Turns on and off repeatedly. No display, no beep codes.

Apebble

Jun 24, 2016
Well hello! If anyone could take a look and help, please do! I'm at my wits end.

So I install everything in a new case. Put everything in. Everything's connected correctly. Short the PSU and test 4 fans and watercooler. All checks out. Plug everything in and there's no display. It turns off and on repeatedly, but the fans and LEDs remain lit. All there is is a flicker on the screen which immediately goes away. Not a flicker of anything, that is. Just a lighter shade of black.

So I went through the entire list of testing what could be wrong found on tomshardware. Still a no go. I've reset the CMOS battery. Still a no go. Tried s a different motherboard. Nope. Tried a different PSU with each mother board. Still nope. Each motherboard uses a different CPU as well, so that's not the issue. Tried different RAM in different RAM slots. Still nope. Tried with and without fans/watercooler. Still nope.

I've tried everything I know how. Hopefully one of you can help!

Motherboards (CPU): Z87-Plus (4790k); DH55TC (875k)
PSU: 750W Corsair cx750m and a 500W
Still occurs with and without VCARD.
RAM is one 4GB PNY and a 4GB Corsair. Neither fix it alone or together. 240 pin
Case : HAF 932 Advanced
Still occurs with and without SSD.

Any ideas? I've checked for anything that could short the mobo, and don't see anything, but let me know if that could be the issue and I'll do a much more thorough look.

Please lend a hand. It's been a long, long day. Thanks!

TuSpockShakur

May 28, 2014
Bad power button on the case maybe? Have you tried to turn it on without the front panel connected (Tapping the two "PWR" pins with a flat head.)?

Apebble

Jun 24, 2016
Bad power button on the case maybe? Have you tried to turn it on without the front panel connected (Tapping the two "PWR" pins with a flat head.)?

I have, but not in that way. With the 87 Plus, there's a power button on the motherboard and I used that and still nothing. How would I go about doing what you said?

TuSpockShakur

May 28, 2014
To do this you would tap the two pins circled in red (bottom right of image) with a small flat head screwdriver. Use a small one as you only want to touch those two pins.
2mnrs0p.jpg

JeffMD

Platinum Member
Feb 15, 2002
I don't think there is such thing as a bad power button that would do this. The button either shorts the connection, or it doesn't.

If you can't get any POST codes, and you can't get a display up, then you kind of have 2 options. Remove things from the case and do a boot test outside of the case to remove the chance of a short, and use a different power supply to rule out a bad power supply.

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
Make sure there is a fan connected to the cpu fan power connector on the board. Also, make sure all case mounts on the board have screws.

Apebble

Jun 24, 2016
Ok. I have some news. Tried what TuSpock suggested with both MOBOs. No luck. Tried it with/without the GPU, 2 RAM sticks, and all the combos possible. Tried a different monitor. Still nope.

Moved one of the MOBO's to a different case and got the same issue, which means it isn't the case. I got a 3 beep code with one RAM stick, but reseated it and it went away.

SO what this must mean is one of the following: both MOBOs failed, both CPUs failed, both cases failed, or both PSUs failed.

I'm leaning towards the 2 MOBO's failing, considering I find it highly unlikely a CPU which was working 2 days ago would suddenly go kaput without any reason. I also doubt the RAM is an issue since there would/could be a beep code telling me so. And the PSUs both power everything, both of which successfully powered a rig 2 days ago. And one of them is brand-spanking new.

I have a new MOBO coming in on Wednesday (gotta love 4th of July weekend...) so we'll see if that fixes it unless anyone has any other ideas. It's rather perplexing and I somehow doubt 2 of everything would all of a sudden fail...

EDIT: @Ketchup Tried it with and without a fan plugged into the CPU fan slot. Still a no go. Also, do you mean Stand-offs for the MOBO? If so, I have all of the ones necessary for it and still a no go.

JeffMD

Platinum Member
Feb 15, 2002
Bad RAM usually still allows you to boot, too. A bad cpu can happen during a move if you touch the pads and inject static electricity into it. Also the pins in the socket, make sure you did not bend any of them! I did this to one of my motherboards, the intel socket design is total shit.

I really doubt both of anything you have failed.

Apebble

Jun 24, 2016
Bad RAM usually still allows you to boot, too. A bad cpu can happen during a move if you touch the pads and inject static electricity into it. Also the pins in the socket, make sure you did not bend any of them! I did this to one of my motherboards, the intel socket design is total shit.

I really doubt both of anything you have failed.

Tried a boot outside of the case. Still a no go. The pins on the MOBO don't appear to be bent on either one. Everything still powers up, though, so still doubt it's a PSU issue.

And as unlikely as it would be for both to have failed, there's gotta be one guy in the universe that it'll happen to. May as well be me :D

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
So does this hardware work in the previous case?

Also, for the 4790k Asus says that you need BIOS 2003 of better. For the DH55TC, BIOS 204 or better. While it would be extremely odd for it not to boot at all, there isn't too much left outside of a grounding/switch issue.

Apebble

Jun 24, 2016
So does this hardware work in the previous case?

Also, for the 4790k Asus says that you need BIOS 2003 of better. For the DH55TC, BIOS 204 or better. While it would be extremely odd for it not to boot at all, there isn't too much left outside of a grounding/switch issue.

The 4790k only sits in the Z87. LGA specifications don't match the DH55TC. And the bios of the Z87 should be at least 2003, as it fully booted no more than a week ago with that no go. Though I have no way of actually testing that.

What would I do about a ground/switch issue?

And no, it doesn't work in the previous case(s)

Apebble

Jun 24, 2016
Try to boot the system with minimal hardware outside of the case.

Already tried that. Only had the MOBO, CPU and one stick of ram in there. And without the RAM (but got the memory error beep code). Also with and without the CPU fan.

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
Although modern Intel CPUs will throttle, I can't imagine running a CPU without any cooling as being a good idea.

Apebble

Jun 24, 2016
Although modern Intel CPUs will throttle, I can't imagine running a CPU without any cooling as being a good idea.

Which is why I did it as both lol. The issue began while using a cooler, so that's certainly not the issue. Forgot to add that I was also using the heatsink. And tried again with the intel HSF

Jan 27, 2002
A friend of mine came to me with a very similar sounding problem. Turned out he hadn't installed the risers between the motherboard and the case. So the mobo was shorting on the case.

Risers in, sorted.

I'm absolutely not suggesting you've done this ;)

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
The brief on/off indicates that the power supply protection circuitry is activating so CD is probably correct about it being a grounding issue. Time to disassemble and see where this grounding is occurring at. Does your ps have any power status indicator/error indicators on it?