Turnoff Apple flag appearing on a PC machine

Gustavus

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
A couple of years ago I built a P4 machine running Windows XP for a friend who had never had a computer. Naturally she became addicted to it and not long ago bought an Apple notebook -- top of the line --so she could use a computer when traveling. She also paid QWest to install a wireless link at the machine I had built so she can log on from anywhere in the house. She wanted to have all of the files she had accumulated over the two years she was working with the PC I built for her on her notebook, so she paid the shop who sold her the Apple notebook to transfer everything on her old system to the 500 GB drive in her notebook.

She called this morning to say that when she tries to log off of the machine I built, that a warning box pops up saying another user is running and that closing down may lose their files etc. On bootup, a box appears saying Shutdown Apple -- where normally it would say Shutdown Windows -- and it reports 1 program is running.

Windows Task Manager however does not show a running program, nor does anything odd appear in the processes list of WTM. I have looked in the Program Files on the C drive and find nothing that could be associated with the problem.

Clearly the people at the Apple store did something when they copied her hard disk to the laptop -- perhaps creating a hidden partition containing software for the Apple, but so far I can't find it.

She expects me to "fix" the machine I built for her, and I would be glad to do so -- but want to stop short of a reformat and reinstall.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000
Maybe they created a new user account named Apple for their transfer process and left it enabled?

Gustavus

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
If I go to Control Panel/User Accounts, Apple does not show as a user, yet the Windows OS clearly thinks Apple is a user

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000
Mmmm, maybe they defined a network or shared drive for the Apple and that's what Windows is seeing.

Gustavus

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
Lanyap,
Thanks for the suggestions. I do not have her computer here, but plan to go over to her home in the morning to see what I can figure out. I will take a number of diagnostic softwares with me to look for among other things hidden partitions, users etc. She only had the one machine before she bought the laptop so I did not set up a LAN for her and as best I could tell -- from what she said -- there is no LAN set up between the laptop and the machine I built for her. I will of course check to see if they set up a LAN.