TV Guide rant

hoyaguru

Jun 9, 2003
OK, if you don't subscribe to TV Guide, this isn't going to matter to you. I was up late the other night, and I got my trusty TV Guide out to see what was on, and I noticed that the last listing was for 10:30 that night. Then there is a little listing grid that shows some channels up to 1:30AM. The next page is the next day, 7PM. Now, they have some new grid thing showing what is on during the day (it sucks), but from 2AM until 7AM, they have absolutly nothing.

I called TV Guide today, and the girl I talked to said that this is something new they are trying, and they took out those listings so they could "concentrate on the Prime Time schedule" (I swear to god, that's what she said). She also told me that they were taking complaints, and she would add my complaint to the list. I pointed out that I had paid for my subscription for the sole purpose of finding out what programs were on (duh) and that they had kind of defeated the purpose of their little publication by taking some of the time out of each day. I asked her how I was supposed to know what was on at 2AM to 7AM, she said I should either go to TV Guide online, or watch the TV Guide channel. I told her, again, that the reason I subscribed to TV Guide was so I could see what was on there, if I wanted to watch 20 minutes of the TV Guide channel to find out one channel, or subscribe to TV Guide online and deal with their spam, I wouldn't have subscribed in the first place. I asked her if I could get a refund for those parts of the day that were missing, she said no. I asked her who made this decision, she said the editors and upper management.

OK, so, isn't this kind of like subscribing to Playboy, and then Heffner takes out all of the naked pictures? WTF? OK, rant over.

HappyPuppy

Lifer
Apr 5, 2001
Use TVGuide Online and STFU. :Q

Unfortunately, they can change their publication any time they choose to. If subscribership plummets they will change it back. For the time being TVGO is your only option. :D

PoPPeR

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2002
i envy the fact that you have so few problems in your life that you find time to bitch about something as stupid as this

hoyaguru

Jun 9, 2003
Originally posted by: PoPPeR
i envy the fact that you have so few problems in your life that you find time to bitch about something as stupid as this

Actually, this is the only thing I do have to complain about. Envy me.

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001
Originally posted by: hoyaguru
Originally posted by: moshquerade
did you get a free subscription or do you pay for it?

Paid for it
heh, i got it for free = no complaints from me.

they have all kinds of free magazine subscriptions online, TV guide is one of 'em.

hoyaguru

Jun 9, 2003
Originally posted by: hoyaguru
did you get a free subscription or do you pay for it?

Paid for it
heh, i got it for free = no complaints from me.

they have all kinds of free magazine subscriptions online, TV guide is one of 'em.

Yes, I had it for free, but after a year I couldn;t get it any more.

booger711

Platinum Member
Jun 15, 2004
i dont see why people actually waste money subscribing to tv guide. get it for free either by checking websites or find something through Hot Deals

hoyaguru

Jun 9, 2003
Originally posted by: booger711
i dont see why people actually waste money subscribing to tv guide. get it for free either by checking websites or find something through Hot Deals

Again, it's not real convenient to go to the other room and bring up a website every time I want to see what is on another channel. Unfortunately, you all seem to be missing the point. I don't know how to explain it any better, but I'll try:

Say you paid for a subscription for your local cable company, and paid them X dollars a month for your programming. You pay for a couple of years in advance, because you get a great price that way. You work the night shift, and get home every morning at 2AM. There's not much to do, so you enjoy watching TV at that time. Halfway through your first years subscription, you turn on the TV, and there is nothing on, every channel is blocked out until 7AM. You call the cable company, and they say, "We decided not to show anything at that time, but you can watch some stuff on your computer if you want, or read about it in Cable Magazine." You paid for this subscription so you would have something to watch at that time, and now you can't. Would you be A: Happy or B: Sad. Would you A: Do absolutley nothing, sit back like an idiot and be taken advantage of, or B: Complain about the situation to your cable company in the hopes that there are other people with the same complaint, and hopefully the idiot who decided to rip you off decides to do the right thing and give you what you paid for.

Or here's a real simple one: You order two pizzas and have them delivered. The delivery dude leaves, you open the box, and realize that two slices are missing from each pizza. Mmmm, pizza, that one should sink in. It's all about getting what you pay for, I personally don't like to get ripped off. I also personally like ranting and raving like a lunatic about it. Let the fun begin!