2005
If your going to want to record TV to your hard drive, or have Tivo like functions, I would go with the ATi 550 (the Saphire 550 are cheaper) or the Hauppauge 150. If you just want something to display TV on your computer, or you want to hook up a xbox/PS2, the Kworld cards would be a good choice.

And software is easily replaced. I would reccomend looking at http://www.tv-cards.com for free software.

rise

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2004
Originally posted by: vikingblade
what 550 did you get... is the picture quality better than the 150??

the 150 comes with that remote blaster..looks cool. does the 550 come with it too

this one. and yes the pic quality is better than my pvr 150.

Lothar1974

Golden Member
Mar 24, 2003
I had the same video card you have and it crapped out on me, got a BFG 6800 GT, also got an ATI TV Wonder Elite and love it other than the crap software it came with. i use Beyond TV 3 software, you can get it online for like $45. Picture quality is great when watching TV on my PC. Plus the Beyond TV 3 software lets you customize quite alot. No issues yet, I record TV shows all the time and burn most of them in SVD (Nero), and they qaulity is still damn good(to me at least). Good luck!

konakona

Diamond Member
May 6, 2004
Peter, thank you for detailed comments.

I went thru the Kworld offerings at newegg, and they had several other conexant based cards. There are two 7131 varaints, but neither shows which chip it is based on. Do these cards have the newer philips chips on them? Thanks

Gamingphreek

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
Originally posted by: Peter
Er, yes there are mainboards that have proper AGP 8x and PCIE 16x side by side. Lately, that even shows up in the desktop arena. ASRock 939dualsomething for example.

However, keep in mind that AIW TV and video features only work when the AIW is the primary card.

PCI TV tuners? Go with something that uses a recent Philips main chip and a Philips "Silicon" tuner (no tin shielding box on card) for best feature set and quality. KWorld has cards from $30, IIRC.

The boards may have both on them, you cannot use them both simultaneously.

-Kevin

cptstern

Nov 2, 2005

I have the ASRock board with the ULI 1695 chip with both AGP and PCIE. My video card is a AIW 9600xt, I love the TV function with dual monitors but I needed something faster for games. Just to check out my options I stuck a PCIE x300 card it. That worked flawlessly. I could watch tv on any of the three monitors and play games on the "primary monitor".

Next I pulled the PCIE x300 and stuck in a PCI nvidia 5000 series card I found. 3 monitors again but monitor hooked the nvidia card was stuck at 640x480 with 8 colors and the tv function wouldn't work. I do think the motherboard thought the PCI card was primary though so that is something I can try.

I would be nice if I could confirm I could get dual monitors and TV to work with my AIW 9600 in AGP and a 7800 PCIE card. I am a little worried about running both the ATI and nvidia drivers. It just sounds like I am asking for problems.

Maybe ATI will bring the price of the x1800 cards in line.