Tummy Sticks Out. Help!

fantasticstar

May 15, 2020
Hi,

I've been conscious of my pot belly since I was a kid. I've been on and off training and dieting for nearly 8 years now. I'm able to lose and gain weight easily. But my distended tummy and manboobs remain constant. I just don't know what I'm doing wrong or if it's something I just can't fix. I think I will post about my man boobs in another post. I just wanted to ask about my distended stomach in this one because I've been training my ass off the past two months in lockdown and I've been on IF and I eat no more than 1600 Kcals a day. I've lost 8 kilos (from 71 to 63 kilos) in two months but my belly still sticks out and I still end up looking flabby when I put a fitting shirt.

Some videos on youtube point in the direction of Anterior Pelvic Tilt, some say it's a swayback. Some lead me to think it's Pectus Excavatum. Some, rounded shoulders. After looking at hundreds of videos and trying out several exercises and reading a ton of articles I'm still not sure what the solution is, if there's at all one.

I would be grateful if someone with a similar issue could shed some light on what's to be done.

Thanks a lot.

I'm new to the forum so I'm not sure if i'd be able to attach images. I'll try to.

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG-5216.jpg
    IMG-5216.jpg
    506.2 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG-5237.jpg
    IMG-5237.jpg
    263.3 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG-5269.jpg
    IMG-5269.jpg
    423 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG-5271.jpg
    IMG-5271.jpg
    414.5 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG-5273.jpg
    IMG-5273.jpg
    365.2 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG-5278.jpg
    IMG-5278.jpg
    520 KB · Views: 28

deadlyapp

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2004
I'd say part of it is your pelvic tilt, certainly. I also think your nutrition is probably garbage if you're training heavily and only eating 1600 cal / day.

There's nothing wrong with the protrusion of your stomach, but there is no musculature, so I'd think about strengthening your core - deadlifts, squats, weighted core exercises.

I'd evaluate your carbohydrate intake - high carbohydrate diets that aren't associated with resistance training has a tendency to increase belly fat, and since you're already lean it becomes more apparent.

Your "man boobs" don't appear to be as significant as you feel they are. Same thing - if you feel they are too "flabby" then you need to do more weight training, focusing on your pectorals. Working the lower pectoral will give more musculature to the lower part and less "sagginess"

Reactions: fantasticstar

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
Quick glance shows some pelvic tilt and poor posture to be your problem, especially in the shoulders.
Screams "I sit at a desk all day".

Look familiar?
woman-with-rounded-shoulders.jpg

Some simple, fairly quick daily routines can help fix your posture.
There is TONS of stuff on youtube and wiki

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tp8KPPffIJw&t=456s

Toss in some simple core strengthening exercises and dump trash\hacks\marketing BS from your diet.

Finally STICK TO A SCHEDULE.

fantasticstar

May 15, 2020
Quick glance shows some pelvic tilt and poor posture to be your problem, especially in the shoulders.

Look familiar?
woman-with-rounded-shoulders.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tp8KPPffIJw&t=456s

Toss in some simple core strengthening exercises and dump trash\hacks\marketing BS from your diet.

Thanks Pauldun170,

Yes, I've been at a desk job for nearly a decade now.

I've in fact tried these exercises but I guess I haven't been consistent as I wasn't sure what exactly my problem is. It turns out swayback and APT are two different things. I've only recently started to work on my shoulders and neck I will stick to that and update in a month or so.

How long are these corrective exercises necessary and by when can I expect to start seeing changes?

Thanks for your help.

Cheers!

Look familiar?

Thanks Pauldun170,

I've in fact tried these exercises but I guess I haven't been consistent as I wasn't sure what exactly my problem is. It turns out swayback and APT are two different things. I've only recently started to work on my shoulders and neck I will stick to that and update in a month or so.

How long are these corrective exercises necessary and by when can I expect to start seeing changes?

Thanks for your help.

Cheers!

fantasticstar

May 15, 2020
Thanks Deadlyapp,

I typed out a reply and I'm unable to post it. I keep getting back an error message stating that my content looks like spam or inappropriate. Not sure why. I'll try again in a few minutes.

Thanks!

fantasticstar

May 15, 2020
Thanks, deadly app.

Are you able to tell if it's APT or Swayback? Apparently, the two are very different problems and I'd be damaging my back if I did corrective exercises for APT and had a swayback.

I do a lot of HIIT and bodyweight and dumbbell exercises as a part of my routine. I spend about an hour every day. This includes my corrective exercises as well. I recently got a foam roller and a swiss ball and have been doing exercises for rounded shoulders, it's been 3 days. How long do you reckon I must do this to fix my posture?

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
Thanks Pauldun170,

Thanks for your help.

Cheers!

Thanks Pauldun170,

Thanks for your help.

Cheers!

I'd say 4 to 8 weeks to correct it and if you have a desk job your next step will be putting together permanent routines to combat the desk job to prevent future onset.
On top of the posture fixers, yoga\strength training will help eliminate the risks of desk job work.

fantasticstar

May 15, 2020
Deadlyapp, I'm on a low caloric diet and IF to speed up fat burn. I don't intend to stay on it forever. Once I know I've lost most of my fat I'll return to a more sustainable diet. I just wanted to take advantage of the luxury of not having to go to work.

Gardener

Nov 22, 1999
You look like a normal, healthy human.

If you are worried about it, tweak your posture, hold in your gut. Its part of western tradition to hold in the gut. Except for my father-in-law, Harold, may he RIP.

The abdominal cavity holds most of your organs. Having a minor amount of distension is normal, better to have everything down there where it is supposed to be than putting pressure on your heart and lungs.

If you are still unhappy, build up your upper body, makes the torso seems less. But again, you look great, love thyself.

mike8675309

Jul 17, 2013
an excessively low caloric diet will halt fat burn, that is why people say to beware. It's not really good for more than a few weeks before you'll see a slow down in fat loss. Body Builders will cycle to keep the fat loss going as they get closer to a show
You can work with a chiropractor to identify any structural issues, as well as to get physical therapy the issues are related to muscle weakness in various areas.
To lose fat long term you need to identify your calorie intake needed for your physical activity to maintain your weight. Then cut 250-500 calories and monitor the weight loss. As you lose weight you'll need to adjust your calories to keep the deficit. (as you weigh less, you'll need less food). If you start to plateau you need to add in half of what you cut, and do that for a couple weeks, then try to cut again.

deadlyapp

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2004
Deadlyapp, I'm on a low caloric diet and IF to speed up fat burn. I don't intend to stay on it forever. Once I know I've lost most of my fat I'll return to a more sustainable diet. I just wanted to take advantage of the luxury of not having to go to work.
focus less on calories and more about eating the right foods. Low calorie and IF don't "Speed" up fat burn, they just put you in a massive state of caloric deficiency and rapidly drop your metabolic rate which makes burning calories and losing weight even harder. Fuel yourself correctly and eat whole foods and in balanced amounts and you'll probably see your weight start to come down.

With that said, if you've been eating something stupid like 1000 cal/day, don't go up to 2000 cal/day right away, add in about 200 cal extra / day and adjust that up every 1-2 weeks.

fantasticstar

May 15, 2020
You look like a normal, healthy human.

If you are worried about it, tweak your posture, hold in your gut. Its part of western tradition to hold in the gut. Except for my father-in-law, Harold, may he RIP.

The abdominal cavity holds most of your organs. Having a minor amount of distension is normal, better to have everything down there where it is supposed to be than putting pressure on your heart and lungs.

If you are still unhappy, build up your upper body, makes the torso seems less. But again, you look great, love thyself.
Thanks, Gardener. Thanks for the positive feedback. I do agree with everything you said. I'm just trying to make something out of this lockdown since I have the luxury of time and no responsibility. I've been doing a lot of posture correction exercises and I'm beginning to see some changes.

fantasticstar

May 15, 2020
an excessively low caloric diet will halt fat burn, that is why people say to beware. It's not really good for more than a few weeks before you'll see a slow down in fat loss. Body Builders will cycle to keep the fat loss going as they get closer to a show
You can work with a chiropractor to identify any structural issues, as well as to get physical therapy the issues are related to muscle weakness in various areas.
To lose fat long term you need to identify your calorie intake needed for your physical activity to maintain your weight. Then cut 250-500 calories and monitor the weight loss. As you lose weight you'll need to adjust your calories to keep the deficit. (as you weigh less, you'll need less food). If you start to plateau you need to add in half of what you cut, and do that for a couple weeks, then try to cut again.
Thanks, Mike.

Yes, that's probably what was happening with me. I will try your technique in about a week. I've currently started an extended water fast for a week. I'm hoping to reduce to sub-60 kilos by the end of it. I will get back to regular methods after this fast (if I can even manage it, it's only my first day).

fantasticstar

May 15, 2020
focus less on calories and more about eating the right foods. Low calorie and IF don't "Speed" up fat burn, they just put you in a massive state of caloric deficiency and rapidly drop your metabolic rate which makes burning calories and losing weight even harder. Fuel yourself correctly and eat whole foods and in balanced amounts and you'll probably see your weight start to come down.

With that said, if you've been eating something stupid like 1000 cal/day, don't go up to 2000 cal/day right away, add in about 200 cal extra / day and adjust that up every 1-2 weeks.

Thanks, deadly app. Posture correction seems to be helping, even if it's only a bit at the moment. I intend to stick with it for a few weeks.

As for my diet, that's more or less my plan (to up my calories to around 2000 over a course of 2 weeks). But that will be after my extended fast. I just want to try it for the heck of it.

mike8675309

Jul 17, 2013
You need to be super careful with a water fast. Particularly due to your low-calorie diet you claim to have been on for a long time. You could easily put your body into shock causing things to start shutting down. Undereating for a period of time and then doubling down with water fast is asking for trouble in my personal view.

fantasticstar

May 15, 2020
You need to be super careful with a water fast. Particularly due to your low-calorie diet you claim to have been on for a long time. You could easily put your body into shock causing things to start shutting down. Undereating for a period of time and then doubling down with water fast is asking for trouble in my personal view.

Yes, I understand it's risky. But in a couple of weeks, I won't have the luxury of time and my mother's supervision. Appreciate your concern, Mike. But I think I should be able to pull through.

It's my third day and so far it's been tough but nothing alarming. Also managed a 4km jog today. I feel like I'm able to tolerate hunger today more than yesterday. I've already lost a little over a kilo. So I'm happy with the progress. I will post before and after pics if anyone's interested, at the end of my fast. Cheers!

deadlyapp

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2004
Yes, I understand it's risky. But in a couple of weeks, I won't have the luxury of time and my mother's supervision. Appreciate your concern, Mike. But I think I should be able to pull through.

It's my third day and so far it's been tough but nothing alarming. Also managed a 4km jog today. I feel like I'm able to tolerate hunger today more than yesterday. I've already lost a little over a kilo. So I'm happy with the progress. I will post before and after pics if anyone's interested, at the end of my fast. Cheers!
You may feel like your body is getting leaner, or more fit, or whatever, but as soon as you come out of a water fast your body will bloat right back up.

Water fasts are the worst thing you can possibly do unless you're trying to make weight for some type of weighted sport, and even the professionals try to avoid that.

fantasticstar

May 15, 2020
You may feel like your body is getting leaner, or more fit, or whatever, but as soon as you come out of a water fast your body will bloat right back up.

Water fasts are the worst thing you can possibly do unless you're trying to make weight for some type of weighted sport, and even the professionals try to avoid that.

I broke my fast last night. I couldn't go beyond 4 and a half days, not because I wasn't able to physically. It's just that my family kept cooking and ordering in delicious food and it was hard for me to resist. I lost nearly 3kilos in 4 days. I'm 59.7 now. My first sub-60 since adulthood.

You're probably right about gaining the weight back. But it does have some health benefits, my lipomas have shrunk to half the size which was a surprise. However, I'm ravenous since the time I broke the fast, nothing is enough. So maybe I'm on my way to gain that lost weight back. Nevertheless, it was a unique experience.

Pictures attached. I'm not sure if you can tell, my posture has improved a little (from the exercises). The before pictures were taken one day into the water fast. Also, I'm not tucking my tummy in or flexing. Pictures were taken right after I woke up, which is when my tummy looks the best. Honestly, if my tummy can look this was all through the day, I won't ask for more. I hate the way I look in the evening. Is this something everyone feels?

Overall, I'm happy with my progress. This is probably the best I've looked all my life. Thanks to everyone. I pray I don't binge as a result of the fast and be worse off. Haha.

Attachments

• Before front C.jpg
    Before front C.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 9
  • Before side C.jpg
    Before side C.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 9
  • After front C.jpg
    After front C.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 10
  • After side c.jpg
    After side c.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Reactions: mopardude87

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
I swear by green tea FOR ME at least, as i would most herbs. I practice herbalism and found green tea amazing for weight lost as i have found other stuff extremely powerful as well for the bettering of ones self. I highly suggest reading any side effects prior to consuming any herb of course.

I have lost over 35 pounds in about 2 months mainly sitting on my ass, replacing soda and beer with green tea and water. I swear by it, have a look into it if anyone stumbles across it.

Last edited:

deadlyapp

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2004
I swear by green tea, as i would most herbs. I practice herbalism and found green tea amazing for weight lost as i have found other stuff extremely powerful as well for the bettering of ones self. I highly suggest reading any side effects prior to consuming any herb of course.

I have lost over 35 pounds in about 2 months mainly sitting on my ass, replacing soda and beer with green tea and water. I swear by it, have a look into it if anyone stumbles across it.
Yeah of course if you stop consuming high calorie sugary drinks and beer and replace it with essentially zero calorie tea water you're going to lose weight.

Don't try to pass off "herbal remedies" as a method to reach weight loss. It's just as bullshit as other "diet teas."

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
Yeah of course if you stop consuming high calorie sugary drinks and beer and replace it with essentially zero calorie tea water you're going to lose weight.

Don't try to pass off "herbal remedies" as a method to reach weight loss. It's just as bullshit as other "diet teas."

Sigh, honestly i went from only water to tea and the weight lost greatly increased damn near immediately. Very sorry if it hasn't worked for you. I assume it hasn't cause of your attack and that is ok. I accept your criticism and will fix the post accordingly just a bit. I should have remembered honestly that it won't work on everyone.

As far as herbal remedies, they sure as shit can work but of course its gonna vary from person to person. I went from weeks at a time with no sleep to being hooked on hydros for severe back pain to finding a working herbal solution for every day issue i have. I have had medicine give me severe side effects to the point i could have been in the er, to them simply not working. For me herbalism has been a tremendous life changer.

deadlyapp

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2004
Sigh, honestly i went from only water to tea and the weight lost greatly increased damn near immediately. Very sorry if it hasn't worked for you. I assume it hasn't cause of your attack and that is ok. I accept your criticism and will fix the post accordingly just a bit. I should have remembered honestly that it won't work on everyone.

As far as herbal remedies, they sure as shit can work but of course its gonna vary from person to person. I went from weeks at a time with no sleep to being hooked on hydros for severe back pain to finding a working herbal solution for every day issue i have. I have had medicine give me severe side effects to the point i could have been in the er, to them simply not working. For me herbalism has been a tremendous life changer.

One more reply and then I'll back out gracefully. Note I didn't say anything about herbal remedies not being able to help you with other underlying things - whether or not its pain, sleep, etc. There is plenty of confirmation bias with herbal remedies and literally zero science behind most of them, but if your mind accepts something as a fix, and it works, then who am I to dispute it.

Weight loss is not one of those though. Calories in / calories out is all that affects weight. Perhaps the amount of tea you drink directly has an effect on how much you eat (vs when you were only drinking water) or your body finally got to a point where it was ready to lose the weight, but saying "drink green tea and you'll lose weight" is flat out incorrect. If you're taking some sort of diet tea, like previously mentioned, that has something that increases your heart rate, then maybe I'd believe you - but I'd also say that you're putting your heart into overdrive and likely over long term will increase your likelihood of a stroke or heart attack.

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
One more reply and then I'll back out gracefully. Note I didn't say anything about herbal remedies not being able to help you with other underlying things - whether or not its pain, sleep, etc. There is plenty of confirmation bias with herbal remedies and literally zero science behind most of them, but if your mind accepts something as a fix, and it works, then who am I to dispute it.

Weight loss is not one of those though. Calories in / calories out is all that affects weight. Perhaps the amount of tea you drink directly has an effect on how much you eat (vs when you were only drinking water) or your body finally got to a point where it was ready to lose the weight, but saying "drink green tea and you'll lose weight" is flat out incorrect. If you're taking some sort of diet tea, like previously mentioned, that has something that increases your heart rate, then maybe I'd believe you - but I'd also say that you're putting your heart into overdrive and likely over long term will increase your likelihood of a stroke or heart attack.

When i mean i drink green tea, i take actual tea bags and heat up water and dip the bags for a good 7 minutes then drink it immediately after while its still hot. I don't mix sugar with it or buy it already made, the diet stuff has those substitutes that give me the runs and cotton mouth. I have perhaps on a avg day 3 20 oz cups of hot green tea in a day . Keep in mind my diet currently is VERY poor, i eat tons of processed foods and pasta and breads and pizza. I figured i would start with my drinks then work towards food, i tried both before at the same time and did not have the will power prior.

Appetite wise its still the same as before. I have a daily routine with a friend as we share meals so nothing with the food has changed but it will soon next time i shop. I do wanna dump the tea eventually very soon, then balance out my diet further. Thanks for the look out on the effects of caffeine, it does seem the more weight i lose the more sensitive i am to the caffeine. Before the new diet, i could suck down 300mg in one sitting and barely feel it, now black tea and coffee are to much.

I could only share what has been working for ME at least, i known people who have tried indica who went from stressed to straight up paranoid and have bad trips while the same exact edible as i only consume it as such helps me with back pain, sleep and anxiety.

I got theories about the science and acceptance but honestly as a free thinker, i will be shunned the very second i even post theories or ideas about it. People don't like free thinkers, people are to used to conditioned thinking. I will conclude my "case" and drop from this thread as well like you. I only aimed to help with my advice, its not bias or hopeful or imaginary. I wouldn't be drinking hot ass tea on 80-90 degree days if i didn't think it didn't honestly help me.