Tune-UP time! Start now for the Pent!

cellarnoise

Mar 22, 2017
TTony has talked so much "stuff" over the past few years.

We need to make sure we can back this "stuff" up soon!!!

This could be a crazy year with so many projects not able to handle the load. So look up and tune up stuff and instances starting now!?

Reactions: crashtech

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
TTony has talked so much "stuff" over the past few years.

We need to make sure we can back this "stuff" up soon!!!

This could be a crazy year with so many projects not able to handle the load. So look up and tune up stuff and instances starting now!?
Too bad Skillz killed it for me, I will have over 1400 cores idle thanks to him. At least it will save me a lot of $$$ on electricity.

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
@Markfw, everybody approaches this hobby differently. We have got different monetary budgets which we are ready to put into it, and also different budgets of spare time which we are ready to spend to research things, implement stuff, optimize how we get more results within the limit of our budget, and keep stuff up and running.

Some buy (or buy & build), some rent, some combine both approaches. Some are in a position to use company resources, more of us are not. Some don't have wife and kids, others do. Some have cheap electricity, others don't. Some are living in a country with Western/ Northern standards of living, others in the South, Southeast etc.. Some build just for DC, others build for gaming and reuse for DC. And so on.

Though the scoreboard of a DC contest indiscriminately shows just the points, but not from what type of computer they came from and if it was bought, rented, or borrowed; or if the owner was free to go in fully, or saving up for summer vacation, or caring for a parent, or whatnot.

(And Pentathlon is only about team points, not individual points.)

Markfw

May 16, 2002
For you Stefan, I will contribute cores from the 8 boxes I have up. Unless the power bill comes in lower than expected, I may add one. Thats a 2970wx, 3 5950x, 4 7950x and a 7950x3d. The GPUs will all stay on F@H. Hoping to be down under $500 a month this month.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
For you Stefan, I will contribute cores from the 8 boxes I have up. Unless the power bill comes in lower than expected, I may add one. Thats a 2970wx, 3 5950x, 4 7950x and a 7950x3d. The GPUs will all stay on F@H. Hoping to be down under $500 a month this month.
Update. I never expected my lowball offer to win on the 9654, but now that I am suck buying it, its going to run 100% during the Pentathlon.. Assuming my heatsink survives.. Best I can find.