TV to PC for gaming, any specs I should look for?

Dryst999

Feb 25, 2010
So I will be building a new rig this month and i'm thinking about adding some extras to create an amazing entertainment center in my bedroom. New rig will be pretty beefy, here a few of the important specs

i7 3770 OC'd to 4-4.5Ghz
16gb DDR3 1600
2x6850 Radeon running CF (Already have these)
240gb SSD + 2tb 7200RPM HDD

Right now i'm using a 28' Monitor. I'm thinking of about adding a 40-50inch TV to use as a primary monitor. I love PC gaming but hate sitting in my computer chair. I have a wireless xbox controller with the PC dongle, if I could mount a TV on the wall I could play in bed which would be HEAVEN.

I've never used a TV as a monitor before, i'm really worried about the quality. I'd like to keep the TV in the $400-$800 range but will spend more if it's worth it. What specs should I look for in a TV for this setup? Would any 1080p TV work?

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
While I don't really know about the TV, I have some other comments on your rig:

A 3570k should be just as good as that 3770k, unless you're doing lots of video conversion. It might even clock higher.
You don't need more than 8GB RAM unless you're doing Photoshop or video editing.
2x6850 == microstutter city. :( First rule of General Hardware: ask before you buy. (Or is it the second? I forget. :p)
240gb SSD - is that one with a Sandforce controller? I suggest a 256GB Samsung 830 or Crucial M4.

I have heard that TVs used this way need a "gaming mode" or some such thing to turn off a feature that makes the picture lag.

Nov 26, 2005
I've often wondered about this as-well. How are Plasma TVs with their high refresh rate? Is their input-lag less than on a mainstream consumer-market LCD?

Durvelle27

Diamond Member
Jun 3, 2012
i game on a 1920x1080 tv using gaming mode and it works great and consider getting a LED tv that's 120Hz

Slugbait

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
How are Plasma TVs with their high refresh rate?
Plasma refresh rate is 60Hz...but I digress, you're prolly thinking of response time, and it's simply regarded as "instantaneous". I get no ghosting or motion blur when playing HL2 or Crysis, which is quite common on LCD TVs.
Is their input-lag less than on a mainstream consumer-market LCD?
Sometimes less, but for most plasma models it's usually zero.

cl-scott

ASUS Support
Jul 5, 2012
From a technical standpoint, any TV with the proper inputs should work. My experience is that TVs make acceptable monitors, but the LCD panels used are somewhat lower quality and so they are not as good at displaying static images. For gaming, where the image will likely be changing often, I wouldn't worry about it. It would be the web browsing or whatever else you might be doing with it.

It would also be a good idea to consider some of the "back end" costs. Plasma sets may have better image quality and response rates, but they use considerably more power and generate a lot more heat. So long term a plasma set will cost a lot more to own, and if you're using it in a relatively confined area, it will be like a small space heater. The tradeoff for lower power consumption and heat with LCDs is possible ghosting.

Also, if you're going to do a setup with a 40+ inch TV, you should make sure not to skimp on the sound system. A good surround receiver and speakers will make a nice compliment to a big screen.

mfenn

Elite Member
Jan 17, 2010
www.mfenn.com
2x6850 == microstutter city. :( First rule of General Hardware: ask before you buy. (Or is it the second? I forget. :p)

Definitely the second. The first is: fill out the sticky. :awe:

OP, overall I agree with Ken, you could optimize your costs on the PC itself a bit to enable you to spend more on the TV. I can definitely see the argument for getting a 120Hz refresh rate plasma due to their instant response times, true blacks, and good color quality. There are two issues to be aware of though:

- Burn-in. This is not nearly as bad on current models as it was in years past, but it can be an issue if you have the thing sitting on the desktop for hours on end.
- Cost to run: a plasma uses a lot more power than your typical LCD and so will cost correspondingly more to run.

Given that this is a display for gaming and video only (reading text from 6'+ away isn't my idea of fun), I think the two issues above can be easily mitigated by just turning off the TV when it's not in use.

WiseUp216

Platinum Member
Mar 12, 2012
www.heatware.com
My PC is hooked up to a 50" Samsung plasma. Looks and plays absolutely amazing.

I've been using it for gaming & everyday stuff since December 2010 and I have no burn-in at all. Stick with a newer model Samsung or Panasonic and this isn't an issue anymore.

mfenn mentions the only negative that I can think of: heat. It throws off a considerable amount. Great in the winter, horrible in the summer.

Yuriman

Diamond Member
Jun 25, 2004
Do plasma's really have near zero input lag? Every LCD TV I've used as a monitor to date has had terrible input lag.

mfenn

Elite Member
Jan 17, 2010
www.mfenn.com
Do plasma's really have near zero input lag? Every LCD TV I've used as a monitor to date has had terrible input lag.

Plasma TV's have instantaneous pixel response time. However, that says nothing about input lag because input lag is determined by the amount of post-processing that occurs within the TV's image circuitry. The amount of processing that occurs in a TV's electronics doesn't have too much to do with the actual display technology.