TV Capture cards ...

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Basically I'm thinking of getting a capture card and have a few questions. My main reason for it would be to capture playing some xbox games. I just want to know what type of card is good to get for something like that. It doesn't have to be the top notch quality recording in 100000x100000 pixels or anything, just something to get that job done. I also want to know about how much $$$ I would be looking to spend on this.

Thanks if you can help.

EDIT: i want to be able to capture from my TV. my xbox is hooked to my DLP. i want to capture whats happening on my TV onto my PC. sorry i didn't clarify this.

loup garou

Lifer
Feb 17, 2000
You're not going to be able to play your XBox well, there will be too much lag between what you see on the screen and you button presses.

chiwawa626

Lifer
Aug 15, 2000
Originally posted by: werk
You're not going to be able to play your XBox well, there will be too much lag between what you see on the screen and you button presses.

My main reason for it would be to capture playing some xbox games.

He still has a tv to watch the game on right?

loup garou

Lifer
Feb 17, 2000
Originally posted by: chiwawa626

Where is the output to the TV coming from?

Queasy

Moderator<br>Console Gaming
Aug 24, 2001
The PVR-150MCE seems to be the card of choice right now. Amazon has it for around $60 shipped free.

Queasy

Moderator<br>Console Gaming
Aug 24, 2001

I'd just get splitters and send the signal to both the TV and the capture card. Trying to run the signal through the capture card to the TV will create lag between what happens on screen and what you are doing with the controller.

loup garou

Lifer
Feb 17, 2000
Originally posted by: Queasy

I'd just get splitters and send the signal to both the TV and the capture card. Trying to run the signal through the capture card to the TV will create lag between what happens on screen and what you are doing with the controller.
Splitter makes sense. The rest is exactly what I said in my first post.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001

yes i will be capturing from my DLP TV.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
also i was wondering exactly how you setup your TV to your PC. does the TV have to have an output (i'm assuming it does) that hooks to the input on the capture card, then it can record?

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001

eelw

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 1999
Originally posted by: purbeast0
also i was wondering exactly how you setup your TV to your PC. does the TV have to have an output (i'm assuming it does) that hooks to the input on the capture card, then it can record?

You need to split the output from the console before it gets to the TV and computer. Alternate option is to connect the composite video to the TV and S-Video to the computer. This way, you only need to split the audio signal.

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
Originally posted by: RossMAN
The PVR-150MCE seems to be the card of choice right now. Amazon has it for around $60 shipped free.

http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.aspx?catid=40&threadid=1498178

Your video card should have TV out, that's what you connect to the TV.

so the card can record from its output that hooks to the tv?!? that seems kinda of not right.

You need an INPUT source (coax cable) to get the TV signal into the PC to capture and record then it either OUTPUTS to your monitor or your TV (via your video cards TV OUTPUT).

Make sense?

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Originally posted by: eelw

You need to split the output from the console before it gets to the TV and computer. Alternate option is to connect the composite video to the TV and S-Video to the computer. This way, you only need to split the audio signal.

Here's the TV I have.

it says it has "Video Out". i have my xbox hooked up w/component cables to it. Can I just run the Video Out to the capture card while my xbox is hooked w/component cables, and it can capture it?

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001

http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.aspx?catid=40&threadid=1498178

Your video card should have TV out, that's what you connect to the TV.

so the card can record from its output that hooks to the tv?!? that seems kinda of not right.

You need an INPUT source (coax cable) to get the TV signal into the PC to capture and record then it either OUTPUTS to your monitor or your TV (via your video cards TV OUTPUT).

Make sense?

check the post i have right above this one. i want it to capture and what it captures, to be outputted onto my PC. i just want it to save what it captures in .avi or something onto my PC.

eelw

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 1999

Here's the TV I have.

it says it has "Video Out". i have my xbox hooked up w/component cables to it. Can I just run the Video Out to the capture card while my xbox is hooked w/component cables, and it can capture it?

I suspect not. Very few commericial input devices can capture a progressive video. You need to capture the interlaced analog feed.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Originally posted by: eelw

Here's the TV I have.

I suspect not. Very few commericial input devices can capture a progressive video. You need to capture the interlaced analog feed.

so if i turn off the 480P support, then it should work w/it hooked in component still, correct?

i mean i guess i could just hook it up w/the normal A/V cables if need be when i want to capture, as long as i can still view it in 16:9 w/normal A/V cables.

aside from that, running the Video Out from my TV to the capture cards Video In, the capturing should work that way correct?