TV for wife's birthday, for her, not for me.

lakedude

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2009
Some number of years ago I bought a 50" 720p plasma monitor for thousands of dollars. It is not a TV, it lacks any inputs save VGA, it is basically garbage by today's standards.

Anyhow I'm highly impressed that you can get a brand name 50 inch 4k LCD TV for will under $1000. I was looking at the UN50JU6401 at Wal-Mart for $698.

Then I started looking around and thinking that we don't have anyway to output a 4k signal so maybe a 4k TV would not really be needed.

Then I got on Anandtech and discovered that real LED TVs (rather than LED lit LCD) are available and at somewhat reasonable cost. last time I looked OLEDS were thousands of dollars for an 11 inch display!

So I got all excited about the OLEDs until I found out they are curved which I do not prefer. I spent years looking at curved screens that picked up stray light and I'm not going back to that. Also I hear the blue LEDs have limited lifespan...

Suggestions?

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
So I got all excited about the OLEDs until I found out they are curved which I do not prefer. I spent years looking at curved screens that picked up stray light and I'm not going back to that.

Actually the way the LG OLED curves it cuts down on stray light. I have a friend who has one in an open concept house and it really helps.

The LG OLEDs just blow away everything else on picture quality. I would much rather have the 1080p one than any sub-$4k LED 4K TV.

Right now TV buying is easy. OLED or bust.

lakedude

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2009
Thanks guys, the OLED is getting there (price wise) but still a bit too rich for my blood.

Now I'm looking at the LG 60UF7300 60" 4K Trumotion 240hz UHD LED TV w/ webOS 2.0

for 879.99 free shipping no tax.

Unless y'all see an issue with it...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/311526286114

IPS Panel: Yes
LED Plus (Local Dimming): Yes

lakedude

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2009
I have seen curved 55 inch LG OLEDS for $1,398.00 from TV Superstores or $1,449.00 from Nice electronics. TV Superstores is not rated but Nice gets good ratings...

Still a 60 inch 4k for under $900 is looking mighty good...

lakedude

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2009
The price of the LG on ebay just jumped up, looks like I missed that one. Maybe that is a good thing.

Thanks for the review site Kartajan, very informative.

Of all screen defects I hate motion blur the most. Contrast does not bother me so much unless it is really bad. Viewing angle is important (I did not care for those old rear projection TVs at all). Looks like OLEDs suffer a bit in the brightness department which would be important in the bright room it would be hung in. I'd be sold on the OLED if the TV was going in a dark room.

With the price of OLEDs already getting reasonable we might wait till next year and get a flat OLED then.

I think we are done shopping for TVs this year, thanks for the replies. Got the wife a Moto-G 3rd gen to replace her 1st gen (this costs us actual money with our prepaid carrier, it isn't just a free upgrade).

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
Of all screen defects I hate motion blur the most.

It is always easy to tell who is a plasma fan.

That is my one beef about OLEDs- they still can't do motion like plasmas could.

Some people say that all TVs are getting better about it, but what I really think is happening is people who review and calibrate TVs for a living have forgotten how nicely plasmas handled motion.

lakedude

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2009
These contradict one another. Then again maybe you are trying to cheap date your wife. :thumbsup:
Years ago I was single with one income to feed one mouth. Now I'm married with children and have one income to feed 4 mouths. When I was single I might have purchased one of each just to see which one I liked better. Those days are long gone...

Nov 20, 2009
It is amusing watching the marketing of electronics, especially televisions. They will try to through in as many acronyms as they think the consumer can handle and then some just to be sure. The cellular carriers are just as bad.

lakedude

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2009
Update: 55 inch 4k purchased for $309. It isn't the best but it can't be beat for the money.

Reactions: Slyr762