• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."

TV Behind a Picture?

Lost_in_the_HTTP

Diamond Member
Nov 17, 2019
I have a Toshiba Dumb TV that is several years old. I haven't watched TV in a number of years, but I hate to throw stuff away. I'm reorganizing the house to an extent and I'd like to hide it instead of having it sit out in the open on a shelf.

I have an oil painting that is several inches larger in both directions. I got the bright idea of mounting the TV on the wall where the picture is hanging. I'd build a frame around the TV to mount the picture. It would be hinged so that it could lift up to ceiling if I ever had the desire to watch TV some time in the future, Wires and cables would be fully concealed. TV is only about 4" deep, but I'd have to add an inch or two for cable connectors.

Is this as stupid as it sounds?

Then again, I'd have to make sure the TV still works first.

Reactions: killster1

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
It is a bit wacky but if you think you'll be happy with the outcome vs work to get there, why not? Then again, 4" deep, +1-2" for wires, + painting on top, is going to stick out quite a bit, might make people think you have a wall safe behind it.

Keep in mind that framing the TV may make it run hotter, but if seldom used, might not make a substantial difference in lifespan. I'd at least make the frame a bit open on the top since heat rises.

On the other hand, I'd consider selling or donating it instead.

Haven't watched TV in a # of years? I could understand not OTA or CATV but not even movies from streaming or local media? That's mostly what I watch but I have to have the early evening news to know WTF is going on locally, except in the past couple years they've drifted towards 25% real news and 75% SJW type content on my formerly favorite channel.

Lost_in_the_HTTP

Diamond Member
Nov 17, 2019
No real work to do. Ordered a 'full motion' wall mount for $20 that will handle at least double the weight. Already have the wood to do the frame. It's more just to put it somewhere out of sight. No value for sale or even giveaway, but I confirmed that it still works. Frame will be done so that I can mount an under cabinet light below it for other uses.

Local 'news' is all self serving promotional stuff and commercials. That was one of the reasons I turned it off. I have a crap load of DVDs and stuff recorded off air before I took the antennaes down 5 years ago that I've never watched. I got a early version Roku puck thing that I never use and I'm not sure is still supported. A simple DVD player can probably be stored inside this 'cabinet'.

Bottom line is I can hide the TV but still have it handy if I get too bored with AT OT and P&N.

Lost_in_the_HTTP

Diamond Member
Nov 17, 2019
Now you see it:

SeeIt.jpg

Now you don't:

DontSeeIt.jpg

Got a little work to do as far as cords and things, but the main stuff is done. It's out of sight, off the floor and not occupying a shelf.

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
Add a mini pc or android box and a remote control then you can watch youtube

Lost_in_the_HTTP

Diamond Member
Nov 17, 2019
Me no do no 'Tube.

All tucked in. Power cord run into the utility room behind the wall. Video cables plugged in and coiled, ready for use if I ever decide to.

Tried my old Roku HD puck thing. Powers up, displays splash screen with logo, then goes dark. Tried several times. Guess it's dead. Only tried HDMI though, not the RCA cables. Figure if it was a bad cable or port, I wouldn't even get the splash screen.

I see a couple of mini format DVD players out there for $25 or so. Might try one of those someday.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
G TVs 2

ASK THE COMMUNITY