Turion Vs. Centrino

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Robroy11976

May 4, 2005
I see, i thought Turion was more powerful than Pentium M because of it's 64bit processing. Does the 64bit chip important for the nextgen apps or OS like the MS Windows Vista???

fbrdphreak

Lifer
Apr 17, 2004
Originally posted by: Robroy11976
I see, i thought Turion was more powerful than Pentium M because of it's 64bit processing. Does the 64bit chip important for the nextgen apps or OS like the MS Windows Vista???
I highly recommend you check out our Turion vs Pentium M article for clarification on that :)

ai42

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2001
Turion is 64 bit but who cares? There is WinXP Pro 64bit but what apps utilize that? The answer is very little but perhaps in the future.

I think there is a lot of Pro-AMD mantra going on here and let me remind everyone that the Pentium M is NOT based on the Pentium 4/Pentium D. It does not implement bloated NetBurst, however it does borrow the socket (kind of) and memory controllers and chipsets. However ALU/FPU performance between the P4/PD is entirely diffrent to the PM.

However it must be said that the PM is a much longer established notebook processor and Intel has sunk millions into marketing etc and it has been around for several years. The sheer number of PM laptops out there puts the Turion to shame. You almost have to purposely seek out a Turion to buy one.

In the end don't take the opinion of any of us read some reviews with actual numbers. However, since it is a laptop I wouldn't really base my decision on the processor alone. Undoubtley both processors are great and will perform. As it is with all laptops look at the feature set and the whole package and not simply one aspect of it.

ShellGuy

Golden Member
Mar 1, 2004
That is because the Turon is a brandnew chip to the market. You are comparing apples 2 oranges. Please keep things the same. Where is Intels' Mobile 64bit chip?????

Will G.

jbyrtus

Apr 21, 2005
hey, i'm back.

lots of reading and lots of information: thanks.

to clarify my needs:

Gaming is a non-issue. I have an OK desktop (amd2800, 9800, 1024,etc) that handles most everything.

My essentials for a laptop, under or around $1000, are:

1) Size: 15.4" and under
2) 512mb (preferably one stick)
3) 40GB h.d. (5400rpm if possible)
4) Battery Life

Keeir

Jun 7, 2005
1.) both P-M and Turion have models from 12" to 15.4". Turion's however can be significantly harder to find as not many producers are making Turion laptops...

4.) Battery life is well hard to quantify... is you read the Laptop article someone posted on this tread you see the important consideration is use... Pentium M appears to be better for prolonged heavy use, but Turion(ML and MT even better than the article) is better for intermitten use but powered on state

Personally, I never considered the difference in battery power to be a major concern. For the price premium that Pentium-M usually carries over the same end performance Turion, I can grab an extended/second battery and have better lifetime...

In the end, your probably the best off finding the whole package of what you need rather than relaying of the small differences between the processors...

makken

Golden Member
Aug 28, 2004
WOW. SO much misinformation thrown around eariler in the thread, ROFL.

Most 'budget' (sub $1000) laptops are now switching to the turion instead of the celeron, which is a great thing if you're in that field; much better performance overall. For the higher end laptops, you'll be hardpressed to find a Turion in those.

But honestly, find the laptop that best suits you, If that happens to have a turion, so be it, if it happens to have a Pentium M, it doesn't matter, as those two perform nearly identical.

Don't worry about the 64bit of the turion; by the time apps actually come out that takes advantage of 64bit, the processor will be grossly outdated already.

Intel's 64bit mobile processor will be launch 2nd Half of 2006

Finally, just to clear things up.
Pentium M is the Intel Mobile processor
Celeron M is the Intel Budget Mobile processor
Centrino is a marketing platform (includes Pentium M processor, Intel Proset wireless LAN, and either an 855 or a 915(Sonoma) chipset)

unfalliblekrutch

Golden Member
May 2, 2005
for budgets, the turion is definately the way to go. however, for high end, it'll depend completely on your needs.

BlingBlingArsch

Golden Member
May 10, 2005
only problem turion faces is that its such a new product and the notebook area is kinda slow in adopting new things. so it will take months and maybe Turion² to have a wide choice for AMD notebooks. Besides the Turion performs very well and if the review of laptoplogics is reliable then its very competitive to P-m. So the only problem is to find a high quality laptop equipped with a Turion. And btw AMD seems to be not able to provide hardware stores with retail Turion. The only model u can buy at least here in germany is the MT-30. No chance to get hands on any other model. That sucks imo, cuz id like to have the opportunity to buy a highclocked Turion and a cheap S754 with onboard gpu et voilá have my own low power, passively cooled, surfing and office and download rig.