Turn a flashlight into a handheld burning laser

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SilthDraeth

Platinum Member
Oct 28, 2003
Originally posted by: PottedMeat
How does he know that particular laser is 250mW? Maybe a current source would be better for control & maximum power output. That thing is dangerous though. However it's not his fault if some dumbass blinds themselves with what they make.

Anyone know how much that collimator/lens assembly is? Or what model - that www.mfgcn.com website is one of the worst I've ever seen.

650nm 12mm x 30mm is what his instructable lists. And the site has them listed by those sizes etc.

SilthDraeth

Platinum Member
Oct 28, 2003
Just ordered 2 laser modules. I will get back to you guys, I need to grab a cheapo dvd burner, and I got the flashlight to mod. I will be using a mag-lite knock off though. I only own an LED mag-lite and I don't want to ruin it.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Originally posted by: MrDudeMan
What an idiotic thing to broadcast over the internet. The lasers used in DVD drives are extremely powerful even at long distances. They need to pull that video immediately.

Is my sarcasm meter broken?

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
According to comments in the Slashdot story on this, the 250mW rating of this laser qualifies it as being dangerous. The light intensity can cause permanent eye damage so fast that you will not have time to blink. If anyone here is crazy enough to actually make one of these, please do not treat it like a laser pointer and shine it everywhere among people.

SilthDraeth

Platinum Member
Oct 28, 2003
I plan to make a high-powered laser rifle so I can assassinate jack rabbits from a 100 yards with it.

Mrvile

Lifer
Oct 16, 2004
Did anyone watch the "2 cool tricks to do in a restaurant" video? The fork balancing one looks pretty cool...

NuclearNed

Raconteur
May 18, 2001
Marked for a later time when my employer overlords won't be able to censor what I watch.

middlehead

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2004
Originally posted by: NuclearNed
Marked for a later time when my employer overlords won't be able to censor what I watch.
Lucky for me, I AM the censor at my job :D

narcotic

Golden Member
Jul 15, 2004
wow, I see somebody took real seriously his 5th grade science project.
Anyway its a retarded thing, there plenty ways to hurt yourself as it is, no real need for another one that takes all that effort.
Nice post, but the idea itself is like 5/10.

jagec

Lifer
Apr 30, 2004
Originally posted by: MrDudeMan
What an idiotic thing to broadcast over the internet. The lasers used in DVD drives are extremely powerful even at long distances. They need to pull that video immediately.

Are you new to this whole internet thing? You know there are plans for atomic bombs on here, right?

Plus, if lots of people build CO2 lasers at home, a slightly more powerful diode laser isn't a big deal.

And for the record...there's a big difference between lighting matches with the laser, and being able to actually set wood on fire.

Rubycon

Madame President
Aug 10, 2005
This is old news and has been going on for at least a year over at other forums. I guess the photonically challenged just found out. ;)

On a serious note I must add a few things about this video. I will not get into the safety aspect of building a class IIIb laser with no safety features at all. But it is really dumb. Especially using a flashlight housing. I wonder how many people will hose down their eyes with this thing! Gee it's red, that's cool, turn it around BAM! 250mW WILL BLIND YOU before your eyelids can close!!! Do NOT shine it into your good eye ok? ;)

The other thing is the project as outlined in the video shows connecting the laser diode (VLD for short - Visible Laser Diode) directly to the battery! This is VERY BAD for the diode. To understand why requires quite the explanation of rise time response, catastrophic facet failure, etc. Basically the diode is MUCH more static sensitive than anything in your PC! In assembly of VLD products ALL leads are strapped together to prevent stray currents from getting to the diode. A sneeze across the (open) leads is enough to damage it! I'm not kidding. BTW the third lead that's "unused" is actually the photodiode output - used for monitoring the output of the rear facet. This is critical to (again) ensure the diode does not blow out from getting over driven. A colder laser is more efficient so the same current into the junction when the laser is 33°C at 16°C will probably do it in without monitoring and a proper driver circuit to prevent facet damage. Once a VLD experiences facet damage the output will have dark stripes or just stop lasing all together and become an inefficient LED. (DLD - dead laser diode)

On the other side of things the feedback circuit will often provide MORE current as the diode warms up but will always have a max to level off to prevent the diode from cooking itself. As one can see (unlike an LED) this is NOT something you just want to hook up to a battery by itself.

If you really want to learn how to build one that will last, head over to candlepowerforums and check out the laser forum. There's plenty of discussion and some safety information that EVERYONE even THINKING about doing this SHOULD read. I know it's boring but losing your eye (or worse someone else's) is a misfortune you don't want to experience.

In closing I will say I thought I would post this as seeing the video makes me rather angry as it makes it look too easy like retrofitting a flashlight with a new emitter (which technically is correct) but of course modified flashlights are not capable of inflicting permanent damage to one's eyesight! (well at least not yet ;) )

Additionally laser radiation at 650 nanometers does not appear nearly as bright as 532 nanometers of the (now) common green pointer. 250@650nm will look about as bright as 35@532 given similar beam profiles. 35 is still dangerous but 250 is halfway to class IV territory - can burn the skin quickly and damage TFT panels and CCD's found in cameras, for example - instantly. :Q

habib89

Diamond Member
Jan 17, 2001
i will not build this thing for one reason alone.. my 4 year old son loves flashlights....