Turn your 1080p monitor into 1440

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

PrincessFrosty

Platinum Member
Feb 13, 2008
www.frostyhacks.blogspot.com
Weighted means it takes the distances into account, it doesn't distort patterns. We know 4:1 downsampling is nicer, but heavier, and some cards cant do it.

I posted evidence of why this is simply not true and explained in detail why, you've done nothing to actually address any of these points.

A black and white pattern which is weighted across an average like that will result in a grey mess where no grey exists in the original scene, this cannot possibly be considered better image quality by any objective standard.

I go into more depth when testing scaling of 4k/1080p in this thread here - http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2434085&page=2 and have examples of how even when 4:1 scaling is done improperly you end up with less accurate IQ.

It doesn't matter what some cards can and cannot do, what matters is if the feature you're proposing to use is going to increase or decrease IQ, this demonstrably lowers it.

I dunno what's going on with this thread, I tried to click page 2 but get redirect back to page 1, anyway this is the last time I'll address this, no one is interested in talking specifics just rejecting evidence for no reason.

Last edited:

Flapdrol1337

Golden Member
May 21, 2014
A black and white pattern which is weighted across an average like that will result in a grey mess where no grey exists in the original scene, this cannot possibly be considered better image quality by any objective standard.
Doesn't matter. The grey is the best approximation.

If you do a checkerboard pattern from 4 pixels to 1 it'll be completely grey too.