TV Speaker and Sound Bar Issue

Mac762

Dec 26, 2016
Have a Sharp Aquos LC-37D62U TV. Just purchased and hooked up a Samsung Soundbar. (HW-K450) Unfortunately I get no sound from Soundbar. I have it connected through the optical digital cable. I have disconnected Everything from the Sharp with the exception of the soundbar in attempt to verify there is no conflict with another device. Soundbar plays music fine with Bluetooth connection to smart phone, so it doesn't appear to be a soundbar problem.

Samsung said I have to turn TV Internal speakers off, however there is no option to do that as far as I have found. In another area of the house I have a LG soundbar connected to a Samsung TV and don't have that TV's speakers turned off and it works fine. Not sure why it would work fine in one instance and not in another even though manufactures are different?

As I noted, I cannot find a way to turn them off. I do see where I can change the speaker setting from Fixed to Variable, however neither of these settings has an affect. Either way, still no sound from soundbar.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated. Thanks In Advance.

Mac

NOTE: NOTE: NOTE:
I don't know how to delete this post but this has been resolved. TY

Last edited:

Mac762

Dec 26, 2016
Called Sharp and Samsung. Apparently if you connect TV to cable box with HDMI that will override any other HDMI connection (and apparently "at least" the soundbar). They advised in that configuration, the only way to connect the sound to that TV is via RCA (analog) connection at TV to the 3.5mm pin connection on soundbar. Best Buy has that connection.. I would imagine Radio Shack would have them also. Also, you cannot then use the D.IN setting on the soundbar with that wired connection, therefor the "auto on" function will not work. You will need to turn the TV on with its remote or your cable box remote and the soundbar with its own remote. (Kindofa pain but then I when it irritates me too much I try to remember we used to have to get up to go change the channel and volume.) Anyway, Set the TV speaker to Variable turn the volume all the way up on TV (in Variable mode) and then control the volume by soundbar remote.

Funny because in another area I have an LG soundbar on a Samsung TV and that works fine. My next TV won't be an Aquos. If you come up with another option, please let me know. Thanks

technicallychallanged

Jan 5, 2017
Yes that is what Sharp told me as well. Changing output setting on tv to variable did work to get sound through soundbar for tv sound. That part works & is great. However still no sound when playing video through blu-ray. They said soundbar will not work because tv needs an HDMI arc port which it does not have. Not sure if this sounds right. I am going back to talk with a tech at local electronics store to see if they can solve this. This seems like it should all be so much easier than it is! So frustrating!

Mac762

Dec 26, 2016
Oh hell I haven't even tried the Blu-ray yet. Once I get the TV working I was pretty happy and haven't even got to that part. Please let me know what you find out there. I guess I'll try to hook mine up here and see what happens. And Yes agreed should be "SIGNIFICANTLTY" easier !!! Or at least come with or be advertised with information indicating that there may be installation or connection difficulties with other brand equipment or that it's only fully compatible with certain TVs.

technicallychallanged

Jan 5, 2017
Talked with Sharp again. They say the soundbar will not work with this tv. Went back to best buy. They say they have heard of some soundbars not being compatible with some devices & the only way it will work is if everything is connected with a receiver. So I guess I will be returning the soundbar & going to another store to see what my options are. What a shame. this was a x-mas gift for my parents now I am back to square one. By the way I have the same tv model with all different brand devices connected to a Harmon Kardon receiver by hdmi. All devices work that way. Good luck with your blu-ray.

Mac762

Dec 26, 2016
1) Going with a receiver would make it work with everything from what I'm understanding?

2) I'm in a similar situation as I got sound bar for the wife and her TV setup. ( We watch in different areas because I watch "real" TV - Things like NFL Ticket / Star Wars... You know Real TV.. Not the Survivor / Bachelor Stuff LOL) (Hope you can appreciate the Feeble attempt at Humor.) Anyway.. back to the point, you said you're returning your soundbar. I got mine from Best But and have been using it since Christmas. I wonder if they'll still take it back or if I'm just going to have to buy a receiver?

Course about the time I do that, the 10 year old TV will go out. I'm "assuming" there "are" TVs out there that will work with this sound bar, cable box and blu ray?

Thanks for getting back to me. I guess this is a hard lesson to learn. Quite irritating actually.

Thanks Again.

technicallychallanged

Jan 5, 2017
Hi there. I did return the soundbar & confirmed with yet another electronics store that it would not have worked. So I will be looking for a A/V receiver with HDMI inputs & one HDMI output. Also have to get speaker system to go with it. Much more expensive than a soundbar but it is the only way to get good sound.

Mac762

Dec 26, 2016
Hi there. I did return the soundbar & confirmed with yet another electronics store that it would not have worked. So I will be looking for a A/V receiver with HDMI inputs & one HDMI output. Also have to get speaker system to go with it. Much more expensive than a soundbar but it is the only way to get good sound.

I know this is too late but little update. Mine worked and I can't imagine my TV is older than your parents. As told you once I had found a way to get the TV to work I thought it was good to go and did not take the time to hook up the Blu-Ray. After you advised your setup didn't work, I never even tried and didn't return sound bar because wife said well just move tv to spare room and get a newer unit to go with sound bar. Just tonight I decided to just give it a shot for a what the hell, nothing to lose type thing and it worked perfect.

No sure how you were set up and not that it matters now but as I said I had Direct Tv Box to TV via HDMI. I had TV to Sound Bar by the RCA (Analog) connection at TV to the pinned (3.5mm) connection on Sound Bar. I then connected the Blu-Ray to TV with connection that had RCA type at both ends (TV and Blu-Ray). Had the TV speakers set to variable and bang.... all works.

Sorry I should have tried earlier but when you said it didn't work..... I figured why even try. Anyway... maybe someone else will find this handy?